FT Mustang - Build Log

defhermit

Yes. And it's not accurate unless you're flying level. I stopped using my gps for speed measuring in favor of a radar gun. It was too finicky to get good readings.

What about that device that Josh and David used for that one speed challenge video? Like a little tube device on the plane that actually measured the air speed?

Is that better or worse than using a radar gun?

Revere

Thats a pitot tube, nice to have but not entirely useful to gauge "true" speed as airspeed and groundspeed are different and neither will give you a true speed for aircraft.

Airspeed = speed of aircraft relative to the surrounding air, can be different due to windspeed and/or air pressure so is not indicative of "true" speed.
Ground speed = horizontal speed of aircraft relative to the ground, is not indicative of "true" speed because it does not take into account any vertical movement.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Radar is your best bet if you have someone to hold it for you. Pitot tube is your best bet if you don't have someone to hold a radar gun for you :)

heatvent

Hi there. The wing at its exact center is wider than a few inches toward the wing tip, where it contacts the fuselage. The wing cutout fits the wing dimensions of an installed wing so the more narrow area you've noted will match up with not the center of the wing, but the part of the wing that contacts the fuselage side wall.

Agreed that it tapers but 15mm in what appears to be 25-30mm from the edge of the wing to the edge of the fuselage seems to be a bit much to me. I ended up extending the top parallel part of the hole for the wing about 10mm and it fit correctly. Without that adjustment it was squeezing through the opening because of the extra width of the wing at that height which also changed the angle of the back slope of the wing which was not matching up either. All is nicely secured and looks good at this point (I played with the plans several times and cut a test opening out of a spare piece of foam until I got the right fit).

Maybe it's the foam board I am using, maybe its something I didn't do quite correctly. I just thought I would see if others saw the same thing to check if it was possibly an issue with the downloadable plans.

Thanks

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
One thought would be that because FT uses a laser cutter to cut their kits there is a small amount of foam that melts and causes the cuts to be 'wider.' The paper cut line is accurate based on the plans but the melted foam recedes up into the cut. This would allow the wing to fit properly when cut be the laser, which is using the same plans offered to download.

nascarjonb

Nerdnic------do you replace the paper on the foam board and then fold it over the exposed foam? or do you put it over top???? I am building my second spitfire and I am looking for ways to make this plane more durable.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
To make it more durable you'll want to remove the paper, use some sort of adhesive, then add new paper. Polycrylic is great for this.

ProfessorFate

Polycrylic .... this one? Hi Nerdnic!

polycrylic1 re-glue paper to DTFB cc.jpg

Great thread, I like your Mustang improvements, power system ....

Hey Nerdnic:

Uhu Por glue ( it is foam safe too ), Amazon link here, been looking for that stuff.
CraftyDan said it makes the best glue hinge for your foam models if you have an hour to spare.
******* Is this the best stuff to stick magnets to your plane? *****

http://www.amazon.com/UHU-POR-Styrofoam-adhesive-tube/dp/B000LKOC1M

Bruce Simpson of XJets mentioned in his video about epoxy, about some stuff he seemed to be calling acrylite glue, you would use if nothing else would work, it stinks and sticks good. I have not found what we have to buy here that matches that description.

Wonder if.... Is this what uhu-por is?

About power, do you like the Turnigy motors better than the Suppo? I remember the Suppo 2814/6/1400kv for $23 100grams, you reviewed on Altitude Hobbies, Now this motor here you like for this is Turnigy NTM 35-48 1100kv, since they don't refer to stator size, this is kind of like a 28mm motor and 173grams too.

