Admin
flitetest submitted a new resource:

FT P-38 Lightning - FT P-38 Lightning Free Build Plans

FT P-38 Lightning

Designed By: John Overstreet
Plans By: Dan Sponholz
View attachment 150151

Description:
The Flite Test FT P-38 Lightning Electric Airplane Kit is one of the most advanced Speed Build Kits you can build. The finished model offers a level of scale detail that has never been seen before on a Flite Test aircraft. Once in the air, the P-38 carries graceful lines, tracks true, and is a walk in the park for...

Read more about this resource...

rhauff

Just got the Speedbuild kit for Christmas! I'm working on an EPP Slowbipe clone right now, but hope to start on this in a few weeks. Thanks so much John & Sponz & and everybody at Flitetest for this awseome plane!

mach1 rc

Master member
Thanks so much @Splinter189 and @SP0NZ for this awesome design.
20191227_220827.jpg

rhauff

I finished constuction a couple weeks ago. Very impressed with the fit of all the pieces, especially considering all the curves and angles involved. John, your build video is great and covers all construction very well. I was worried that fitting the pieces together would be difficult or end up looking messy, but it was actually very enjoyable and turned out great. I built it over a week, doing 1-2 hours at a time, so foam had plenty of time to take a set and hold the curves. I also used an iron over the seams once it was all done. This is like magic with foam & hot melt to smooth the seams and make them almost disappear!

@Splinter189 and @SP0NZ just a couple notes on the kit.
1. The slit for the right aileron control horn was not cut or marked.
2. The rear wing marks for the booms were about 4mm too close to centerline. There were no front wing marks for the booms. Getting the booms on far enough and parallel was the trickiest part of the whole build. I used the construction mat to get it all lined up & square.

Now, just waiting a few months for it to warm up here in Minnesota so I can paint & fly!

Attachments

• IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

wilsonair

I finished constuction a couple weeks ago. Very impressed with the fit of all the pieces, especially considering all the curves and angles involved. John, your build video is great and covers all construction very well. I was worried that fitting the pieces together would be difficult or end up looking messy, but it was actually very enjoyable and turned out great. I built it over a week, doing 1-2 hours at a time, so foam had plenty of time to take a set and hold the curves. I also used an iron over the seams once it was all done. This is like magic with foam & hot melt to smooth the seams and make them almost disappear!

@Splinter189 and @SP0NZ just a couple notes on the kit.
1. The slit for the right aileron control horn was not cut or marked.
2. The rear wing marks for the booms were about 4mm too close to centerline. There were no front wing marks for the booms. Getting the booms on far enough and parallel was the trickiest part of the whole build. I used the construction mat to get it all lined up & square.

Now, just waiting a few months for it to warm up here in Minnesota so I can paint & fly!
Great looking P38, I have mine built and also waiting for better weather in Idaho.Here is a pic of my finished FT P38, also for Christmas.

Attachments

• 20200202_194926.jpg
    20200202_194926.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0