• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FT P-40 Flaperons / Differential Ailerons / Control Surface Throws

I have just finished building the FT P-40 and have some radio set up questions. I see the recommend throws are 12 degrees. Will this be enough for rolls and loops and whatnot?

More importantly, has anyone tried to use flaperons with this model? I want to try it but am curious if it has serious tip stall problems, and need a good angle for full flaperons. I am also wondering if differential ailerons are necessary and to what extent they should be applied.

Any general setup tips are welcome as well, Thanks!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
if your doing flaperons, you typically want full wing control surfaces, not just 'tip' surfaces. I believe it has to do with tip stalling issues.

I have just finished building the FT P-40 and have some radio set up questions. I see the recommend throws are 12 degrees. Will this be enough for rolls and loops and whatnot?

More importantly, has anyone tried to use flaperons with this model? I want to try it but am curious if it has serious tip stall problems, and need a good angle for full flaperons. I am also wondering if differential ailerons are necessary and to what extent they should be applied.

Any general setup tips are welcome as well, Thanks!
I would personally consider 12 degrees to be low rates. I usually aim for 30 ish degrees for normal planes, 45 or more for aerobatically-oriented planes, with around 25% expo. It's very much a personal preference thing, but I'd prefer to have too much control authority rather than not enough - If I'm just doing flying around the pattern, I'll rarely exceed 1/2 of the maximum stick movement either way in any control axis.

As for flaperons, I would not recommend them on the outboard ailerons without inboard flaps. They increase the effective angle of attack of the outboard wing sections (effectively forming "wash-in") and drastically exacerbate tip-stall tendencies. If you'd like to do some form of high-lift, you can always hinge the inboard trailing edge and turn them into standard flaps - I've done this on the FT Otter with success.

The purpose of differential ailerons is to reduce adverse yaw. Dialing in some differential will reduce cross-control roll coupling and make the plane fly a bit better, but will reduce the maximum roll rate slightly.