FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

FastCrash45

Elite member
I have started the scout a couple days ago. Here's what I have so far. Even with the crappy glue gun. With the way my arms shake I can't build the way the videos say. More later.

Attachments

• 20190213_114431.jpg
    20190213_114431.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190213_114414.jpg
    20190213_114414.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190213_114507.jpg
    20190213_114507.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 0

mayan

Legendary member
I have started the scout a couple days ago. Here's what I have so far. Even with the crappy glue gun. With the way my arms shake I can't build the way the videos say. More later.
One thing I learned about building is that your plane doesn’t have to look good to fly good. So don’t worry about the looks. Get your control surfaces to work the way they should make sure your CG is right and your plane will fly. I want to add check that you have enough power but if you are using the a or f power pack motors you’ll be more than fine.

FastCrash45

Elite member
One thing I learned about building is that your plane doesn’t have to look good to fly good. So don’t worry about the looks. Get your control surfaces to work the way they should make sure your CG is right and your plane will fly. I want to add check that you have enough power but if you are using the a or f power pack motors you’ll be more than fine.
I have put in the smallest motor i have which is a 2210 9pole. It's discontinued but I found the original specs 2800rpm for 2-3s. My. Concern is over power.😎

mayan

Legendary member
I have put in the smallest motor i have which is a 2210 9pole. It's discontinued but I found the original specs 2800rpm for 2-3s. My. Concern is over power.😎
I feel you my friend. I too fear to over power a plane on it’s first maiden. It took me some time before I beefed up my power systems.

FastCrash45

Elite member
I feel you my friend. I too fear to over power a plane on it’s first maiden. It took me some time before I beefed up my power systems.
I always over power things after I'm used to the item. My 2wd Stampede is now brushless with a 5200kv on 3s 5200mah at 80c. Had to put a 1lb weight on the front to keep the front on the ground long enough to steer it. LOL

FastCrash45

Elite member
It doesn't look awful it's just not as clean as the guys in the video builds. I also found that cellophane tape doesn't stick well to the brown paper. So I use LIGHT duty glass filled packing tape. That stuff sticks to water.

Potter

lesson I've learned about the weather this last week , there's never a time it's too cold or to hot to fly. too wet or too windy ok but if you're waiting for the perfect temp. not good. I finished my build on Friday night and wanted to maiden it on Saturday. 14 degrees when I woke up my wife and son who could care less about RC airplanes didn't want to go it was too cold Fine. Sunday 31 degrees freezing rain Monday 39 wet wet snow. Tuesday more rain wednsday ripped my elevator needed to repair. today 43 degrees sunny beautiful out 18 mph winds. you should have seen me out there I felt like LT. Dan lol Come on you'll never sink this Bird. actually I debated and held off my urges knowing this would end in disaster. moral of the story temp doesn't matter and fly when you can.

FastCrash45

Elite member
lesson I've learned about the weather this last week , there's never a time it's too cold or to hot to fly. too wet or too windy ok but if you're waiting for the perfect temp. not good. I finished my build on Friday night and wanted to maiden it on Saturday. 14 degrees when I woke up my wife and son who could care less about RC airplanes didn't want to go it was too cold Fine. Sunday 31 degrees freezing rain Monday 39 wet wet snow. Tuesday more rain wednsday ripped my elevator needed to repair. today 43 degrees sunny beautiful out 18 mph winds. you should have seen me out there I felt like LT. Dan lol Come on you'll never sink this Bird. actually I debated and held off my urges knowing this would end in disaster. moral of the story temp doesn't matter and fly when you can.
Yeppers, calm where I'm at is 10mph winds. I'm the only wind break between two small towns and 1 mile west of the Missouri River. I guess that's why they call us flyers,"The Dawn Patrol". I've not been up at dawn in 20yrs.😎😁

Kendalf

Getting close! Still waiting on a receiver. I was planning on getting a new 1806 motor for this one but forgot to bid on an eBay auction earlier today. I will need to repurpose the motor and ESC from our Tiny Trainer build. The video shows the servos hooked up to a servo tester to check the control surface throws. Strategy for the challenge is to go as lightweight as possible.
Mini Scout 1.jpg IMAG1353.jpg IMAG1354.jpg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Getting close! Still waiting on a receiver. I was planning on getting a new 1806 motor for this one but forgot to bid on an eBay auction earlier today. I will need to repurpose the motor and ESC from our Tiny Trainer build. The video shows the servos hooked up to a servo tester to check the control surface throws. Strategy for the challenge is to go as lightweight as possible.
View attachment 124335 View attachment 124336 View attachment 124337
Wow, super clean build, Kendalf! The darn thing looks machine made! I also like your servo setup. Hai-Lee mentioned doing a setup like that, and I had a hard time mentally picturing it. Now I know what he meant, and I think I'll use that method on my next build. Your control horns are very interesting as well. Are they made like that to lower deflection in the foam?

Good stuff so far. Can't wait to see it fly!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Second Attempt at the FT MINI SCOUT NEWBIE CHALLENGE!

I got launch at about 1:29 and 'ahem' "Landing" at about 1:31. Two seconds. Hey, at least I'm consistent!! :p

I don't know what happened, though I've got a theory. I don't want to clutter this thread, so I'll be posting more about it in my Mini Scout build thread, over here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/first-scratch-build.55846/page-13

Updated LeaderBoard!

MiniScoutChallengeLB-4.jpg

Kendalf

Your control horns are very interesting as well. Are they made like that to lower deflection in the foam?
Thank you! I'm not sure what you mean by lowering deflection in the foam, but the control horns are actually cut down dental floss from Dollar Tree. I got the idea from this article here, and I think it's one of the best RC plane hacks ever! For my next build, I may actually modify where I cut the floss so that instead of two tiny points of contact to the rudder or elevator, it will be one longer section. It's a bit tricky to glue down these horns using the Titebond Translucent glue that I am using as it takes awhile for the glue to set enough that I can let go of the horn; probably worth using the dab of hot glue to get these to tack down quickly.

mayan

Legendary member
Second Attempt at the FT MINI SCOUT NEWBIE CHALLENGE!

I got launch at about 1:29 and 'ahem' "Landing" at about 1:31. Two seconds. Hey, at least I'm consistent!! :p

I don't know what happened, though I've got a theory. I don't want to clutter this thread, so I'll be posting more about it in my Mini Scout build thread, over here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/first-scratch-build.55846/page-13

Updated LeaderBoard!

View attachment 124342
Man I was cold just watching the video. The fact that you are taking your son with you always makes it look so much more fun. I’ll through a theory on your other thread as to why it has that right dive. So to sum up we are both down to one last go. Good luck :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Man I was cold just watching the video. The fact that you are taking your son with you always makes it look so much more fun. I’ll through a theory on your other thread as to why it has that right dive. So to sum up we are both down to one last go. Good luck :)
Yep. One last go each for the challenge. Good luck to you as well, my friend!