FT Mustang Master Series

FT Mustang Master Series 1.0

AussieBison

Hi guys!

Just finished my first master series build (and first non mighty mini build), and I just went and maidened it. It flies fantastic and stable. I still have to paint it, but other than that I thought it turned out decent for my first master series build. AUW 850 grams with a cheap 2212 1000kv motor, 1047 prop, and 3s 2200 battery. The power system was bench tested to just about 1000g thrust, so it has more power than I would expect a B pack motor equivalent to do. My paint job should hopefully turn out like this, but we'll see. :D

View attachment 187288

It's been a while since you posted this, so may not be a bad time to ask how is the 2212 holding up? :)

2jujube7

It's been a while since you posted this, so may not be a bad time to ask how is the 2212 holding up? :)
Ummm... Glad you asked. I started to paint it a while ago, but I got halfway through before I stopped, and then I just forgot about it. :LOL: I think it's just that I'd rather fly planes than paint them. I'll (hopefully) get around to finishing the paint job sometime soon.

AussieBison

Ummm... Glad you asked. I started to paint it a while ago, but I got halfway through before I stopped, and then I just forgot about it. :LOL: I think it's just that I'd rather fly planes than paint them. I'll (hopefully) get around to finishing the paint job sometime soon.
hahaha din see this coming!
Keep us posted though, the paint job and the performance 😁 I think you did bench testing of that power setup but I wonder if the actual flight performance would vary - because flight time may be 8-10 minutes, as opposed to 30-60 seconds of bench testing 🤔

Last edited:

Marty72

Elite member
Finally got around to scratch building the MS Mustang, so I'll add it here. It's challenging to get the sections to cleanly meet up.

I should maiden next week, expect it to fly similar to the MS Spitfire. Running 3542 1250 motor, 11x5.5 prop 3s and/or 4s battery (same as Spit)
IMG_3234.JPG IMG_3238.JPG IMG_3240.JPG

Marty72

Elite member
The maiden was unique. Right after the hand launch, I was climbing up rapidly (plane untrimmed at this point) to get elevation, the prop and spinner came off ( a first for me). The plane stalled and fell into the corn field (saving it from major damage). The motor was a cheap Flash Hobby 3542 and the shaft/prop adaptor was a compression fit. I must have not tightened it enough to compress the adapter onto the shaft..

I repaired the plane and re-maidened it yesterday. It flies fine, but slower than the MS Spitfire with the exact same power system. I bumped up to 4s (3542/11x5.5) and that helped a lot, scale, but still slower than I'd like. I'll be working to find the best prop set up for my current power system. IMG_3246.JPG

barryray

Here's my Master Mustang. Had some problems with a twisted wing on maiden and only just got it down with minimal damage. Second flight had to max out aileron trim, so still not solved the twist, but then it flew really nicely - just like the Spitfire. Even has a fairly good glide for landings, which I have to make on pretty rough farmland. So, have cut the wing off and attempted to straighten. Also balanced wingtip to wingtip, had to add a NZ $1 coin to one wingtip. Just waiting for better weather to try it again. Volantex 1050kv on 3S 2200mAh and 40A esc and 10x6 folding prop. No problems with heat as this plane gets plenty of cooling air thru the nose and I opened up an exit hole at the bottom of the huge airscoop.

IMG_0306.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Love your servo protectors. That will keep them from tilling up your NZ fields on landing. Looks awesome!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Here's Shangri-La: Don Gentile's famous P-51B. Another fun historical story- if you're aren't familiar with how this plane fared, its worth a look. Moral of the story? Don't show off for the cameras.

In a related note, the B/C versions of the Master Series P-51 are terribly nose heavy, especially when compared to the D version. I wound up adding 2oz of lead to the tail and used a lighter 2200 4s battery towards the back of the battery box. If you are planning on building the B/C variants, be sure to check your CG.

My canopy was a little sketchy. I used a clear salad tub and cardstock to make a crude one, but it's clear enough to see the 3D printed pilot and instrument panel, so I'm happy with it. I also added some machine gun lights and speaker from Hobby King. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued since I bought them a while ago.

Attachments

• 20230523_153551.jpg
    20230523_153551.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230523_153543.jpg
    20230523_153543.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230523_153531.jpg
    20230523_153531.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230523_153520.jpg
    20230523_153520.jpg