FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

FastCrash45

Elite member
I'm gonna get the top spot on the official unofficial spot. LOL
Without the motor bell the cg made it tail heavy and it floated like a heavy piece of paper with the front occasionally catching up to the rear. It flipped length ways a couple times. It wasn't very dramatic except for the blue issuing from my lips. Didn't do much to the plane except grease the right wing tip and loosened the motor pod a bit. I would like to find the prop and bell though. As for video, that would have had a LOT of VERY loud music to cover the blue streaming. Luckily got a new 2205 to put on it😁😁

FastCrash45

Elite member
Go for it! You will learn quite a lot about weight Vs Power Vs Drag in such a push.

15 minutes should be achievable without overloading or overpowering the bird. Just remember keep it light and keep it slow, both of which reduce drag, and the time will be yours!

Have fun!
Yep, my brother sent me an adtech glue gun. It's not the pro 200 but it's very nice, more controllable, and it uses full size sticks. The glue is going to be much easier and light. Going to get another mini scout soon and build it correctly with paper off the inside areas. I've got plans.😁😎

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Yep, my brother sent me an adtech glue gun. It's not the pro 200 but it's very nice, more controllable, and it uses full size sticks. The glue is going to be much easier and light. Going to get another mini scout soon and build it correctly with paper off the inside areas. I've got plans.😁😎
Just remember the example the Japanese gave before the attack on Pearl Harbor. By flying very slowly, with a constant minimal throttle they were able to almost double the range of their aircraft. This allowed them more time over the target without bringing the carriers too close to the action.

Keep it slow and use a constant minimal throttle setting and the record will be yours, (assuming you do not fall asleep from the boredom:sleep:).

Have fun!

FastCrash45

Elite member
Just remember the example the Japanese gave before the attack on Pearl Harbor. By flying very slowly, with a constant minimal throttle they were able to almost double the range of their aircraft. This allowed them more time over the target without bringing the carriers too close to the action.

Keep it slow and use a constant minimal throttle setting and the record will be yours, (assuming you do not fall asleep from the boredom:sleep:).

Have fun!
Oh yeah, the only time I'm gonna use throttle is to get it back up to a decent altitude then 1/4 throttle nice and level until I need to get it up again. Even built heavy like mine I never used more than half throttle. At almost 9min the new battery was down to only 3.9v per cell. 15 min ought to be easy enough to get to when it's built right and light. I was running an 850mah 3 cell with a 40c rating. The new batteries are so much better than 9-13 years ago. Have a great evening. May your flights be long and your landings soft.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Oh yeah, the only time I'm gonna use throttle is to get it back up to a decent altitude then 1/4 throttle nice and level until I need to get it up again. Even built heavy like mine I never used more than half throttle. At almost 9min the new battery was down to only 3.9v per cell. 15 min ought to be easy enough to get to when it's built right and light. I was running an 850mah 3 cell with a 40c rating. The new batteries are so much better than 9-13 years ago. Have a great evening. May your flights be long and your landings soft.
Just a few other things to consider. Higher voltage means higher idle current draw from the ESC. Smaller servos use less power, (I used 3.7 gram servos and smaller are available).
During the climb the propeller blade drag can be quite large, better doing a slower climb with just enough throttle to get the climb going. A rapid max power climb will really kill the endurance. If possible a folding prop might help in the glide!
Doing the ironed FB edges may also add a couple of seconds in the endurance.
During my last flight I actually got bored a few times and actually over used the throttle, (racing and chasing). I chose a SF prop which actually made gliding a waste of energy so I keep the prop rotating at all times so that I kept the drag to its minimum, hence no glide in my flight!

my projection is that you should easily be able to get 20 minuted from the Mini Scout without having to fill it full of batteries!

Look forward to set what you can achieve and then if it can be extended further!

have fun!

