FT Mustang - Build

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
FTScratchBuild-Advanced

ft-mustang-1-jpg_1399510025.jpg

This scratch build is available as a speed build kit in our store, and the free plans are available below as well!

ft-mustang-2-jpg_1399510028.jpg

ft-mustang-3-jpg_1399510030.jpg

ft-mustang-4-jpg_1399510033.jpg

ft-mustang-5-jpg_1399510035.jpg

ft-mustang-6-jpg_1399510037.jpg

ft-mustang-7-jpg_1399510040.jpg

ft-mustang-8-jpg_1399510043.jpg

ft-mustang-10-jpg_1399510045.jpg

ft-mustang-11-jpg_1399510048.jpg

ft-mustang-12-jpg_1399510050.jpg

ft-mustang-13-jpg_1399510054.jpg

If you want to pick up a speed-build kit head on over to the web store! Otherwise, you can download the free plans at the link below.

FREE Build Plans:
FT Mustang [FULL]
FT Mustang [TILED]

Equipment used in this build:
FT Control Horns
NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
Hextronic 9 Gram Servo
TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller
Turnigy 1800mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack
Linkage Stopper "Speed Clevis"
.81mm piano wire (push rods)
Futaba T8FG Super 14ch Transmitter w/R6208SB 2.4GHz Receiver
Futaba R6106HFC 2.4GHz FASST Mid Range 6Ch Rx

Additional/Alternate components:
Flite Test Combo Flight Packs
with everything you need available at www.altitudehobbies.com

Thank you to the entire community for making projects like this possible.
Let us know how your build went or if you have any tips or comments.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yeayyyyy!!! Build Time!

oh . . . right . . . got to wait till I get home . . .

AlSmith

Just finished watching the video, I agree, best build video to date. Was getting ready to start the Spitfire , now I'm going to update the Spit plans to incorporate a lot of the Mustang ideas. Then build both.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yeayyyyy!!! Canopy's up!

Okie,

the vid said 2", but on my spit, a 2 1/4" fit a little closer. since both have a an outer fuse shell conforming to the pod I think either will do.

Corbarrad

I'm very excited about this one!

For those interested I condensed the plans down to 18 pages to save on paper.

FT Mustang part 1
FT Mustang part 2

I'm having trouble opening these files. Has anyone else tried them?

I'd be interested in the early version of the full-sized plans which supposedly had the grid on them. does anybody have those?

I know I'm sounding pretty impatient on this one, but these are my last few days of vacation until september. gotta go back to work on monday.

Last edited:

zjguy721

I'm having trouble finding a collet style prop adapter that is long enough for an APC prop and a spinner. How is everyone else mounting their spinners?

Yeayyyyy!!! Canopy's up!

Okie,

the vid said 2", but on my spit, a 2 1/4" fit a little closer. since both have a an outer fuse shell conforming to the pod I think either will do.

Justwingit

Build Pics!

Hey gang,

I'm "Wildcat John", the guy who went home with an official "pre-production" FT Mustang from SEFF :D!

First let me say that meeting the Flite Test gang down at SEFF was an awesome experience! These guys are the real deal...passionate about promoting the hobby and just genuinely good, solid people....thanks again go out to Josh B., Alex (who let me fly the Beta test version) and of course, David :)!

At Josh's request, I had to wait until the official release of the kit, plus, since I've never built anything like this, I had to wait until Josh posted the build video....:eek:

Here's some pictures of mine finished! Actually, I have some VERY MINOR touches I'm planning on, like putting an old leftover canopy from an ancient PZ Ferocious Frankie, and then figuring out what decals I want and where....:confused:

I'm running an Exceed RC Alpha 450/890kV motor (about 180 watts), paired up with a Turnigy Plush 30A ESC and a 9x6 PZ prop. I've got HXT-900's all around. Planning on running 3S/1300's in her, and it looks like I'm gonna hit CG pretty easily with this set-up. I also think she's gonna fly just fine with this set-up; right around 150 watts per pound by my calculations. Should perform very spritely and yet still come in around 20 ounces AUW or so.....

I've got light-weight Dubro's on the mains (made the wheel mount face outwards due to personal tastes...), and yes, I added a steerable tail-wheel ;)

I'll outline the other mods (very minor) and build pictures later on, but wanted to share these with you for now. I'm shocked at how easily this went together....as I told Josh and Alex, this is my first build EVER and I can officially say I'm hooked!

Thanks guys for a wonderful product.....can't wait for the maiden :cool:!
John
The "Wildcat guy"
.....who now has a P-51 lurking in the hangar...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSCF6720.JPG
    DSCF6720.JPG
    991.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF6721.JPG
    DSCF6721.JPG
    828 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF6722.JPG
    DSCF6722.JPG
    919.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF6723.JPG
    DSCF6723.JPG
    899.4 KB · Views: 26

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Just finished watching the video, I agree, best build video to date. Was getting ready to start the Spitfire , now I'm going to update the Spit plans to incorporate a lot of the Mustang ideas. Then build both.

Oh great, now I think I have to watch the entire episode for build tips / ideas for the two planes that I'm working on designing/building. ;)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The Flight of the Night Mustang!!!!!

Well, for good and bad and a weekend spent in building, the "FT Night Mustang" is finished!

Mild Mannered by day:

DSC00795.JPG

but ready to fly as the lights go down ;)

DSC00832.JPG

As for the build, print and cut templates, then transfer to 3 sheets of DTFB:

DSC00768.JPG

And after the first night, the fuse is assembled:

DSC00770.JPG

But . . . that's just plain . . . how about some lights (start planning early -- the turtle deck lighting needs to go in before the spaces to):

DSC00772.JPG

and added one last LED mounted in the scoop to get light under the trailing edge of the wing

DSC00773.JPG

mounted the wing LED's just before folding, being sure to skip the landing gear supports and tack the servo leads down and out of the way :

DSC00776.JPG

fold it up and it looks nice :)

DSC00780.JPG

Repeat (with a different color):

DSC00783.JPG

Install the wings . . . minor gripe -- there's NO WAY to get your hands in there to fish out the servo leads, let alone the light hookups!!!!! when you put one of these together and play the tape the servo lead in the hole trick, make SURE the tab is LONG and sticks out toward the front of the wing!

DSC00789.JPG

light it all up . . . looks nice :cool:

DSC00790.JPG

And the extra LED on the bottom lights the scoop up well :)

DSC00793.JPG

so out to the field to fly!!!!

DSC00797.JPG

wire her up for lights . . . and time for some night flying magic:

DSC00798.JPG

As for how she flies . . . as friendly as the spitfire, with a little more speed and maneuverability. a VERY nice plane to fly. using the same pod as my spitfire (900kv/200W motor throwing a 10x7 prop, drawing off a 3S 2200mah pack) she flew a touch higher on throttle, but flew happier because of it. felt a little sluggish at low speeds, but not dangerously so. overall, definitely an advanced build, but a FANTASTIC flyer!

. . . and on to the video :D

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yes, on both points.

and added an audio track . . . Flight of the Valkyries goes well with the Flight of the FT Night Mustang, I think . . .

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Or "night on bald mountain". Ride is probably more fitting due to its military associations from "Apocalypse Now"...Still one of the greatest scenes!

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ok, yeah, the 'nam choppers are far more appropriate . . . Francis Ford Coppola, I am not . . .

When it came down to it, it was the only not-horible track YouTube was suggesting, longer than the video (that was posted w/o editing, late at night -- Lazy me ;) ). One more reason to like FT all the more -- they may post late, but that last post-processing step is always done with professional polish . . .