FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Others might disagree but I think this plane flys best with little to now wind espically if flying as a 3 channel.

About launching I agree with @Hai-Lee no need to throw hard if the plane has enough power it should leave your hand easily so a genetle toss should be enough.
Oh, it is definitely more tame in light wind conditions. She fly's like a dream! You know me, though. A little bit of a breeze and you can really throw her around with the polyhedral wing! Is that actual flying? Maybe not. It's the reason I'm up in the air, though! :p

Personally, I've gotten into the habit of gauging throttle level at launch to the wind your throwing into. Then I THROW it. I've only flown two plane models, but I've now thrown them in varying weather conditions. For me? HARD throw into the wind at 30 to 60 degrees above horizon, depending on the wind. If there is no wind, I just kind of toss them.

Downside? You throw too hard, with too much throttle in too much wind and your going to crash. I've got a video of that. Upside? The whole point is to gain altitude. You don't want to do it with throttle alone. If your flying crazy, now your my kind of flying. Guess at how hard the wind is blowing and how much throttle the bird needs to move through it.

You've watched all my videos. How many times have I told my son what throttle level to use, vs. the wind we were experiencing.? It's usually cut, but he always wants me throw the bird. Why? I'm gauging strength of throw, angle of throw and windspeed vs. throttle speed, on an A-Pack, which I know pretty well.

I'm not saying I'm right and anyone else is wrong. I just approach it differently. All I want to do is get into the air and get stupid with it. I've figured out ways to do that. ;)

Last edited:

basslord1124

Master member
It seems like I have been really getting more of a test on hand launching. I did early on with my Horizon Hobby micros but those don't require much at all. Then I went through a period of having a bunch of planes with landing gear. Now I'm back with hand launching, but with heavier planes than before.

Found a rather obvious issue with my Scout that could very well be causing the left bank. Not sure how I missed this issue before. Gonna try something a little different that might help. Also gonna put the angled pod back in. May be able to get the next flight in sometime next week. Looks like little bit of rain and too strong of wind for the next few days.

mayan

Legendary member
It seems like I have been really getting more of a test on hand launching. I did early on with my Horizon Hobby micros but those don't require much at all. Then I went through a period of having a bunch of planes with landing gear. Now I'm back with hand launching, but with heavier planes than before.

Found a rather obvious issue with my Scout that could very well be causing the left bank. Not sure how I missed this issue before. Gonna try something a little different that might help. Also gonna put the angled pod back in. May be able to get the next flight in sometime next week. Looks like little bit of rain and too strong of wind for the next few days.
Waiting to hear what it was.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I cleaned up my plane stuff during my recovery. Managed far less progress than expected during the last 3 weeks. I think I put aside my servos for this. When I work on this late tonight, I will have it ready to film and fly. as it is, it is all built.

basslord1124

Master member
Waiting to hear what it was.

Basically what I discovered was my tail...especially the elevator/horizontal stab...was not level. It was indeed tilted to the angle that would cause it to bank to the left. Straightened it out as best as I could. It still did require some trim, but it's a lot more controllable now. I did get a 3rd flight in (and multiple flights after with plenty of video). Everything ranging from good stable flying to silliness and craziness.

I'll get my 3rd flight video uploaded here in the next day or 2. It's definitely capable of longer but the plane, myself, and maybe the wind had a brain fart and it cut the flight short. It still beat my old time though. I'd like to still have the perfect conditions (little to no wind) to really see how long a battery could last me.

And after that, I'm gonna compile some of the other footage together to put into another video so you all can see what I'm talking about. lol.

mayan

Legendary member
Basically what I discovered was my tail...especially the elevator/horizontal stab...was not level. It was indeed tilted to the angle that would cause it to bank to the left. Straightened it out as best as I could. It still did require some trim, but it's a lot more controllable now. I did get a 3rd flight in (and multiple flights after with plenty of video). Everything ranging from good stable flying to silliness and craziness.

I'll get my 3rd flight video uploaded here in the next day or 2. It's definitely capable of longer but the plane, myself, and maybe the wind had a brain fart and it cut the flight short. It still beat my old time though. I'd like to still have the perfect conditions (little to no wind) to really see how long a battery could last me.