FastCrash45

Elite member
Just a few other things to consider. Higher voltage means higher idle current draw from the ESC. Smaller servos use less power, (I used 3.7 gram servos and smaller are available).
During the climb the propeller blade drag can be quite large, better doing a slower climb with just enough throttle to get the climb going. A rapid max power climb will really kill the endurance. If possible a folding prop might help in the glide!
Doing the ironed FB edges may also add a couple of seconds in the endurance.
During my last flight I actually got bored a few times and actually over used the throttle, (racing and chasing). I chose a SF prop which actually made gliding a waste of energy so I keep the prop rotating at all times so that I kept the drag to its minimum, hence no glide in my flight!

my projection is that you should easily be able to get 20 minuted from the Mini Scout without having to fill it full of batteries!

Look forward to set what you can achieve and then if it can be extended further!

have fun!
That's what I meant when climbing to height again. Never been more than half throttle for all climbing. I goosed it to 3/4 when the front end flew off. Oh well it's an old motor. I did get a 2s battery so I'll be using that to save weight. I'll have to check into other props but I want to keep it as close to plan specs as possible. I'm trying to sew how long it'll fly with recommended equipment. Then modify later for a LONG flight.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
That's what I meant when climbing to height again. Never been more than half throttle for all climbing. I goosed it to 3/4 when the front end flew off. Oh well it's an old motor. I did get a 2s battery so I'll be using that to save weight. I'll have to check into other props but I want to keep it as close to plan specs as possible. I'm trying to sew how long it'll fly with recommended equipment. Then modify later for a LONG flight.
Mine was just lightened by removing the paper from the inside of the fuselage only! The outside of the rear fusleage could easily loose its paper without adverse effect. The motor I used was non-standard, (I borrowed it from a mini trainer, (power pod as well). As my motor was only a 1400kV the prop was the max recommended for 3S so I could have gone a little larger but then it was just to see what weight I could save without buying new kit! The ESC was a 12A where a lighter 8Amp would have been sufficient!

You could be onto something here! You could not only "Get the record" but in the process make a very light indoor flier when fitted with a 350mA 2S battery a smaller prop and a matching prop!

Have fun!

FastCrash45

Elite member

FastCrash45

Elite member
Thanks for all the excellent ideas! I've got goals to attain now!!
Mine was just lightened by removing the paper from the inside of the fuselage only! The outside of the rear fusleage could easily loose its paper without adverse effect. The motor I used was non-standard, (I borrowed it from a mini trainer, (power pod as well). As my motor was only a 1400kV the prop was the max recommended for 3S so I could have gone a little larger but then it was just to see what weight I could save without buying new kit! The ESC was a 12A where a lighter 8Amp would have been sufficient!

You could be onto something here! You could not only "Get the record" but in the process make a very light indoor flier when fitted with a 350mA 2S battery a smaller prop and a matching prop!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Only got in a single flight this morning using a 1300 2S battery that is almost 2 years old and rarely used, (mostly stored at full charge). Sadly it turned out to be the last flight of my mini scout as it has now been stripped and gifted to a person who was visiting the field and showed a genuine interest in becoming a fixed wing flier!

As this is going to be my last challenge entry, (unofficial), i thought it should be better than before and so I claim 12 minutes 35 seconds. Video to follow as it is taking forever to process it down from many Gigs to a reasonable file size! Now sure of the seconds as I can access the edited file now that the saving and converting process is completed!

Link to video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jt1FIxLg2FG8MEa3bL4U4rTDmwqOl26n

I enjoyed the challenge and learned a lot!

Have fun!
I can't watch the video. I'm still uploading. That's a change to the LeaderBoard and I've got to continue this thread from that point. My son and I both flew the Challenge, and the video is uploaded, but I can't do much else but type and upload text until I've the REST of my videos uploaded.

I've got some catching up to do with my threads and Challenges. Ya'll just bear with me for another night or so, and we'll be caught up. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
There are many posts I have to reply to. The LeaderBoard is fun, but that's not why we are here. We are all here for the same reason. We want to watch some people fly!

