FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Wait! What is this!? That's not a Mini Scout, what is it doing here?

IMG_0436.JPG

Aaah, but it IS a Mini Scout! The Mini Scout Biplane Prototype Number One. The MSB-X1 or Exsy, as we like to call her. The wing is dropped to the bottom, the fuselage is lengthened front and back and the vertical stabilizer is taller. There's also a second wing. But it's all Mini Scout, and I hope to maiden later on today!

mayan

Legendary member

View attachment 133658

Aaah, but it IS a Mini Scout! The Mini Scout Biplane Prototype Number One. The MSB-X1 or Exsy, as we like to call her. The wing is dropped to the bottom, the fuselage is lengthened front and back and the vertical stabilizer is taller. There's also a second wing. But it's all Mini Scout, and I hope to maiden later on today!
Wow looks great buddy! Can’t wait for the maiden video :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
We flew the SE5, the DR1, the Baby Blender and the Simple Scout today. All those flights have their stories, but most importantly.... Exsy got to maiden and it was AWESOME!! It was such an incredible feeling. Using the Mini Scout as a base, I went all the way back to the plans and designed a new biplane and it FLEW! Just an incredible feeling. :D

Then my son flew it as well. Actually he did more than that. He spent much of the flight without power!

Exsy is prototype number one. I've got a few kinks to work out, but holy cow did she fly! She was nimble to the point of being twitchy and she can loop like a DR1. She can get crazy with the best of them and she soars like a darn glider. I could not be more happy with that maiden. I'm still stoked! :love:

*EDIT* I didn't want to hijack this thread, so I continued development over here. *EDIT*

Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
We flew the SE5, the DR1, the Baby Blender and the Simple Scout today. All those flights have their stories, but most importantly.... Exsy got to maiden and it was AWESOME!! It was such an incredible feeling. Using the Mini Scout as a base, I went all the way back to the plans and designed a new biplane and it FLEW! Just an incredible feeling. :D

Then my son flew it as well. Actually he did more than that. He spent much of the flight without power!

Exsy is prototype number one. I've got a few kinks to work out, but holy cow did she fly! She was nimble to the point of being twitchy and she can loop like a DR1. She can get crazy with the best of them and she soars like a darn glider. I could not be more happy with that maiden. I'm still stoked! :love:
super nice. What a great flying plane. now we all need plans.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
super nice. What a great flying plane. now we all need plans.
I'm having a hard time getting the notches on the struts and wings to line up on the plans and I'm going to add another inch to the nose. I had to shave a chunk of foam off the bottom plate which shouldn't be necessary and my landing gear gave way when my son landed it, so I've got to fix that. Those massive cabane's also interfere with the skewers for the power pod and I've got to tweak that some.

Oh, and somehow I messed up the angle where the struts and top wing meet. I've got to get that worked out. I'm also going to make it 4ch, so I've got to work up the ailerons.

Then I'll maiden the X2 and see how she does. Once I get the design finalized I can put the plans up.

Vimana89

Legendary member

View attachment 133658

This, and the video, area awesome. Great Scout mod! And that feeling when your own design or mod not only flies but flies great,totally worth it👍

andstore

Here’s my FT mini Scout. My 5yr old just finished the paint job👌🏼. Hoping to maiden it very soon.

Defiantly a newbie! Only 3rd post. I’ve never successfully flown a scratch build plane so far. My FT LongEz only lasted max. 6 secs. Only other plane I’ve ever successfully flown is a gyro stabilised micro C17.

I’ve got the Ft Mini Scout Set-up with:
- emax Mt1806-2280kv
- 6040 prop
- BL heli 12A ESC
- 2s 650mA 70c
- 2x 9g servos
This is Australia, so had to use Kmart foam board. Weight seems ok though at 208g (all RTF).

I’ll happily take any Scout-specific pre-flight tips (I’ve seen all the FT preflight videos 😁)

Would it be cheating to take it down to the local RC club and get someone else to fly it first to check that it’s not waaaay off, before my maiden 🤔.
394F0319-5BB4-4536-9FAE-1D5F59614D98.jpeg 0408E102-2DE9-432F-A55C-7F8075E5FD1B.jpeg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Here’s my FT mini Scout. My 5yr old just finished the paint job👌🏼. Hoping to maiden it very soon.

