FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

basslord1124

Master member
Alright! Ludicrous Speed, here we come! "We Brake for Nobody." :D

Sorry @basslord1124, I couldn't load your pic. My DSL is simply refusing. Try the tool in this thread:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/how-to-quickly-resize-pictures-before-uploading.57953/

I've got it pinned to my taskbar, and it takes just a moment to turn that 4mb image into a 4k image that looks just as good online. :)

Fixed the attachment size...should be more DSL friendly now. I uploaded that originally from my phone and pics are huge with it.

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah I heard a lot of snapped wings from others and figured since this one will be peppier I was going to reinforce the wing. Not using CF though, its one of my pushrod wires (marker flag wire). Should work fine though, I would think.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Thanks for fixing the pic, @basslord1124. That build is indeed coming along nicely. I agree that reinforcing rod is a great idea. I'm going to have to come up with something similar when I get to repairing my Mini Scout. I'm looking forward to seeing what your "peppier" Mini Scout can do! :)

mayan

Legendary member
@basslord1124 i did re-enforcing with push rods before just take something that is around 1.2 mm that will be enough. About uploading from your phone I do it all the time I just whatsup my wife the pictures and she send them back that reduces their size tremendously, just a tip.

@buzzbomb the Mini Scout and Simple Scout are both on my repair list as well :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
She lives! Last night I made her a new wing with better glue, this time. Heavy duty packing tape top and bottom along the seam, and also along the leading edge. There is also a barbeque skewer at the rear of the wing at the joint for added support.

IMG_0322.JPG

So today we did this:

She was kind of floaty and acting a bit tail heavy. After the first contact with Mother Earth, I added a quarter to the nose and finished off the battery. I had forgotten how much fun this bird is to fly! Oh. Yes. It was windy. :p

I've also decided that I like having rates and expo programmed in. It's nice to be able to throw a switch and instantly change the handling characteristics of the plane. The expo especially helped smooth out my flying.

Then my son did this:

As per usual he out flew me without even trying. Upward pirouette, downward pirouette and the bugger was even gliding the the Mini Scout. In the wind! Not just once, but over and over he'd drop throttle completely and just fly around. It was pretty amazing. Just to rub my face in his superior flying ability, he naturally landed the darn thing ten feet away.

Ofcourse, he doesn't like the expo. He tried both low and mid rates for about ten seconds each and immediately went to rate 3 which is 100% all around. Show off. Yah, we had a good time! :D

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
New sub challenge open to everyone flew it in the wind the stronger the more challenge it is! No points system just have fun!!!
Of course I had to do that!

She came home with no damage and would just be waiting for the next flight opportunity. Except I'm really curious how she'd handle a bigger motor. Something along the F Pack size, say. Hmmmm...:unsure::D

mayan

Legendary member
I must give it to you @buzzbomb, you out did yourself! You’ve gone on a mission to completely have a good time with your son, and you nailed it! First the DR-1 then then this? Oh and I can’t forget the Simple scout. You’ve made me go to sleep happy, thank you.

Great flying by the way, I think you’ve now understood that I don’t fly full throws for the fun, it’s more fun to be in control of the plane rather it controlling you :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I must give it to you @buzzbomb, you out did yourself! You’ve gone on a mission to completely have a good time with your son, and you nailed it! First the DR-1 then then this? Oh and I can’t forget the Simple scout. You’ve made me go to sleep happy, thank you.

Great flying by the way, I think you’ve now understood that I don’t fly full throws for the fun, it’s more fun to be in control of the plane rather it controlling you :).
I think there is a lot to be said for learning with full throws and no expo. All my crazy antics were mostly on purpose, sometimes just trying to be in control. I wasn't really worried about flying smoothly, I was just having fun.

By the time I moved on to rates and expo (I was tired of bringing home broken planes), my thumbs were pretty calm on the sticks from being everything 100% all the time. In the Army we always trained harder than mission expectancy. It came together much like that. Flying smooth really didn't take any effort. The hard part for me is NOT getting stupid and over-pushing my skill level. A little pushing is good. Too much leads to much repair. I'm working on a happy medium. ;)

mayan

Legendary member
I think there is a lot to be said for learning with full throws and no expo. All my crazy antics were mostly on purpose, sometimes just trying to be in control. I wasn't really worried about flying smoothly, I was just having fun.

By the time I moved on to rates and expo (I was tired of bringing home broken planes), my thumbs were pretty calm on the sticks from being everything 100% all the time. In the Army we always trained harder than mission expectancy. It came together much like that. Flying smooth really didn't take any effort. The hard part for me is NOT getting stupid and over-pushing my skill level. A little pushing is good. Too much leads to much repair. I'm working on a happy medium. ;)
That’s what I wanted to hear :). I am waiting for a moment when I can buy a new Tx just to use expos. I think I will be able to fly much better that way.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This is My Experience:
(my son, may be fired from filming... )
Total time of the documented maiden and follow-up flights were 12-14s (1st:2s, 2nd:5s, 3rd:7s)
The roll and 3ch are what did it in for sure. I will review. and retry. I think once balanced, it looks like fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
This is My Experience:
(my son, may be fired from filming... )
Total time of the documented maiden and follow-up flights were 12-14s (1st:2s, 2nd:5s, 3rd:7s)
The roll and 3ch are what did it in for sure. I will review. and retry. I think once balanced, it looks like fun!
Alright! Good for you for taking on the Challenge, @FoamyDM! That video was so reminiscent of my first few Mini Scout flights, it's almost scary. I'm still not sure why my first never really flew. The second one I built is not only a joy to fly, it's had multiple crashes and is still going strong with just some minor buttressing on the fuselage and a new wing to replace the original faulty one.

I have no worries that you'll figure it out. It's worth it. That little plane can be a rocket, an acrobat, a slow floater and it plays in the wind surprisingly well. I'm really looking forward to your next try! :D

*Darn it, now I want to take my Mini Scout out and play! (With a better camera man. :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Only got about 25 minutes in build time so far and have everything done but electronics and full assembly of the individual components, but painting the parts took a good bit longer, at least an hour or so.

Attachments

• IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0