I am wanting now to move on to larger motors so it's not such a challenge with the weight and construction, so am looking at planning and buying some lower kv motors like 1000 or 900 and going to 4s sometime. 2 of the best larger motors I have now are Cobra 2820/10/1170kv 142g $43 innov8tive with APC 10x6 on 3s thrust for 351w is 57.4 oz

When I study these ( Cobra an Scorpion mostly familiar with now ), those with the lower kv always have much lower NoLoad Tests. Typ for smaller or mid size motors around 900 1400 the Io tests are some current at 10v. like my 2820 above is 1.6A at 10v, and those with less turns have much higher Io, and less efficient. The real low kv motors show test like .94A at 20volts for like 500kv 250gram motors or similar. So this made me consider motors around 600 to 900kv you cannot go too low in kv or you really have to swing big props or get more cells, I want to keep props between 10" to 12"

Noticed you are using more motor for your projects and I have been looking at the foam warbirds 1100 to 1450mm and thinking of power systems to build a foam warbird

What are your favorite motors Nerdnic?

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
View attachment 54822

Great thread, I like your Mustang improvements, power system ....

Hey Nerdnic:

Uhu Por glue ( it is foam safe too ), Amazon link here, been looking for that stuff.
CraftyDan said it makes the best glue hinge for your foam models if you have an hour to spare.
******* Is this the best stuff to stick magnets to your plane? *****

http://www.amazon.com/UHU-POR-Styrofoam-adhesive-tube/dp/B000LKOC1M

Bruce Simpson of XJets mentioned in his video about epoxy, about some stuff he seemed to be calling acrylite glue, you would use if nothing else would work, it stinks and sticks good. I have not found what we have to buy here that matches that description.

Wonder if.... Is this what uhu-por is?

About power, do you like the Turnigy motors better than the Suppo? I remember the Suppo 2814/6/1400kv for $23 100grams, you reviewed on Altitude Hobbies, Now this motor here you like for this is Turnigy NTM 35-48 1100kv, since they don't refer to stator size, this is kind of like a 28mm motor and 173grams too.

I am wanting now to move on to larger motors so it's not such a challenge with the weight and construction, so am looking at planning and buying some lower kv motors like 1000 or 900 and going to 4s sometime. 2 of the best larger motors I have now are Cobra 2820/10/1170kv 142g $43 innov8tive with APC 10x6 on 3s thrust for 351w is 57.4 oz

When I study these ( Cobra an Scorpion mostly familiar with now ), those with the lower kv always have much lower NoLoad Tests. Typ for smaller or mid size motors around 900 1400 the Io tests are some current at 10v. like my 2820 above is 1.6A at 10v, and those with less turns have much higher Io, and less efficient. The real low kv motors show test like .94A at 20volts for like 500kv 250gram motors or similar. So this made me consider motors around 600 to 900kv you cannot go too low in kv or you really have to swing big props or get more cells, I want to keep props between 10" to 12"

Noticed you are using more motor for your projects and I have been looking at the foam warbirds 1100 to 1450mm and thinking of power systems to build a foam warbird

What are your favorite motors Nerdnic?

Interesting about the uhu-por. I've not used that stuff before so I can't comment but it does look useful.

About power, do you like the Turnigy motors better than the Suppo?
Yes. Specifically the NTM motors. They, for the cost, perform very well. The bearings don't seem to hold up forever, though. l'm getting around 100 flights (pushing them hard each run) before the bearings are pretty shot. The suppo I reviewed is very nice but it's just a mild bump vs the NTM 35-48 1100kv. The suppo is similar to the NTM 35-36 1400kv.

The NTM 35-48 1100kv is a great 3 and 4s motor. I run it on both with a 10x10 and even on 3s it's very powerful. With 4s you'll run around 1000w and get close to 100mph. 1100kv works really well for me with the 10x10. I get very good thrust and throttle response but also very high top speed. It's really the best of both worlds from what I've found.

For cost and availability that's my goto motor, but it's not my favorite. The Tacon Big Foot 10 is. This motor is similar to the NTM and I also run it with a 10x10 but it's lighter, more powerful, and the bearings are better. It's about $10 more but hard to find in stock.

If you can find it available, get the Tacon. It will work great on a 1100-1450mm warbird. For reference skip to 2:56 to see it in action.

ProfessorFate

Wow, that nn P-39 is Beasty powerful, Nerdnic.