And after that, I'm gonna compile some of the other footage together to put into another video so you all can see what I'm talking about. lol.
Thanks for the input we all learn from others findings. Waiting for the videos :).

basslord1124

Master member
I just wanted to say too...I sort of overestimated this plane. For some reason I thought this plane with its stock setup, I just sort of pictured a quick snappy little 3 channel plane. And really, it's quite the opposite. Just a simple laid back cruiser...nothing too crazy. For right now, I'm gonna let it sit for a while so I can work on other projects and fly some other planes. Might even take that time to paint it and give it some color. But a part of me is also thinking of rebuilding it with some slightly larger aileron control surfaces, perhaps a more powerful motor, and either less or no dihderal on the wing.

And something else I found...this plane has a personal hatred of the wind. In fact no wind is perfect. 5mph is a struggle. :eek:

mayan

Legendary member
And something else I found...this plane has a personal hatred of the wind. In fact no wind is perfect. 5mph is a struggle. :eek:
I think it's not impossible to fly it in wind not over 5mph but would be so much more fun to fly it in a gym or something of that sort.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I agree, the less wind the better for this thing. My second attempt I flew it in 15-20 mph wind and ended up crashing.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I just wanted to say too...I sort of overestimated this plane. For some reason I thought this plane with its stock setup, I just sort of pictured a quick snappy little 3 channel plane. And really, it's quite the opposite. Just a simple laid back cruiser...nothing too crazy. For right now, I'm gonna let it sit for a while so I can work on other projects and fly some other planes. Might even take that time to paint it and give it some color. But a part of me is also thinking of rebuilding it with some slightly larger aileron control surfaces, perhaps a more powerful motor, and either less or no dihderal on the wing.

What?!! This:

2:51 to 3:26. It's not long, but it's windy and I still haven't topped 60% throttle. I'll hopefully be able to fly on Saturday (was going to be Friday, the rain is not going to cooperate.) Good Lord willing, I'll show you what she can do. Or crash miserably, and have to build another. That's always an option! :LOL:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ok. I'm building and reading in between. @basslord1124 Nice flight! You flew that little bird exactly as she was meant to be flown. I recognize that fall from the sky at the end. You flew the whole battery!

You have also done something not a single one of us, in any Challenge I've put out has been able to do. You set a stationary camera, in a little bitty field and managed to keep the plane in the frame, almost the entire time! Props, for that one! Serious props for your skill!

I'm not going to put forth an official time. :devilish: I spend some time on the LeaderBoard updates and I've got planes I've got to ready for flight on Saturday. Worry, not. That was a flight worthy of this Challenge!

Meanwhile I've stuff to do, and oh... Something to prove, you son-of-a-gun! "Oh, she's boring and slow, and can't do anything but cruise around in a light to no wind." Your flight was impressive in the handling skill you demonstrated. Assuming Glory can still fly, I'll show my total lack of skill but absolute abundance of enthusiasm! :LOL:

Before anyone worries, I'm not holding back the LeaderBoard update. I just don't have time to do it. I've got planes to finish and balance! Whoots!

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks @basslord1124 for another submit. It was nice round about flying :). What happened there in the end? I am going to do my last try on Saturday, if I find someone to film me.

Honestly I wish I knew. lol. I think he was dive bombing something he had seen on the ground.

@buzzbomb ... I'm gonna say that either KY winds bite a little harder than SC winds OR our weather forecasters don't know jack. Maybe when they say 5mph winds it's actually 10mph winds! Perhaps it's both!

Ha! :) Thanks on the camera thing. I work with what I got and fly when the opportunities present themselves. Which doesn't always present me with an extra person to do the filming. I'm fortunate too that my cell phone has like dual rear facing cameras which allows for extra wide angle shots. I think the new Samsung Galaxy phones have 3 rear facing cameras! :eek: Even though the dual camera feature is nice, my wife and I both are not crazy about the camera software/setup on our phones (we have the same phone, LGV30).

mayan

Legendary member
@buzzbomb ... I'm gonna say that either KY winds bite a little harder than SC winds OR our weather forecasters don't know jack. Maybe when they say 5mph winds it's actually 10mph winds! Perhaps it's both!
We had that years back where they used to say it would rain and it was sunny and vice versa. I stopped listening to them and started trusting myself.

mayan

Legendary member
This challenge was opened up by myself after @buzzbomb threw it at me and I opened it up the rest of the forum members. I have never expected it to be what it has become a monster thread with tons of great videos and stories about flying the FT Mini Scout. Today I hit the field and did my final submit for the challenge (it sucked), but I don't care it was fun anyways.

