FT P40 - should I expect to break a prop with every landing?

Rasmubur000

This seems a bit ridiculous to have happen. Is there something I can do to fix it? I can't really use a prop saver though

nOtyRmOm

If you have one of the more flexible props they tend to break on harder landings. I have a groupner 8 inch prop dont know the specifications yet though. I've crashed into concrete head on 2-3 times and it still holds up.
I got it at Hobby Town USA

Rasmubur000

I've seen videos of people landing planes in a hover like they are 3d flying. Is this something the plane can do? And is it difficult?

Spacefarer

Use APC propellers. Even with hard belly landings and full on nose crashes, not a single one was broken. And this is a full year and a half after I started using them. Also, if your ESC has a brake function then use that to your advantage.

moret

I have also switched to APC props, Broke my first one this week, Took my eyes off the plane while inverted in a low level pass and it went up,, no wait that's down, Broke a lot of the HQ props on the "C" pack motors. I have landing gear on all my stuff, so maybe that helps. Also maybe I just crash less then I did.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Use APC propellers. Even with hard belly landings and full on nose crashes, not a single one was broken. And this is a full year and a half after I started using them. Also, if your ESC has a brake function then use that to your advantage.

I've broken a few APC pusher props on my Versa Wing, but it's been more the tip of the prop striking hard than anything else. HQ props, while cheap, just don't last. I've gone through too many of them with chipping along the edges of the blades, just from regular flying and not crashing. I gave up and went to the APCs, and I notice now that my flights are MUCH smoother, and it doesn't seem to take as much power to take off with them vs the same size/pitch prop in HQ Props.

Headbang

Master member
Yep, APC is the way to go. Not brittle. Only time I break apc props is if the motor is on at the time of ground contact.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I found early on that i broke fewer props belly landing than I did with gear on my rough, unprepared runways. As long as you cut power and don't come in too steep it'll be fine...

Here's a whole series of less than graceful landings with my sketchy old FT Cruiser... And no broken props...