FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

mayan

Legendary member
Yesterday @buzzbomb put me to a challenge and I accepcted it. Whats the challenge? Well this was how he put it.
You want me to dare? OK. I am. I am going to fly the Mini Scout. I'm going to toss it back at you....:cool: You fly one, too. You've got time. The whole Polar wind shift is really screwing with our weather here. It's at least a week before I have even a chance of flying some more.

I say we have a fly-off. My Mini Scout against yours. We choose our flight conditions at any time, but at least the barely best available on a day when we can fly. Maximum flight time is the goal.

Whas that a gauntlet thrown down? Why yes. Yes it was. Why the heck did I do that? :eek: For fun, naturally. Good luck, my brother. I look forward to your video just as much as you look forward to mine!

So let's put down the rules.
Who is this challenge for? Anyone. So long as they have never flown the FT Mini Scout before.
A participant could fly the thing a hundred times and then post the last video. They could have already flown the Mini Scout and just say that they haven't. We've no way of checking any of that. I do ask that nobody does anything remotely like that. It would completely negate all the hard work, disappointment, excitement and joy that this challenge is going to bring to it's participants.

Who wins? The one with the longest flight time, from the maiden, in the first three flights. When compared to the lowest battery fly time in use by anyone of the participants.
How to qualify to win? To qualify you must share your journey with the rest of us. That includes photos of the build process the final model and anything you find the need to share. Even if it's just you grinning :). Most important you must post the maiden video from launch to landing, no edits just raw footage!
What's the prize? A huge thumbs up from all of us and a *@#! load of respect :).
Who are the judges? Any forum member who has flown the FT Mini Scout more than 3 times and is not participating in the challenge.
When is the winner announced? Every 3 months a poll will be posted for the judges to vote on. The votes will be collected over a period of 10 days after which a king or queen of the FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge will be crowned (And we mean it). Every 3 months a new king or queen will be crowned.

Questions & Answers:
What electronics do you use? Use anything you wish. Remember your flight time is important.
Can I make modify the build? Yes you can. Dare! The whole challenge started out from that.
What do you mean by: "The one with the longest flight time, from the maiden, in the first three flights"? Best flight out of the first three maidens, you pick it. If it's a crash and burn right off the launch, or you've got to trim stuff out, or straighten a wing or whatever, you can do that. If you've got to take it home and work out some things, repair damage, or charge a battery and and then go back out another day? You can do that too.

Good luck and to all of those who decide to join the challenge. Have fun.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
I’ll break the ice and go first. Let’s start building.
7A79A7B9-E8B5-412B-B66B-91B981F87F3E.jpeg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
omg, lost count of how many mini-scouts i have built. if you use the 1806, 12A esc, 6x3 prop, and a 2S-850, you will be able to fly for almost 20 mins if not acting crazy.

good luck,

me :cool:

Mortis

I'm in, I have a 2205 and a 20 amp ESC that aren't being used at the moment.

Just wondering...isn't a 2205 a tad too big for the Mini Scout? I only ask because I've tried using a 2205 in the smaller planes and I just can't get them to balance out.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Just wondering...isn't a 2205 a tad too big for the Mini Scout? I only ask because I've tried using a 2205 in the smaller planes and I just can't get them to balance out.

I dunno, I use it in my FT Alpha, and it seems fine. it weighs 35.7 grams with the prop. I got it as a slightly more powerful alternative to the F pack motor.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Mayan, you sir, are a genius. The idea for starting a thread for the challenge was brilliant! It never even occurred to me. Then you turned my little dare into an open-invitation contest! Spectacular! No pressure on me. No pressure...

My original thought was not just for the longest flight time. We'll be at that for years. It's the Maiden. Best flight out of the first three, you pick it. If it's a crash and burn right off the launch, or you've got to trim stuff out, or straighten a wing or whatever, you can do that. If you've got to take it home and work out some things, repair damage, or charge a battery and and then go back out another day? You can do that too.

I love that you added that a participant has to never have flown the bird before. I will also add that sim time doesn't count...:whistle:;):p

The goal is the longest flight time, from the Maiden, in the first three flights. Video is mandatory, and as you said, no editing. Just raw footage.

It's all for fun. A participant could fly the thing a hundred times and then post the last video. They could have already flown the Mini Scout and just say that they haven't. We've no way of checking any of that. I do ask that nobody does anything remotely like that. It would completely negate all the hard work, disappointment, excitement and joy that this challenge is going to bring to it's participants.

It's just for fun. Let's have some fun! I will also add that there is no time limit. We can crown a new King or Queen of THE MINI SCOUT NEWBIE CHALLENGE! at any time. Once this thread has aged, and you are a newcomer, know that you will then be up against RC pilots who have been working at this for a while. We started as never having flown the Mini Scout. That won't last long. :D

mayan

Legendary member
Yesterday @buzzbomb put me to a challenge and I accepcted it. Whats the challenge? Well this was how he put it.

So let's put down the rules.
Who is this challenge for? Anyone. So long as they have never flown the FT Mini Scout before.

Who wins? The one with the longest flight time, from the maiden, in the first three flights. When compared to the lowest battery fly time in use by anyone of the participants.
How to qualify to win? To qualify you must share your journey with the rest of us. That includes photos of the build process the final model and anything you find the need to share. Even if it's just you grinning :). Most important you must post the maiden video from launch to landing, no edits just raw footage!
What's the prize? A huge thumbs up from all of us and a *@#! load of respect :).
Who are the judges? Any forum member who has flown the FT Mini Scout more than 3 times and is not participating in the challenge.
When is the winner announced? Every 3 months a poll will be posted for the judges to vote on. The votes will be collected over a period of 10 days after which a king or queen of the FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge will be crowned (And we mean it). Every 3 months a new king or queen will be crowned.

Questions & Answers:
What electronics do you use? Use anything you wish. Remember your flight time is important.
Can I make modify the build? Yes you can. Dare! The whole challenge started out from that.
What do you mean by: "The one with the longest flight time, from the maiden, in the first three flights"? Best flight out of the first three maidens, you pick it. If it's a crash and burn right off the launch, or you've got to trim stuff out, or straighten a wing or whatever, you can do that. If you've got to take it home and work out some things, repair damage, or charge a battery and and then go back out another day? You can do that too.

Good luck and to all of those who decide to join the challenge. Have fun.
UPDATES IN GREEN

mayan

Legendary member
The build continues. Printed plans have been connected together and glue to poster board.
F91C3E2D-C4BC-445C-99F0-02178A5E4B05.jpeg

33A6495B-281B-4C41-8754-3C751058A98A.jpeg

More tonight...

mayan

Legendary member
Alright you all getting some progress done here. All the pieces have been cut out and marked ready to be transferred onto foam board. I’ll be using black foam board I feel that it is more durable.

14532563-5C59-4A2A-9987-90241C551F21.jpeg

Anyhow taking a break for now to finish off my new TT modification. Want to test and release it over the weekend.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Hope you all ain’t chickening out and that more join the challenge. Any how I wrapping up for night. Hope to see some progress on your ends.

BB9D48B3-F24A-4FDA-B916-2E19D5FA3893.jpeg