FT Old Fogey

lostcity

IMG_0253.png
Maiden flight of my FT Old Fogey this morning at the Thunderbirds RC Club field. Now it is ready for paint. I used a Blue Wonder and 2S battery pack along with a 9x3.8 prop. The Old Fogey behaved as many have noted by wallowing. The wallowing seems to happen with rudder corrections. In straight and level flight it tracks smoothly. With this power combination, I had to fly at almost full throttle. I did try a 10x4 prop and 3S battery and as Josh Bixler noted, the bigger prop gives it more power but it also seemed to be a bit more twitchy. Next round will try a 9x6 prop and see how that works. Thanks again to the Flite Test Team for great scratch build.

RoyBro

Mentor
Maybe try the 2s with a 9x4.7. That seems to be the best combination for the FT Flyer to start.
Also try the 3s with an 8x6 prop. That's the standard setup for the swappable power kit from LazerToyz.

Good luck and post some videos.

sconner

I have "The Beef" power pack for the Baby Blender. I wanted to build an Old Fogey for friends to fly but I'm not sure if it would be too much weight/power for the Fogey. Anybody out there used the larger swappable power pod on the lighter planes like the Old Fogey?

Here is what is in "The Beef"
Included in this Pack (1 power system- for Baby Blender swappable )
(1)1 Emax GT2215-9 1180KV 2.25 lbs thrust (includes prop adapter)
(2) 9X6 Emax props
(1) Lazertoyz 20 Amp ESC
(3) Emax Budget Servos
(1)1300 Mah Lipo 20C discharge and 5 C charge rate

sconner

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I have "The Beef" power pack for the Baby Blender. I wanted to build an Old Fogey for friends to fly but I'm not sure if it would be too much weight/power for the Fogey. Anybody out there used the larger swappable power pod on the lighter planes like the Old Fogey?

Here is what is in "The Beef"
Included in this Pack (1 power system- for Baby Blender swappable )
(1)1 Emax GT2215-9 1180KV 2.25 lbs thrust (includes prop adapter)
(2) 9X6 Emax props
(1) Lazertoyz 20 Amp ESC
(3) Emax Budget Servos
(1)1300 Mah Lipo 20C discharge and 5 C charge rate

sconner

Sconner,

The biggest thing you're gonna fight with that motor is balance. at 70 grams it's nearly 3 times heavier than the typical "Blue Wonder" 2730 motor. The 3S 1300mAh will be a bit on the heavy side as well, but you'll ilkely slide it back on the tail side of CG to counter balance.

All told, you're looking at adding ~75g over a typical setup with your power system -- heavy, but should be liveable. The prop may be faster than you care for, though. You might consider changing over to a 10x4.7 (or close) Prop. Compared to the blue wonders, you'll have gobs of power at WOT, but you won't pick up too much speed. If you're skiddish of the power, dropping to a 9x4.7 should still drag it through the air, but at a little higher throttle.

sconner

Thanks Craftydan! After I posted it, CG came to mind. I think that will be my biggest hurdle to get over. I have a Bixler2 and I spent a lot of time setting up the CG with battery/ESC placement. It really makes a difference having it balanced right I suppose. You can slow it almost down to nothing and still keep it horizontal. I'm not worried about too much power, I can always throttle back. But too much weight will be the problem. I'll give it a shot I suppose! Thanks again!

sconner