Defiantly a newbie! Only 3rd post. I’ve never successfully flown a scratch build plane so far. My FT LongEz only lasted max. 6 secs. Only other plane I’ve ever successfully flown is a gyro stabilised micro C17.

- emax Mt1806-2280kv
- 6040 prop
- BL heli 12A ESC
- 2s 650mA 70c
- 2x 9g servos
This is Australia, so had to use Kmart foam board. Weight seems ok though at 208g (all RTF).

I’ll happily take any Scout-specific pre-flight tips (I’ve seen all the FT preflight videos 😁)

Would it be cheating to take it down to the local RC club and get someone else to fly it first to check that it’s not waaaay off, before my maiden 🤔.
View attachment 140560 View attachment 140561
Looks great!!

Having someone else maiden the plane for you is perfectly fine, whatever gets you having fun with the hobby is all that matters.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

- emax Mt1806-2280kv
- 6040 prop
- BL heli 12A ESC
- 2s 650mA 70c
- 2x 9g servos

Your daughter did a wonderful job decorating it! One the best Mini Scout Paint jobs I've seen yet! If you've the opportunity it's actually recommended for new flyers to let an experienced pilot maiden their planes. That way they can sort out any issues and get it trimmed out properly.

Good luck, happy flying and I agree with @mayan, I can't wait to see the video when you maiden it yourself! :)

kilroy07

Legendary member

- emax Mt1806-2280kv
- 6040 prop
- BL heli 12A ESC
- 2s 650mA 70c
- 2x 9g servos

Awe... with an awesome paint job like that it belongs on the fridge!! :LOL:

The only thing I noticed is your undercarriage (landing gear) is a bit narrow. So if you try to ground launch it might get squirrely on you.
And there is NOTHING wrong with seeking out advice. Either locally or here in the forums! (I just wish the old balsa codgers at my field were a bit more receptive).

Keep us posted on the maiden and get video if you can.

andstore

Your daughter did a wonderful job decorating it! One the best Mini Scout Paint jobs I've seen yet! If you've the opportunity it's actually recommended for new flyers to let an experienced pilot maiden their planes. That way they can sort out any issues and get it trimmed out properly.

Good luck, happy flying and I agree with @mayan, I can't wait to see the video when you maiden it yourself! :)

Thanks heaps @Grifflyer, @mayan, @buzzbomb & @kilroy07! Really appreciate the encouragements!

Today was the day 🙌🏼
It’s spring in Adelaide, Australia, and the kids were itching for a run around!
It went pretty well and my best continuous flight was over 5min.

I didn’t end up getting a chance to get someone else to maiden and trim it. It took me three tries to realise tha my elevator was reversed, duh!.....but after switching that I started to have some wins.

I think I would have had more success with less wind, but had great fun.
Now for lots more practise and maybe a FT Tiny Trainer after this FT Mini Scout dies.

Little vid of some failed and successful launches:

Anyone know a little gyro that would go in these little plans? so I can switch between full manual and stabilised mode?

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks heaps @Grifflyer, @mayan, @buzzbomb & @kilroy07! Really appreciate the encouragements!

Today was the day 🙌🏼

I didn’t end up getting a chance to get someone else to maiden and trim it. It took me three tries to realise tha my elevator was reversed, duh!.....but after switching that I started to have some wins.

Now for lots more practise and maybe a FT Tiny Trainer after this FT Mini Scout dies.

Anyone know a little gyro that would go in these little plans? so I can switch between full manual and stabilised mode?
Loved it! Thank you so much for such a beautiful video. Also what a beautiful flying site. Where in the world are you located? I espically like the fact that you kept trying and happy about your last flight the 8th one :). This bird doesn't like much wind maybe that's what was giving you trouble.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

Today was the day 🙌🏼

Nice flying! Regardless of how it tests, your plane is tail heavy, though. Try taping a quarter to the nose and see how it does. I think you'll have a lot more success. ;)

andstore

Nice flying! Regardless of how it tests, your plane is tail heavy, though. Try taping a quarter to the nose and see how it does. I think you'll have a lot more success. ;)
Makes sense, from the way it just sits back and floats around rather than leaning forward and getting moving.
What’s a “quarter”? :p I’ll try a “twenty cent piece” haha. 🇦🇺

@mayan: Adelaide is beautiful. https://goo.gl/maps/JFJJU2EqWjZbyKKS7
Found a spot 5 mins from my house. :)

Last edited: