FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

basslord1124

Master member
I think throttle was at about 1/2 to 2/3. I was even giving it hard right and it wasn't budging. BUT it happened so quick that I didn't get it switched to high rates (I was in low rate at launch)

FastCrash45

Elite member
Welcome on board every body. Looking for forward to start making the planes later today.

@Mortis yes that counts. Seems like you have a head start.
Supposedly get mine this tuesday. It might take me longer to build it because I'm adding ailerons. I also have to wait on a motor because the smallest I have is a 2212

FastCrash45

Elite member
Yesterday @buzzbomb put me to a challenge and I accepcted it. Whats the challenge? Well this was how he put it.

So let's put down the rules.
Who is this challenge for? Anyone. So long as they have never flown the FT Mini Scout before.

Who wins? The one with the longest flight time, from the maiden, in the first three flights. When compared to the lowest battery fly time in use by anyone of the participants.
How to qualify to win? To qualify you must share your journey with the rest of us. That includes photos of the build process the final model and anything you find the need to share. Even if it's just you grinning :). Most important you must post the maiden video from launch to landing, no edits just raw footage!
What's the prize? A huge thumbs up from all of us and a *@#! load of respect :).
Who are the judges? Any forum member who has flown the FT Mini Scout more than 3 times and is not participating in the challenge.
When is the winner announced? Every 3 months a poll will be posted for the judges to vote on. The votes will be collected over a period of 10 days after which a king or queen of the FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge will be crowned (And we mean it). Every 3 months a new king or queen will be crowned.

Questions & Answers:
What electronics do you use? Use anything you wish. Remember your flight time is important.
Can I make modify the build? Yes you can. Dare! The whole challenge started out from that.
What do you mean by: "The one with the longest flight time, from the maiden, in the first three flights"? Best flight out of the first three maidens, you pick it. If it's a crash and burn right off the launch, or you've got to trim stuff out, or straighten a wing or whatever, you can do that. If you've got to take it home and work out some things, repair damage, or charge a battery and and then go back out another day? You can do that too.

Good luck and to all of those who decide to join the challenge. Have fun.
I'm in but I guess I'll have to wait for a motor since the smallest I have is a 2212

Kendalf

Finally getting started on my Mini Scout build for the challenge! I've been working on two Tiny Trainer builds (you can see the sport wing for one of them drying in the back).
IMAG1330-01.jpeg

I actually have the Speed Build kit for the mini Scout but for the challenge I wanted to go full scratch build. I'm using Titebond translucent glue so I have to prop up or press or clamp pieces for hours while the glue sets, which makes the build process slow, but I like that it is lighter than hot glue while still being extremely strong when set. It also gives me plenty of time to position and reposition pieces just right after sticking them together.

FastCrash45

Elite member
Supposedly get mine this tuesday. It might take me longer to build it because I'm adding ailerons. I also have to wait on a motor because the smallest I have is a 2212
Just found that my smallest motor is an old 2210 which weighs in at 25 grams. Does anyone think this motor will work or should I wait for the 1806 2280KV?

Kendalf

@FastCrash45 25g is pretty light for a 2210. Does it need a prop adapter (which would be additional weight)? For comparison, the FT Radial 1806 weighs 18g and is already threaded for props. But 25g is close enough, though you may need to move your battery more towards the rear for balanced CG.

FastCrash45

Elite member
@FastCrash45 25g is pretty light for a 2210. Does it need a prop adapter (which would be additional weight)? For comparison, the FT Radial 1806 weighs 18g and is already threaded for props. But 25g is close enough, though you may need to move your battery more towards the rear for balanced CG.
Prop adapter isn't on it but I have several light aluminum prop savers and adapters which aren't more than 1-2 grams. I'm using a powder scale and I know it's very accurate in its readings when reading grams.

FastCrash45

Elite member
I have a cg balance platform and a prop balancer so I should get it pretty close. My fat fingers never did too well on getting cg balance right. Hence the FastCrash45 moniker

basslord1124

Master member
Fixed my linkages, turns out my left aileron was a little down when centered. So all of them are pretty neutral now. Also my rudder control horn got ripped off in the crash. Fixed and replaced it. Still gonna try some glide tests to see if it needs any further adjustment.

mayan

Legendary member
Fixed my linkages, turns out my left aileron was a little down when centered. So all of them are pretty neutral now. Also my rudder control horn got ripped off in the crash. Fixed and replaced it. Still gonna try some glide tests to see if it needs any further adjustment.
What we call a quick repair :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
All right here is the shortest maiden ever.

Absolutely beautiful first attempt! That's what this all about. Just getting out there and doing it! Wonderful!

I've got launch at about six seconds and 'touch down' at about ten seconds. That's a four second flight time! Whoots!

From my limited experience with the Tiny Trainer, and reading what's been posted above, I would also suggest that your launcher try to throw the plane more skyward. It seems like altitude would have done you good.

Here's the updated LeaderBoard!

MiniScoutChallengeLB-2.jpg

Sorry, basslord. I've still got the record for shortest flight time. :p It's OK. It wasn't even part of the challenge. I made it up when I crashed in two seconds flat. :cool:

basslord1124

Master member
Absolutely beautiful first attempt! That's what this all about. Just getting out there and doing it! Wonderful!

I've got launch at about six seconds and 'touch down' at about ten seconds. That's a four second flight time! Whoots!

From my limited experience with the Tiny Trainer, and reading what's been posted above, I would also suggest that your launcher try to throw the plane more skyward. It seems like altitude would have done you good.

Sorry, basslord. I've still got the record for shortest flight time. :p It's OK. It wasn't even part of the challenge. I made it up when I crashed in two seconds flat. :cool:

Hey, not too bad! lol. I was kinda thinking to myself that I bet my youtube intro/outro clips were longer than the flight...sure enough they were! :D

Well even if I didn't win the shortest flight time for this challenge, maybe it will be my own shortest flight time. I've crashed about every Flitetest plane I've built on its maiden flight...except the Seaduck. *knocks on wood*. From memory, I know my FT Storch maiden flight was pretty short too, that was the first FT plane I ever built.

As for launching, I'll keep that in mind. That was my father-in-law who just recently had a stroke. He was a champ and did his best, but he wasn't enjoying the cold too much. Once we finished, he ran back to the car while I gathered my stuff.