FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

mayan

Legendary member
I took out my Mini Scout today. It didn't fly long though, I lost a wheel in mid air and when I came down for a landing I crashed and couldn't repair it in the field. I have repaired it though expect for the wheels because I couldn't find the lost wheel :).

Vimana89

Legendary member
I took out my Mini Scout today. It didn't fly long though, I lost a wheel in mid air and when I came down for a landing I crashed and couldn't repair it in the field. I have repaired it though expect for the wheels because I couldn't find the lost wheel :).
Debating even putting the wheels on mine. They aren't very effective and prone to getting chewed up in desert dirt trails, but they take the hit before the prop will.Maybe I will try to outfit my scout with some low profile landing skids in front, just enough to keep the prop off the ground. Won't be as necessary if I stick to two bladed props, but I need to order more 6x3 and was thinking of trying a 5x4 six blader, looks nice and runs quiet. I also have a bunch of CCW 5.5x5 three blades but that might be a little too much pitch for the 1806 motor.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Got my power pod built, worked out basically where I want electronics. I'll be running the servos on the sides like most people choose to do for more room inside and shorter rods.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
So I've found some time to work more on the mini Scout. I left off with the major parts built and painted. This time around, my poster board canopy part came out sloppy and got crinkled up during the build process. A small bit was me not being careful or patient, another was this glue I'm using that is kinda runny and dries pretty fast. Another is that I pre painted that poster board part before attaching it, so it was stiff and warped the opposite direction of the way I needed it to fold. I smoothed and covered as best I can, won't wing a beauty contest but it's not aweful. This is going to be a workhorse trainer plane for me anyway. I found a nifty hack for my receiver and antennas, that leaves more space in the belly and keep my 'tenners completely away from metallic paint. Pics of that attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Interesting way to mount it!

And... are you really going to mount that 6 blade?! :oops::LOL:
Yes. For 🔬 🤓. I have a couple 6x3 and more on the way, but figured I'd give this a shot. It's 5x4 which was a little weak for my 2806 1900kv motors on my deltas which prefer 5x5.5x3, but it should be just right for an 1806. 1806 was one of the recommended motors for this prop. I'm not sure how well it will perform, but it's definitely got the juice to carry a mini Scout and from my experience these props run very quiet. I want to use them on my Dash 8 which uses 1806 motors,so I'm sort of trial testing on single engine planes.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Planned servos out kinda half-...well. You know. Also put the elevator horn on top when I should have gone bottom. They look wonky but are secure and should be perfectly functional. Going to bind and test electronics, trim, then close up the fuselage. It's a bit windy today, so I will likely maiden tomorrow. This plane makes an aweful belly lander in the desert and foam wheels and wire wouldn't last long now either, so I made some corroplast skids that are tough and low profile and keep the prop off the ground.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Everything works on control and thrust tests. Bit of linkage slop, but not nearly enough to bother a RET like this. I ended up glueing in my power pod again, those skewer holes always wear out or break after a couple times mounting and dismounting, and mine went bad before even finishing the build. I just don't like skewers, don't even like 'em to close my hatches, let alone hold a motor in place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
So for some reason, no wind now, the Scout still flies like jank. CG seems right, but all it does is twitch around and handle poorly and stall in every which direction including tip stalls. My first scout was a bit ungainly but I used a heavier motor and it flew better than this. I'll see if I can find a clip of this one failing that doesn't have me swearing at the end. Also tried regular 6x3 prop same thing. The good news though, the plane is still in one piece. Anyone have issues with the mini Scout like this?

Edit; found more than enough footage of me not swearing and the plane flying bad, but most have aweful camera angles because I lost a small part of the stand that allows me to adjust my head cam. I think I have one piece of footage that shows enough.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That is one gorgeous plane you've created! I don't mean that in a condescending or patronizing way. I mean it totally rocks! We've got to figure out why it won't fly and get that six-blade in the air!

I've only flown the Mini Scout with the A-pack and a 6x3. My first one never really flew, but it took an extremely hard hit two seconds into it's very first flight. My second Mini Scout flies wonderfully. It's not twitchy at all and I've had no stalling issues with it. It definitely likes to be nose heavy, though. I hope you can get the video up, so we can try to figure out what's going on.

She's pretty beat up now, but I've got mine glued back together and ready to go. I've got batteries charged and I'm off work tomorrow (well, today. It's pretty late.) Weather permitting, I'll be putting her back in the air in several hours!

mayan

Legendary member
I say dbl check your CG mine flew well the first time second and third were horrible, which leads me to think that it’s CG because I used a different bigger battery on the second and third go with it.

Mortis

Here's my entry. Finally had a good chance to maiden it about a month ago. It wanted to pitch up quite a bit when I applied throttle, so I probably need more down thrust on it. I used a MultiStar 1808-2400KV motor with a 3S 850mAh battery.

All in all, it's a really fun little plane to fly.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

Here's my entry. Finally had a good chance to maiden it about a month ago. It wanted to pitch up quite a bit when I applied throttle, so I probably need more down thrust on it. I used a MultiStar 1808-2400KV motor with a 3S 850mAh battery.

All in all, it's a really fun little plane to fly.
I thought for sure you were going to lose it in a tree at about 2:30! Nice flight with a good looking plane. It looked for all the world like a bird flying over the trees. Pretty cool.

I agree, the Mini Scout is surprisingly fun to fly. I'm tempted to build a third, but I'm still holding out hope that my second build is still airworthy. Hopefully I get to find out soon! :)