FT Pietenpol Model A

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I designed a 3D printable Model A engine for the FT Mini Pietenpol. For anyone interested in printing one and adding a little more detail to your Piet, I have uploaded the files to Thingiverse.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2094424

FT Pietenpol Model A_sm.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hoping to print one this weekend. Thanks for posting.

Please post pictures here and/or the *Unofficial* FT Mini Pietenpol thread if you print a Model A and add it to your Pietenpol. I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with these and how they turn out. I'm looking forward to designing more accessories for FT foam planes!

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I'm guessing there are printing services for those who do not have a printer... any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

I received my print the other day. Wish I had thought to photograph it. It's pretty neat, but at nearly $40 delivered, you really need to WANT one. The actual print cost was only $12.50 or so; it was the $25.00 of setup and postage that cost. I'm not complaining, mind you, just letting you know what to expect.

I still think it's worth it, and I plan to detail the motor with paint and maybe even some wires. Maybe I will open up the exhaust pipe ends, too.

Mike

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I just took delivery of some "Metalic Gold" filament from Hobby King, which might be a good choice for the pipes and radiator to kind of simulate the look of new brass or copper. Too bad I'm 30 minutes in to a 13 hour print...! :)

TedroT

Question

The Thingiverse site shows the setup for this print as an Anet A8. Is that the printer you have? What's your opinion of it, if so? I'm wanting to buy a 3D printer and am leaning toward the Original Prusa i3, Mk2 but it's a lot more $ than the A8. Thanks.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The Thingiverse site shows the setup for this print as an Anet A8. Is that the printer you have? What's your opinion of it, if so? I'm wanting to buy a 3D printer and am leaning toward the Original Prusa i3, Mk2 but it's a lot more $ than the A8. Thanks.

If you can afford the original Prusa i3 Mk2 go for it. The Anet A8 is a clone of the Prusa. It is a lot cheaper in both cost and components. That said, I think it has been a great entry level printer. If I could afford a Prusa, I'd have one. If I had to wait until I could afford a Prusa, I would probably have waited a few more years before I got my first printer. If you get the Anet A8 you have to be ready to tinker with it and print some upgraded parts for it. I'm still tweaking mine.

TedroT

Thank you.

I can afford the Prusa (according to the wife...keeper of the books) but it kills me to wait 7 or 8 weeks for the kit version or another month or so even longer for the me expensive, completed/calibrated version. Sigh. The FT printer, Hyperion Forge 3D, is back in stock now and is $300 to $500 less than the Prusa. It is basically a Wanhao i3, v2 clone. Reviews of the Wanhao have been quite positive for the most part (see 3D Printer Nerd review from January, 2016). Decisions, decisions.
Thanks again for your input. Looking forward to more of your fine work.
Ted

97tj-neil

We own several 3D printers at work. The last one I bought for my development engineers was $30,000. The $179 Anet A8 is almost equal in print quality. It is slow, and takes a lot of TLC to make good prints, but it is an incredible value for a hobbyist.

TedroT

Prusa vs A8 vs Forge3D

I bit the bullet last night and ordered the Original Prusa i3 kit because everything I've seen about it has been positive. Just hate the long wait but, oh well. That's life, I guess.

Verris

I've got the Original Prusa i3 MK2. I originally purchased it from him as the 3mm kit version, he then released the 1.75mm version along with an upgrade kit for the 3mm version which I did, and just in December I bought the upgrade kit to the MK2. I really like the fact that I can keep upgrading it to the latest version.

It's definitely a great printer and i suggest it to anyone who asks.

TedroT

Update

If you can afford the original Prusa i3 Mk2 go for it. The Anet A8 is a clone of the Prusa. It is a lot cheaper in both cost and components. That said, I think it has been a great entry level printer. If I could afford a Prusa, I'd have one. If I had to wait until I could afford a Prusa, I would probably have waited a few more years before I got my first printer. If you get the Anet A8 you have to be ready to tinker with it and print some upgraded parts for it. I'm still tweaking mine.

Yay! After a frustrating couple of days, my Prusa i3, Mk2 kit is ordered and in line for shipping. When I placed the order a couple of days ago, using PayPal, my credit card was refused.(!) Seems the bank's security unit flagged it as a fraudulent attempt on our account and blocked the transaction. Gaaah! Anyway, after finally communicating with Prusa customer service via their chat function, the order was canceled and I reordered it, successfully this time. Yay again. And the very helpful man (Max) moved the new order up in the production schedule so I didn't lose my place in line. I'm already impressed with their customer service. Hope it continues this way. 😊

Verris

They have great customer service. When I bought the original kit, one of the first they sold probably a couple years ago now, the set screws were missing from my pulleys. They sent them overnight to Canada free of charge. Then when I finished everything and turned it on, the thermistor was dead causing the fan not to turn on and the extruder to get hotter and hotter. It melted my fan shroud and a bit of the fan. They sent me a new hotend assembly, fan and fan shroud no problems and it got there two days later.

The upgrade kits are great and the latest one by stock isnt entirely compatible with an upgraded 3mm version. I asked support and they had me make an order with a comment stating it was for a 3mm kit upgraded to a 1.75mm kit going to the MK2 and they included all extra parts including a new power supply and longer rods that I needed to get up to date.

TedroT

Hej, Verris.
Thanks for your input. I've heard and seen nothing but good stuff about Prusa's printers and their customer service. It's good to hear even more confirmation of it. I'm hoping that everything will be fine when the package finally arrives. I probably should have ordered the assembled and calibrated version for the extra $200.00 but wanted to save a few bucks and thought the build might be beneficial for understanding the whole print process.