FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

mayan

Legendary member
The Mini Scout is only good for slow and boring, you say? She's no good in the wind you say? How about THIS!

Ok. It was a darn challenge just to keep it airborne in the wind. It was not, and I repeat NOT boring! :p That little bird is an absolute blast to fly. Fly her in the wind and I promise, she will keep you on your toes and wanting for more! :)

Here is my son's flight. As usual, he out-flies me. Darn it! :)

The wing folded AGAIN! I'm sure it had nothing to do with the stresses put upon it by the wind. It's all my son's fault. ;) Seriously, I bought a new little glue gun because I was building little planes, and I was using the glue sticks that came with it. They are no good, or the gun doesn't get hot enough. Regardless I built stuff with it and what I built is coming apart. I'm going back to the Adtech Pro 200.

There you have it. An FT Mini Scout flying in the wind. It can do it if you've the skills to pull it off...;)
New sub challenge open to everyone flew it in the wind the stronger the more challenge it is! No points system just have fun!!!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
New sub challenge open to everyone flew it in the wind the stronger the more challenge it is! No points system just have fun!!!
Oh yes! Now instead of looking for calm days to fly, I'm looking for crazy wind where no sane person would fly! With a little bitty bird that struggles in the wind? Heck Yea! I am all over that. That Challenge is ON! :love:

basslord1124

Master member
So my party-pooper attitude about the Scout hating wind has sparked a new challenge. Love it!! :D

I had been pondering of making a hot rodded Mini Scout for just such an occasion.

What motor/prop are you running @buzzbomb and how strong are some of those winds?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So my party-pooper attitude about the Scout hating wind has sparked a new challenge. Love it!! :D

I had been pondering of making a hot rodded Mini Scout for just such an occasion.

What motor/prop are you running @buzzbomb and how strong are some of those winds?
Yea, I love how that happened. Thank you @mayan for giving us something else to look forward to. Windy days! :D

Glory is flying the stock FT A-Pack. It's an EMax MT-1806 motor, 6x3 prop, and a 3s 850 mAh batt.

The day started with us flying the TT with the F-Pack motor. My anemometer had the wind at 6 mph. By the time we got to the Mini Scout, the wind was significantly stronger and more sustained. I didn't pull the anemometer back out, but I'd say at least 9 or 10 mph.

A pilot with more skill than us really wouldn't have had that hard a time with it. Plus, it sure was fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
one of my first flights with the not so mini scout built at 150% from the mini plans ..

nearly as big as the simple scout ..which i also have ,but not maidened yet !
I love it! 150% Mini Scout? What? Why? Who cares, she flew beautifully! You were just flying around. Then you just flew around some more. Then some more. Then even more. Yep, still flying around. Then some more. Oh, there's more where that came from, let's just fly around some more. Maybe even some more. Oh, not done yet, we'll fly around a bit, if you don't mind!

That was a truly wonderful flight with a plane that has no reason to exist. I am glad that you discombobulated your heebeegeebees at the end, because that flight was an absolute pleasure to watch an without a doubt has earned it's place among the greats in this Challenge. Thank you.

mayan

Legendary member
one of my first flights with the not so mini scout built at 150% from the mini plans ..

nearly as big as the simple scout ..which i also have ,but not maidened yet !
What a beautiful flying area. Where are you from? BTW what motor are you using on it and how much does it weigh?

daxian

Elite member
What a beautiful flying area. Where are you from? BTW what motor are you using on it and how much does it weigh?
hi Mayan...from uk near liverpool...weight without battery 420 grams and uses a 1300kv 2730 hobbyking motor,running a 8x6 prop usually run the setup on a 3s 1000mah lipo ...the flying field is about the size of a football field ,a little close to the road but i always steer clear of that side ,the tree line side has a river running through it but is open area once above the trees...best part is its 5 minutes walk from home !!!

mayan

Legendary member
hi Mayan...from uk near liverpool...weight without battery 420 grams and uses a 1300kv 2730 hobbyking motor,running a 8x6 prop usually run the setup on a 3s 1000mah lipo ...the flying field is about the size of a football field ,a little close to the road but i always steer clear of that side ,the tree line side has a river running through it but is open area once above the trees...best part is its 5 minutes walk from home !!!
My dream to walk 5 mins to get to the field. I have to drive 20 mins to get there, not that bad but can’t compare to 5 mins walk :).

basslord1124

Master member
Finally got around to finishing this puppy up. This was flight footage from 3 different days that I have shrunk down into 1 "hopefully" entertaining video. Enjoy!

Make sure and watch til the very end. Even more good stuff in the last bits of the video.

mayan

Legendary member
Finally got around to finishing this puppy up. This was flight footage from 3 different days that I have shrunk down into 1 "hopefully" entertaining video. Enjoy!

Make sure and watch til the very end. Even more good stuff in the last bits of the video.
Wow man great video thank you for sharing it, happy you got it down :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

That was a great compilation video! Yes, it was indeed entertaining! :D Your music choice was perfect. It made it seem like the the Mini Scout was toying with you and having more fun than you were. You had some great moments, there. I especially liked where you were playing in the wind towards the end. I said she'd "keep you on your toes." I didn't mean tippy toes trying to get her out of a tree! :p Great video, basslord. Thank you.

basslord1124

Master member
Ha thanks @buzzbomb . I had some other goofy tunes up my sleeve but this one seemed to fit better.

Well even though I would say I'm retired from the challenge and am officially retiring the old FT Mini Scout airframe. I am NOT retiring my adventures with the FT Mini Scout. I will build a new one that will be much sportier and more maneuverable than before (I hope so)...AND...it will be capable of ludicrous speed!! mwahahahahaha!! Got a 2650KV motor on its way and some new props. :D:p

basslord1124

Master member
Mini Scout version 2 is underway...

Attachments

• 0503191619a-1600x1200.jpg
    0503191619a-1600x1200.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!