FT P-47 Thunderbolt

FT P-47 Thunderbolt 1.0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have not flown mine yet but i did have issues with the accessory hatch and had to do a lot of trimming there. I also did not like the arrangement for the control rods to the tail. I found on mine at least they could bind and cause too much strain on the servos which in testing caused a receiver brown out with only 2 servos. So I rerouted and opened up that area a bit and at least on the ground in testing everything seems to be working. ill be holding me breath for the maiden flight though still :)
Seems like there could be a couple common issues with the design. I think if I build this I will take these into account, it's good real field info (y)

@Zetoyoc @Stonewall @BATTLEAXE

Fourth try and finally my P-47 flies :)

I replaced the receiver with another one and put the receiver to another location. The elevator had too much strain on the servo. I cut the connection between the elevator and horizontal stabilizer. May I put too much clue there to make it resistent. And after that I taped the elevator to the horizontal stabilizer back again. That reduced the strain on the servo a lot.
Additional I added wooden sticks at the bottom of the elevator to keep both sides in sync.

Here the pictures of the modification:
IMG_20200112_142911.jpg

IMG_20200112_142844.jpg

Now my P-47 flies okay.
The plane does not need much power. While increasing the throttle the plane goes up. On 4s the plane needs not much thrust and power to fly.
Even with wind I was able to land the plane controlled.

Now I can start with to build the canopy and do the paint job :)

There is a great looking painted version of the P-47 on Youtube. I would love to have my one half that nice:
Flite Test Master Series P47 Mods and Ugrades.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@Zetoyoc @Stonewall @BATTLEAXE

Fourth try and finally my P-47 flies :)

I replaced the receiver with another one and put the receiver to another location. The elevator had too much strain on the servo. I cut the connection between the elevator and horizontal stabilizer. May I put too much clue there to make it resistent. And after that I taped the elevator to the horizontal stabilizer back again. That reduced the strain on the servo a lot.
Additional I added wooden sticks at the bottom of the elevator to keep both sides in sync.

Here the pictures of the modification:
View attachment 154558

View attachment 154559

Now my P-47 flies okay.
The plane does not need much power. While increasing the throttle the plane goes up. On 4s the plane needs not much thrust and power to fly.
Even with wind I was able to land the plane controlled.

Now I can start with to build the canopy and do the paint job :)

There is a great looking painted version of the P-47 on Youtube. I would love to have my one half that nice:
Flite Test Master Series P47 Mods and Ugrades.
He does have a nice plane, gonna check out his Corsair later. Great job on the flight and I can't wait to see what you do for paint

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Happy to hear it flies well and will earn it's cockpit and paint. I did mine the other way round and now it looks so good it owes me a good flight when I get around to it's maiden. :)

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Stonewall

@oliver.karst

If you don't care, can you post a few more pictures of your elevator/rudder, and how you modified it? I did about the same mod as you with the popsicle stick and wooden dowel, but I'm still having issues with the elevator and rudder not being equal on both sides and not responding well without using outrageous amounts of sub-trim. I'd just like to see what you did a little better in hopes I can follow your mods and hope that helps me out.

@oliver.karst

If you don't care, can you post a few more pictures of your elevator/rudder, and how you modified it? I did about the same mod as you with the popsicle stick and wooden dowel, but I'm still having issues with the elevator and rudder not being equal on both sides and not responding well without using outrageous amounts of sub-trim. I'd just like to see what you did a little better in hopes I can follow your mods and hope that helps me out.

@Stonewall
Sorry for the late reply. Here two more pictures.
I think two changes made it.
1. I cut through the elevator and horizontal stabilizer. First I cut through the left side (the bevel between horizontal stabilizer and elevator) and taped it and then the ofter side. I taped it with strong package tape. May be I used too much clue to reinforce the elevator bevel. The impact of too much clue was that it was difficult for the servo to move the elevator. And while the control horn is moving the elevator the other side doesn't move the same. Only using tape as connector instead of the paper (at top of the bevel) the elevator can now move easily.
2. added two wooden sticks to the elevator (bottom side). With the wooden sticks the move of the control horn is much better delegated to the other side of the elevator. This keeps the elevator sides better in sync.

Now my plane flies better and better. Instead of painting the plane I am flying it ;-)

Here are the pictures. Hope this helps:

IMG_20200119_140630.jpg

IMG_20200119_140637.jpg

Matt Spory

This is my build! Yes that's foam board. I covered it in .75 oz fiberglass cloth and resin. I am hesitant to fly it because of my lack of experience. I wouldn't want to crash it after all of that work. Final weight with the battery installed is just under 4.5 lbs. Yes the weight was doubled. I am going to have to upgrade the electronics to handle the weight. I may build another strictly out of foam to practice flying before I maiden my nice one. let me know what you think!!
20200419_191352.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
This is my build! Yes that's foam board. I covered it in .75 oz fiberglass cloth and resin. I am hesitant to fly it because of my lack of experience. I wouldn't want to crash it after all of that work. Final weight with the battery installed is just under 4.5 lbs. Yes the weight was doubled. I am going to have to upgrade the electronics to handle the weight. I may build another strictly out of foam to practice flying before I maiden my nice one. let me know what you think!! View attachment 167587
Stunning work my friend!!

This is my build! Yes that's foam board. I covered it in .75 oz fiberglass cloth and resin. I am hesitant to fly it because of my lack of experience. I wouldn't want to crash it after all of that work. Final weight with the battery installed is just under 4.5 lbs. Yes the weight was doubled. I am going to have to upgrade the electronics to handle the weight. I may build another strictly out of foam to practice flying before I maiden my nice one. let me know what you think!! View attachment 167587
This plane looks great!
I crashed my P-47 heavily :-(

The Fopster

Master member
Blimey. That is quite nice.