I have not done any DTFB planes yet, but I'm going to, the vid of your plane and ideas about Mustang mods are great.

The first proj was too heavy ... fiberglass Morane Saulnier

Decided to try something in wood that would build faster and very unique also like the FT Bushwacker... see here:

2674553.jpg

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...%96-TH-Crack-Turbo-Beaver&p=232554#post232554

Your ideas and builds are super, thank you

Leonard

ProfessorFate

Hi Nerdnic

I am mostly finished with this liteply pwr pod, comes to 19.3oz, been looking at your FT Mustang, your pwr systems and stuff are a little heavier, see paper listed all kind of specs, FT, Yours, NitroModels foam warbirds 57" and 43" WS trying to get a feel for how big I could make a Mustang, stock it's 40" and yours comes to 33.5oz

I'm also going to look over your other better mods on the nn P-39 and incorporate them too.

My pod is about 19.3oz including the 5oz motor with apc 10x6e, 7oz 2700mah batt, and 40A Esc and will give 57oz thrust easy, not pushing it, 11x5.5 would push it for 70oz thrust near current limit

Wondering how heavy yours came too and thinking about scaling the Mustang up to to 48 inches ( this Mustang will be dressed up a Hurricane) only waiting to make the cover after I figure how long the cover has to be to catch the back of the canopy on a 48" WS Hurricane.

LitePlyPod 19.3oz Nerdnics FTMustang Notes Nitromodels 2.jpg

I like your work!

Leonard

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hey Leonard,

Your pod alone is 19oz? Like, just the FW and pod, no electronics? That's pretty beefy, I don't see you damaging it anytime soon :)

At 33oz my mustang was feather light compared to a solid foam version, and with more power. However, I don't think you have to go bigger with yours. I've flown my 40" planes at over 50oz and they still fly fine. Landing start to get a little hot though, but if you're 40oz or under and have undercamber wingtips, you should be fine slowing down.

For flight times I'd say go with a 3000mah. A 2200 doesn't last long on 4s.

ProfessorFate

Hello Nic!

The pod + motor + 7oz 2700 3sbatt + 40ESC + apc 10x6e prop altogether weigh 19.27 oz

Does this sound really heavy, I think that makes the pod itself only about 3.25 oz

LitePlyPod 19.3oz all gear included bottom cooling 1.jpg LitePlyPod 19.3oz all gear includedmotor cooling hole 1.jpg

19.3oz for everything except the flat hatch cover with locking pin

I really took some time figuring just how much room I could take out of the FT Mustang and put into the Lite-Ply FT Warbird Pod, and I think I got it figured really good, see the neat cooling and space feature at the bottom of the pod for the ESC, 5/8" head room in there and the bottom of the pod sits on a simple piece of foam across the fuse, cooling hole under the firewall is 3/8"

On top there is a whole clean 1 11/16 inside space for the battery, radio and rudder/elevator servos at the back if you want, some headroom will be taken by rigid hatch bracing at the sides, I'll glue two 1/4" dowels front to back, catch the hood in front and stiffen the hatch too and put a locking pin that engages a stationary vertical bulkhead in the pod.

Leonard

*** Hi Nic
Figs for 48" Mustang up 119%
Stock 40"WS Area 278.7inch^2 WLoad 12oz/ft
Hurricane 48" sim Wing Area 368.6inch^2 23oz Pod + foam frame
You know how Josh and some designers for hobby craft make wing and stab size bigger for flight and control issues... make them fly better. I wonder how this Hurricane with a lifting foil would fly this size just by proportions of the 3view...real sim to the Mustang, and using this pod I just made 57oz thrust
Hard to fly if just by 3v proportions or most likely good? It's pretty similar to the Mustang
I considered the adjustment to make for an RC model to help how it flies would be to increase tail stab sizes about 15% more than stock, make more of the stab a control surface than what is stock too
To me I am thinking of this as an FT Mustang 119% upsized

might get to come in at AUW of 40oz. what do you think?

Last edited: