FT Old Fogey (Swappable) - Scratch Build

Mchone Jake

Im trying to print the tiled plans as well.

Anyone have a direct download link to adobe X? I downloaded the trial version on adobe 10.1 (because im not paying $47 or what ever to buy the full version just to print these plans) and there is no options as in the listed directions for poster or tiled printing, but shouldnt there be another way??

If not can the guys start posting already tiled plans?

I have enough foam and an extra bluewonder and servos to make every swappable so far and I really want to get started!
Thanks!

Last edited:

MrClean

adobe reader is free http://get.adobe.com/reader/ I think I'm usimg the Firefox plugin version.

Mine is nekked white but ready to fly, though I'll need to put 1.5 sticks of mini glue on the tail for balance. Hopefully color will move the CG back a bit. I'd snap a picture of it hanging but its just plain white and my overly affectionate but razor equipped kitty is occupying my lap. Hopefully shell tire soon. I need a bath and some sleep.

Last edited:

MrClean

Hmmmmm, I checked my add ons but then I just clicked on the file and looked at the info of the reader that comes up. It's Adobe X reader. According to the links on Adobe's site the new versions follow the old versions in that the Reader is free. I'm downloading the new version now. Go to the link I posted, download the free reader. When the 'save file' section comes up unclick the install mcAffee scan button and save the file. When the download is complete, double click on the file and let it install.

When installing, choose to look for updates manually or it can sit there checking every couple minutes till you de-install and re-install the reader, unless it corrupts windows and you have to reload that first. I'm still installing, might have to post this, get out and get back in when it's finished.

Nope, everything worked out fine. I'd try to download and re-install the version from the link I gave ya. Reader is free, maybe you got the new cloud version and they want you to store your documents on their site.

Kitty got up. Here she sits hanging in my CG Sling

And here's the plumb bob pointing just aft of the break where the CG is supposed to be. Too bad I have to have weight on the tail for that.

Maybe it's the Suppo 2408 that I bought to go with the Blender and I should be using a lighter motor instead?

Mchone Jake

Well thanks for the info. It still didn't work on my computer so I ran over to my dads and loaded it onto his and it worked fine only he had no printer. But I did manage to scratch out the delta from the measurements given on the plans.

Ill have to install my printer on dads pc and get the rest of the fleet printed out!

MrClean

Sometimes NOTHING works as smooth as a fresh Windows install. Sorry yours has been so much fun. I could give you a Facebook page of my Brother in law who does security and Windows pc work. I don't know if he can fix stuff from a remote location BUT seems to me there is a remote browser function in there somewhere if yours is working.

Me, I don't usually name airplanes. Well other then My Flipper, My Flipper Deluxe, Shoestring stunter, what the plane is kinda names.

But I think I'll name my Old Fogey Bubbles

Many thanks to Rally2 and his Hello Kitty wrapping paper.

doron1604

_1_~1.JPG

Waiting for the electronics to arrive

Bolvon72

Mentor
This is my favorite build of the swappable series to date. Unfortunately its Friday and my new servos haven't arrived, I guess it's a 45 mile drive in the morning for me because this weekend will not pass without a maiden. This one speaks to the slow flying old fogey inside me that still likes to end the day throwing the Champ in the air. Thanks guys, for this build and teaching me to get past the RTF phase of this hobby.
Fogey.jpg fogey2.jpg

MrClean

Working on a slightly different fuse

Need landing gear and radio for my Old Lazy.

Last edited:

Bolvon72

Mentor
Overpaid a bit to get 'er in the air but maidened her today and couldn't be happier. A touch and go turned the too flimsy gear into a retractable, hence the cockeyed wheels, but I have now replaced it with a stronger one. (Should have known better). I do believe I will be messing with the plans for this one and doing some experimenting, but this particular Fogey is perfect the way she is.

Bolvon72

Mentor
They recommend the 24g 1300kv motor but, as mine has not arrived yet, I ran a 36g 1450kv Suppo without issue. Look at the Nutball swappable build and the specs they recommend for this pod are listed there.

Bolvon72

Mentor
dRCcaptain, keep in mind I am not the most knowledgeable person in any way, but the specs look similar to the one I used in it and it flew well and nothing got hot, I take that as a good sign. I do most of my learning from screwing up. All I can say is it worked for me but to be sure you could wait for an expert to throw in their two cents.

dieter

Had maiden of Friday did not fly well in 15K winds. It would rock side to side and rudder had hardly any authority. So I added 3.5 inches height to the stabilizer and rudder and it works well now. It seemed there was not enough air hitting the rudder with the high fuse of this plane. Using Blue Wonder 1500KV 8x4 prop 2s .500 lipo and a 3s 1350 lipo. Before.jpg After.jpg Flash makes it loo bad.

MrClean

Nice. I also had a bit of problem with the rocking. I hopefully am going to work on a new wing tonight with a tad less dihedral in it but it also goes on my new fuse thats a bit more LzB looking. This puts the vertical higher and has more of it as well. Hopefully I won't be too tail heavy but as I had to put the batteries back quite a ways for balance with the motor I'm using, I'm thinking things will work out if I move them forward. That being said when the breeze wasn't rocking through my field it would make nice lazy circles by itself. But its winter and I get these 5 mph to 15 mph gusts out of nowhere and just the 5 mph ones will send it into convulsions. I think most of that can be eliminated with less angle on the tips. As is I have 3 inches from flat to each tip. Gonna drop that down half and work up if need be. Calm weather it's pretty good. The old LzB had a full flying vertical. Man, what convulsions you can get into with that! I've just got a partial but I'm not afraid to cut!

Also realize, if you just bump control inputs into this thing you'll cause a lot of problems as well. Little inputs should be given and held and it will come around. Trimming for a circuit this weekend showed me that. But give a control to put it into a hard turn and let go? That thing will go all over the place EXCEPT where you want it too.

Last edited: