FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

Mortis

I thought for sure you were going to lose it in a tree at about 2:30! Nice flight with a good looking plane. It looked for all the world like a bird flying over the trees. Pretty cool.

I agree, the Mini Scout is surprisingly fun to fly. I'm tempted to build a third, but I'm still holding out hope that my second build is still airworthy. Hopefully I get to find out soon! :)

It felt like I was going to lose it a couple of times! I've scratch built at least 6 of the FT planes and I think the Mini Scout is probably the easiest one I've done so far. It's just so small and easy to put together. You might as well just build another!

I just got my first speed build kit (Corsair), can't wait to get it in the air. Although, I definitely won't be flying it at home over the sea of trees.

Mortis

One question about the thrust angle on the Mini Scout...

Is the power pod supposed to be pressed up flat against the top of the fuse? It didn't look like enough down thrust when I tried to push it all the way flat. I just put a couple small pieces of foam between the inside top of the fuse and the power pod to push it down. Glad I did because it obviously needed it and still needs more down thrust.

I can only guess it needs so much down thrust because I didn't get the recommended motor. Used an 1808 vs the EMax 1806.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
One question about the thrust angle on the Mini Scout...

Is the power pod supposed to be pressed up flat against the top of the fuse? It didn't look like enough down thrust when I tried to push it all the way flat. I just put a couple small pieces of foam between the inside top of the fuse and the power pod to push it down. Glad I did because it obviously needed it and still needs more down thrust.

I can only guess it needs so much down thrust because I didn't get the recommended motor. Used an 1808 vs the EMax 1806.
There's a part of the front turtle deck former that folds over and under the top of the fuselage at the front. The powerpod should be up against it at the front, and up against the fuselage at the rear of the powerpod.

The thickness of the folded under piece means the front of the Power is at a lower angle than the rear, and that's where the down thrust comes from. I'm not sure how much difference there would be from a 1808 vs an 1806. I can't see it being significant.

The Mini Scout is a notoriously picky build. It will still fly with many things not right, and even all beat up and repaired. Everything's got to be pretty spot-on to get the most out of it, though. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It was windy. The field was pretty much too wet, but it was spotty and I wanted to fly so badly. I figured I'd put the Mini Scout in the air and if I did well with it, I'd chance the Baby Blender.

Turned out to be a good litmus test.

Not only did the wind instantly take the plane, I managed to immediately find one of the too wet spots and nearly nose dived right into standing water. Nope. No flying today.

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

That "was" one of my new 6x3 gemfan props I'd just received in the mail. Oddly enough, it makes a poor drill and didn't survive my attempt at tunnel digging. One blade was attached by mud only.

Glory is now drying out so I can clean out the motor for our next dubious opportunity to fly. I can't wait! :D

Jimun

Elite member
It was windy. The field was pretty much too wet, but it was spotty and I wanted to fly so badly. I figured I'd put the Mini Scout in the air and if I did well with it, I'd chance the Baby Blender.

Turned out to be a good litmus test.

Not only did the wind instantly take the plane, I managed to immediately find one of the too wet spots and nearly nose dived right into standing water. Nope. No flying today.

View attachment 133286

View attachment 133287

That "was" one of my new 6x3 gemfan props I'd just received in the mail. Oddly enough, it makes a poor drill and didn't survive my attempt at tunnel digging. One blade was attached by mud only.

Glory is now drying out so I can clean out the motor for our next dubious opportunity to fly. I can't wait! :D
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Kbat11700

I built a mini scout with my girlfriend (don't worry, she asked for a plane. No use of force required here).

When I maidened it for her, I noticed it was reaaaaallllyy sensitive to pitch and throttle. A little to much throttle and it would shoot up. And take the throttle off and I was pointed at the ground again. I found myself bobbing through the air with it.

Should I add some nose down thrust angle? Make it more nose heavy? Add more nose down trim? What works for you guys?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Oh... well in that case you should check to see if your elevator is aligned correctly. Also check your thrust angle, you should have a little right and down thrust.

Edit: I meant horizontal stabilizer, not elevator.

Kbat11700

What battery are you using?

A Rhino 800mah 2s. A little smaller but it works (I think).

To be clear, the plane does fly, I just wouldn't want to put a beginner at the controls. It's just so wonky in the air.

I think ketchup might be right about the elevator. I just looked at it and low and behold, there's a little bit of up elevator in there even with full nose down trim. So I think I need a shorter pushrod.
I think

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@Kbat11700, I've got a 3s 850 up front. After a few hard landings and repairs, I now have a quarter taped to the nose to add weight up front. It does sound like yours is a tad tail heavy. Definitely adjust your elevator, and next time you go to the field take some loose change and some tape.

3s is the recommended batt for that plane. It might be difficult to balance correctly with a 2s. The change and tape will allow you to add nose weight on the fly, so to speak. Once you get it weighted so it flies well, you can work on a way to add the same amount of weight but in a better looking manner than just coins taped to the nose.