I'll get to updating the LeaderBoard. It's 0530. There are lots of videos I've got to watch and time and I've got to update the LeaderBoard for each. I haven't done that because I've been uploading video for the last couple of days, and I can't do much of anything else when that's happening.

So to sooth your craving hearts, I've got the video of my Third Try at the Challenge, and son's first try. I can now fly that crazy little bird unhindered, as an unofficial participant! Whew! That's a load off my shoulders!

Plus, I think Glory is going to be really fun to fly! Max time in the air? For me, the same as always. Max time getting stupid and not crashing! Then crashing and rebuilding and doing it again. Did I mention that I love this hobby?!! :love:

Here's the video. LeaderBoard update to follow later. For now? Do you remember? 0:02 twice? Darn it, I flew that frackin bird, and it was awesome!! Here's my final entry into the official challenge. Lots more unofficial to follow.

Here is my son's first entry. With a broken bird and lots of other hindrances that I'll go into when I update the LeaderBoard. In the meantime, I want to share the video.

It's going to take me days to catch up with all the posting. In the meantime? I did it. I frackin' flew a Mini Scout. I can not wait to fly her again!

Yes. The Journey Continues. :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
There are many posts I have to reply to. The LeaderBoard is fun, but that's not why we are here. We are all here for the same reason. We want to watch some people fly!

I'll get to updating the LeaderBoard. It's 0530. There are lots of videos I've got to watch and time and I've got to update the LeaderBoard for each. I haven't done that because I've been uploading video for the last couple of days, and I can't do much of anything else when that's happening.

So to sooth your craving hearts, I've got the video of my Third Try at the Challenge, and son's first try. I can now fly that crazy little bird unhindered, as an unofficial participant! Whew! That's a load off my shoulders!

Plus, I think Glory is going to be really fun to fly! Max time in the air? For me, the same as always. Max time getting stupid and not crashing! Then crashing and rebuilding and doing it again. Did I mention that I love this hobby?!! :love:

Here's the video. LeaderBoard update to follow later. For now? Do you remember? 0:02 twice? Darn it, I flew that frackin bird, and it was awesome!! Here's my final entry into the official challenge. Lots more unofficial to follow.

Here is my son's first entry. With a broken bird and lots of other hindrances that I'll go into when I update the LeaderBoard. In the meantime, I want to share the video.

It's going to take me days to catch up with all the posting. In the meantime? I did it. I frackin' flew a Mini Scout. I can not wait to fly her again!

Yes. The Journey Continues. :)
Good start, a lot more adrenaline awaits!

have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
@FastCrash45 and @Hai-Lee first I loved what you two had going on there. Amazing to read through the ideas you both shared and the information that could be obtained by just reading your last posts. I really learned a lot about how to make my batteries hold for longer flights.

As for you @buzzbomb I knew you would make it happen, and you did! I enjoyed seeing your videos, hearing you and your son having a good time together, that's what I want to acieve with my children at some point in the near future. The video was great you had some loops there that seemed like you were going to crash it but managed to pull out, good job on that.

@TacoShako I am so happy for your dad that you too fell in love with the hobby. If you read his earlier posts you'll know how much that means to him. Keep enjoying the time you can get together I'll tell you that at some point you'll both be to busy to get the chance to spend this time together, so don't miss it when you can.

basslord1124

Master member
Finally catching up on this thread. Glad to see some success from @buzzbomb !!

I did get my thrust angle adjusted on mine. The pod now has no thrust angle and after looking at it, my wing is just a hair crooked, so that maybe been why it always wanted to steer to the left. I'm thinking counter acting that with a straight pod will help it fly better. I have high hopes that I'm gonna get some better flight times now that I've stepped down the prop to a 5.

Weather's been a little better here...so maybe my 3rd flight can happen this week. *crosses fingers*