FT P-38 Lightning

FT P-38 Lightning 1.1

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Please tell the laser cutter that we appreciate the enthusiasm, but would like to request that they take the energy level down a scootch. Many of the kit pieces were cut too deeply (the superchargers & R & L markings on the booms, especially) on this batch. I'll try and hide them with some hinge tape and paint.

Attachments

• 20210305_132244.jpg
    20210305_132244.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 0

Mr NCT

Site Moderator

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I finished up the P 38 lightning today. A challenging build to try and keep clean. I am very curious as to how it flies, won't get to maiden until next week. Doesn't seem to be much interest in this plane anymore, but I'm posting anyway.

View attachment 208989 View attachment 208989 View attachment 208990 View attachment 208991 View attachment 208992
Beautiful work! The p-38 has got to be my favorite FT plane to date, it’s so stable and tracks so well. I’m eager to see what you think of it!

Marty72

Elite member
Beautiful work! The p-38 has got to be my favorite FT plane to date, it’s so stable and tracks so well. I’m eager to see what you think of it!
Thanks.
I look forward to see how it hand launches, the no torque roll to watch, that for should be a nice change.

I've outfitted this one with some extra power, two 3536 1200, props 10x5.5 apc (one ccw, one cw), 20 40 amp escs and a 4s 3000. Should flat out scoot.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Super chargers reversed. ha.
View attachment 209025

It looks great! You're going to love how it launches (no torque roll- it just tracks out straight from your hand) and how it looks in the sky. Wait till you fly it on a sunny day and your aluminum paint job reflects the light. There's lots of folks here with an interest in the P-38. I've built (and crashed!) two of them and can't wait to build a 3rd.

Marty72

Elite member
I didn't realize there was much interest in this plane, lots of interest for mustangs and spitfires. Definitely the most challenging master series I've done. I had to do 5 booms to get 2 booms that looked acceptable to me. The wrinkling of foam can be quite frustrating. I've learn from the doing other master series builds to fit check a lot of parts up before gluing anything. I have to do many sections a second time to get the fit to be what I want.