FT Mini Sportster

Brianna81

Took what seemed like forever, but, after about 8 1/2 hours, it's done :). Haven't maidened it yet, but, it seems to be ready. Balances pretty much perfect with a 500 mAh 2 cell, and when I add my 1000 mAh 2 and 3 cell, it balances just a little nose heavy which is even better. Getting my aileron push rods measured wasn't much fun, but, I think I got it. Had to put some fun bends in them, but, it works lol. Anyway, hadn't posted anything in awhile, so, here's my newest :)

One question I do have on this. One of my servos seems to constantly hum when not moving. It doesn't seem to jitter any of the control surfaces, and all the surfaces move fine. I noticed this when I was putting the electronics together before I built it. I think it might be the receiver. I tried different servos, one at a time, and found that it seemed to be channel 2 on my Turnigy IA6, since it did the same thing with different servos. I'm guessing this means the servo on that channel is going to eventually go out? Or is this a common thing that can just happen and I'm not aware of it? I still kinda want to maiden it this way since I've already got it together and it works, just to see if I can fly it at all. I mean, if I crash it anyway, it won't matter too much lol. Just curious what y'all thought about it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190727_142339.jpg
    IMG_20190727_142339.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My ft scout has a servo that does that. I know it’s the servo because it’s the only one that does it no matter where it’s plugged in. My receiver failed me mid flight and I ended up with a nose dive - twice. It looked kinda like yours except the wing was attached and the nose was completely shot... Have fun!

epsilon

Nope, couldn't get my tiny trainer to stay in the air either. Both flew for about 20 feet and crashed before I could get control.
Been there too. My first forays were basically identical to that. Ultimately it was because the antenna had popped off the pcb board in my transmitter so 20ft of range was about all I got. Do a range test next time just to rule out any quirkiness like that. Doubtful that's your issue but hey, never know...

I ummm... cough... (whispers quietly) happen to know there's a lil sumthin sumthin on the flitetest drawing boards which should be launching in about another month or so. So keep your eyes open.

Where are you from?

Brianna81

I think I need to start with something that flies already, and turn it into RC. My next project will probably be converting one of those foam gliders into a 3ch plane lol.

I don't believe it was the receiver as it wasn't suddenly losing control, it was crashing to the ground after launching and I couldn't recover it quick enough to get it to actually fly. Couldn't get my hand to the transmitter fast enough after launching.

I'm in Oklahoma City though. There is a flight club here, but, I want to at least be able to make something other than my f949 fly first lol

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Nope, couldn't get my tiny trainer to stay in the air either. Both flew for about 20 feet and crashed before I could get control.
Maybe try the full size speedster - it was the first plane I was able to fly. If you can get someone to help you, do it! It helped me for sure! Keep it up, I know you can do it!

daxian

Elite member
hi Brianna...
mini sportster is not a good place to start ,go back to the tiny trainer and get that flying first ,with the 3 channel wing ,it is more forgiving than the 4 channel ...i never ever got the mini sportster to fly and gave up on it after 3 rebuilds... went back to the TT and eventually got that to fly decently ,by adding a little spacer to lift the leading edge of the wing (lolly stick)it would glide great and gave me time to get control ....its worth a try !

Brianna81

hi Brianna...
mini sportster is not a good place to start ,go back to the tiny trainer and get that flying first ,with the 3 channel wing ,it is more forgiving than the 4 channel ...i never ever got the mini sportster to fly and gave up on it after 3 rebuilds... went back to the TT and eventually got that to fly decently ,by adding a little spacer to lift the leading edge of the wing (lolly stick)it would glide great and gave me time to get control ....its worth a try !

Yeah, I'm going to take the parts from the Sportster and throw them into a foam glider conversion I think. Since a foam glider already flies, anything to give it a boost should be fine, even if it's a bit slow. I'm not looking to do aerobatics right now, just get practice on keeping something in the air lol. Will start with a 3 channel, then if it goes well, I'll convert to a 4 channel.