After I completely failed my last submit I decided to give it a few more tries as unoffical submits.

ENJOY!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
This challenge was opened up by myself after @buzzbomb threw it at me and I opened it up the rest of the forum members. I have never expected it to be what it has become a monster thread with tons of great videos and stories about flying the FT Mini Scout. Today I hit the field and did my final submit for the challenge (it sucked), but I don't care it was fun anyways.

After I completely failed my last submit I decided to give it a few more tries as unoffical submits.

ENJOY!
What!!?? I saw your video on the Get Stupid With it Challenge, and then you post this?!! Crash, Crash, Crash, it's in the air.... Let's get stupid with it! Ha, haaa!! Your plane flew gloriously and you didn't kid around either. No more of the "let's see how slow I can fly." Oh, no. You let it rip and your plane flew beautifully!

It's not easy to take these foamboard airplanes, that we've put so much time, love and energy into the air and just see what they can do. It is so blasted much fun, though! You were actually looping while barrel-rolling! That's nuts!

Did you crash it? Of course you did. A barrel roll. In a loop? That IS crazy! Plus, you didn't hold back on the throttle. You really just threw the little bird into the sky and played with the capabilities. That sir, ROCKS!

The field was too wet for my son and I to fly today. We try again tomorrow. You've inspired me to notch it up a bit. Thank you.

I'm not going to do the LeaderBoard anymore. It takes too much time and as far as I am concerned you just owned it. You completely came out of your shell and just threw it into the wind and decided to see what it could do.

The Challenge is not over. I'll be posting my next flight with the MiniScout here, I hope all of you will too. Just no more LeaderBoard.

I'm building a new plane. It's...significantly bigger than what I'm used to and it's going to take up my free time for a little bit. New challenge to follow? Let's get stupid with the....:cool:

mayan

Legendary member
What!!?? I saw your video on the Get Stupid With it Challenge, and then you post this?!! Crash, Crash, Crash, it's in the air.... Let's get stupid with it! Ha, haaa!! Your plane flew gloriously and you didn't kid around either. No more of the "let's see how slow I can fly." Oh, no. You let it rip and your plane flew beautifully!

It's not easy to take these foamboard airplanes, that we've put so much time, love and energy into the air and just see what they can do. It is so blasted much fun, though! You were actually looping while barrel-rolling! That's nuts!

Did you crash it? Of course you did. A barrel roll. In a loop? That IS crazy! Plus, you didn't hold back on the throttle. You really just threw the little bird into the sky and played with the capabilities. That sir, ROCKS!

The field was too wet for my son and I to fly today. We try again tomorrow. You've inspired me to notch it up a bit. Thank you.

I'm not going to do the LeaderBoard anymore. It takes too much time and as far as I am concerned you just owned it. You completely came out of your shell and just threw it into the wind and decided to see what it could do.

The Challenge is not over. I'll be posting my next flight with the MiniScout here, I hope all of you will too. Just no more LeaderBoard.

I'm building a new plane. It's...significantly bigger than what I'm used to and it's going to take up my free time for a little bit. New challenge to follow? Let's get stupid with the....:cool:
Thank you my dear friend, for the encourgement and support, I am waiting to see your next flight.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The Mini Scout is only good for slow and boring, you say? She's no good in the wind you say? How about THIS!

Ok. It was a darn challenge just to keep it airborne in the wind. It was not, and I repeat NOT boring! :p That little bird is an absolute blast to fly. Fly her in the wind and I promise, she will keep you on your toes and wanting for more! :)

Here is my son's flight. As usual, he out-flies me. Darn it! :)

The wing folded AGAIN! I'm sure it had nothing to do with the stresses put upon it by the wind. It's all my son's fault. ;) Seriously, I bought a new little glue gun because I was building little planes, and I was using the glue sticks that came with it. They are no good, or the gun doesn't get hot enough. Regardless I built stuff with it and what I built is coming apart. I'm going back to the Adtech Pro 200.

There you have it. An FT Mini Scout flying in the wind. It can do it if you've the skills to pull it off...;)