FT P-38 Lightning

FT P-38 Lightning 1.1

Marty72

Elite member
Your attention to detail shows- the booms look great! You're in for a treat when you get to fly it.

We had 6 straight days of rain, went out to the field today for maiden (soggy field). Wow, what an easy plane to hand launch, so little drama. It's a really stable and simple to fly plane. The easiest hand launch plane ever! I'd consider this a plane something a beginner could fly. I did a bunch of Cuban 8s with it, it tracks perfectly. It's not going to be a daily flier for me, but it's definitely a great show plane at the field. It flies really pretty without much effort. It looks very different from all the other planes in the air.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
We had 6 straight days of rain, went out to the field today for maiden (soggy field). Wow, what an easy plane to hand launch, so little drama. It's a really stable and simple to fly plane. The easiest hand launch plane ever! I'd consider this a plane something a beginner could fly. I did a bunch of Cuban 8s with it, it tracks perfectly. It's not going to be a daily flier for me, but it's definitely a great show plane at the field. It flies really pretty without much effort. It looks very different from all the other planes in the air.
It really is an easy and great plane, isn’t it? How was the power/speed?

Marty72

Elite member
It really is an easy and great plane, isn’t it? How was the power/speed?

The power was great, the speed was good. I ran two 10x5.5 w/ 3536 1000 on 4s (3000) and it. I'm use to flying very fast, so it was a tad slower than my other warbirds. If I could find a set of 10x7 (opposing direction props), I think I'd get the speed I'm use to. APC doesn't have a pitch higher than 5.5 in the 10 inch drone props. I should probably look else where. Not sure it's worth the change, but I do like to play around with that stuff. With motors this size, 10x7 is my go to prop. BTW, I'm the only one that thought it was a bit slow at the field.

boogieloo

I like it. Really. This is the pack c ESC twin engine edition. Comes with 2 propellers and bolts. screw driver. Comes in a small box. They use this for the P-38 model. Of which I didn't buy. Instead, I chose another model of my own. Looks like a Japanese fighter bomber in 1942 Pearl Harbor, Honolulu, Hawai'i.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I like it. Really. This is the pack c ESC twin engine edition. Comes with 2 propellers and bolts. screw driver. Comes in a small box. They use this for the P-38 model. Of which I didn't buy. Instead, I chose another model of my own. Looks like a Japanese fighter bomber in 1942 Pearl Harbor, Honolulu, Hawai'i.

Hmm... This post may be in the wrong space with wrong history.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Here's Marge #3. The first one died a horrible death after some low level inverted flying went badly. #2 crashed on takeoff when a propeller and spinner parted ways with the motor. I had to take some pictures of #3 while she still looks good.

For #3, I added some thin plywood reinforcement to the inside of the foam on the bottom of the cowling to support my heavy grip for launching, as well as a dowel rod on the leading edge. With the extra weight from the guns in the nose and big spinners, I had to add an ounce of weight to the tail to get it to balance correctly. And yes, I know the lights aren't scale, but they look cool.

Attachments

• 20211020_213626.jpg
    20211020_213626.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211020_213637.jpg
    20211020_213637.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211020_213652.jpg
    20211020_213652.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211020_213700.jpg
    20211020_213700.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Here's Marge #3. The first one died a horrible death after some low level inverted flying went badly. #2 crashed on takeoff when a propeller and spinner parted ways with the motor. I had to take some pictures of #3 while she still looks good.

For #3, I added some thin plywood reinforcement to the inside of the foam on the bottom of the cowling to support my heavy grip for launching, as well as a dowel rod on the leading edge. With the extra weight from the guns in the nose and big spinners, I had to add an ounce of weight to the tail to get it to balance correctly. And yes, I know the lights aren't scale, but they look cool.

She's a beauty!(y)(y)

Mr NCT

Site Moderator

The lights DO look cool. Great job!

boogieloo

Wow. Did it fly when you threw the airplane? p-38 looks like a Japanese war plane from Pearl Harbor 1942. This airplane would look good with retractable landing gears. And flying. Really some sight to see. I really like this design. But a lot harder to make. This is the pack c twin edition radial engines. And they sell it with the kit. Wow again. But harder to make. Retractable has to be planned but possible. Plyboard 1/8" from any hardware store. And then plan it. But wow and harder to make. Two thumbs up on this P-38 design.

Last edited:

Brian B

Elite member

Where did you get the sound kit to go with the machine guns? That's cool!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
It was a little plugin Dr. Mad Thrust speaker from Hobbyking. Unfortunately, I don't see them anywhere on their website anymore. Its too bad because they were much easier to use than the Mr RCSound cards. You may be able to find them through a third party vendor though.

Marty72

Elite member
Great P 38 build Crash! Very nice.

Yeah, practice the booms on the P 38, once you can do that without getting a bunch of wrinkles, you can shape anything. ha. I'd start there honestly, before you invest a bunch of time. IMO, the most difficult part of the build. If you can do that, nothing else is any more challenging than any other Master Series build.

It's a great flier, makes you look better than you are. The hand launches are just out of this word, zero drama. This plane does Cuban 8s absolutely perfect (as a result of no torque roll is my guess).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Great P 38 build Crash! Very nice.

Yeah, practice the booms on the P 38, once you can do that without getting a bunch of wrinkles, you can shape anything. ha. I'd start there honestly, before you invest a bunch of time. IMO, the most difficult part of the build. If you can do that, nothing else is any more challenging than any other Master Series build.

It's a great flier, makes you look better than you are. The hand launches are just out of this word, zero drama. This plane does Cuban 8s absolutely perfect (as a result of no torque roll is my guess).
I finally fixed my old one that crashed due to elevator failure. Even after being crashed once it still flies absolutely amazingly. I’m working on building another one and I’ve been going all out trying to make it perfect and I’ll give the old one to one of my friends.
FA55FE5C-686D-4D81-83A3-AEC3154E5D1A.jpeg

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I finally fixed my old one that crashed due to elevator failure. Even after being crashed once it still flies absolutely amazingly. I’m working on building another one and I’ve been going all out trying to make it perfect and I’ll give the old one to one of my friends.
View attachment 210480
I forgot about those 3d printed parts, another project once my printer gets set up(y)(y)