FT P-38 Lightning

FT P-38 Lightning 1.1

Marshall_S

I want to incorporate differential thrust on the P-38. Can anyone point me toward a good video or instructions on how to set this up on a Spektrum Dx8.
Thanks

Javiester

Elite member
Pleaseeeeee¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
mini master series
FT P-38 Lightning
like the Mini Master Series Spitfire 1.1
I can not build planes of more than 43 inches

jblock51

missing crop marks on the leading edge of the wing I purchased the speed build kit for the P38 and its been an awesome experience thus far. I would say an easier build than the corsair. my question is ;

Was it just me or did others have the missing crop marks on the leading edge of the wing. I paid special attention to any crop marks on this kit after the corsair build. The only reference I found in the video was johns reference to "about 5 1/2 inches from the fuselage". Could anyone who has built the P38 already verify/measure this with their build.
Was this an oversight in the speed build kit or plans ? Are their revised plans that show this critical dimension when installing the booms as that will affect motor thrust angle.

Thanks
Jim Block

jblock51

missing crop marks on the leading edge of the wing
I purchased the speed build kit for the P38 and its been an awesome build experience thus far. I would say an easier build than the corsair. my question is ;

Was it just me or did others have the missing crop marks on the leading edge of the wing ? I paid special attention to any crop marks on this kit after the corsair build which was my first flitetest build!. The only reference I found in the video was johns reference to "about 5 1/2 inches from the fuselage". Could anyone who has built the P38 already verify/measure this with their build.
Was this an oversight in the speed build kit or plans ? Are there revised plans that show this critical dimension when installing the booms as that will affect motor thrust angle.?

Finally any build where I can use Clear Gorilla tape in the build is way cool!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yes, that’s an issue that all of who have built the P-38 have come across. I thought the sbk had the marks right but I guess not - the free plans definitly don’t have any marks. And the measurements John gives are NOT right in the build video. You’ll have to install the tail first then align the booms so they are the same distance from the fuse and don’t have a thrust angle. I’m goi to tag @SP0NZ and @Splinter189 to see if they can give a better answer.

jblock51

Two more questions on this build. John refers to a power harness with Xt60 connectors and shows it at 2:24 in the build video I don't see that listed in the power pack c twin pack listed in the flite test store. I had spare escs matched from other eflite planes so did not order the power pack. I am also looking to source the CCW props which are not listed in the flite test site either

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks

w1lp33

Two more questions on this build. John refers to a power harness with Xt60 connectors and shows it at 2:24 in the build video I don't see that listed in the power pack c twin pack listed in the flite test store. I had spare escs matched from other eflite planes so did not order the power pack. I am also looking to source the CCW props which are not listed in the flite test site either

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks

I can say that the XT-60 wire harness does come in the Power Pack C Twin pack. Or can be purchased seperately here: https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-xt60-power-yharness-flt-2075/p797115

As for props, they have HQ slow flyer props in CW and CCW:
https://store.flitetest.com/hq-prop-slow-flyer-prop-pusher-10x4.5r-2-hq-p010110451/p694740
https://store.flitetest.com/hq-prop-slow-flyer-prop-10x4.5-2-hq-p010110450/p694739

Or this set that looks like it includes two of each CW and CCW:
https://store.flitetest.com/10x4.7-slow-flyer-set-4-apc10047sf-b4/p639250

jblock51

Well thats wonderful news. I searched for at least an hour this AM on flite test site and several others and could find them. parts are ordered This should help to contain my cabin fever. Spring is slow in coming here - snowed last night and melting as we speak

Thanks again

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
All, the plans for the Master Series P-38 have been updated to v1.1. The missing tail boom alignment marks on the wing panels have been added. Thanks @Splinter189 for providing me with the missing information.

jblock51

Yes the new plans show the missing tick marks on the leading edge. The magic measurement is 6.5 inches from the center edge where the left and right panel glue together. I was able to measure this even though the booms are mounted and the center fuselage is glued. I used a control wire mounted to a barbeque skewer cut to 6.5 inches.

the back trailing edge dimension at 7.5 inches is 4 mm off as noted previously. How do I know this - in order to mount the horizontal stabilizer you will need to widen out the booms towards the edge of the wings by 4 mm.

other than that the build has been amazing. Making foam bend far beyond what I thought possible. Alignment is much easier to measure then with the bent wing corsair.

Cobra1365

Any idea when these are going to be available to ship again? My flying partner pre-ordered. But hasn’t heard anything yet.