FT Piper Cub Scratch Build

Jp2442

First build of the FT Simple cub from downloaded plans. Tell me what you think. For size reference I am 6'1". I originally was going to buy a speed build kit but they are still on back order as are the firewalls. Following a few simple steps like first getting two print outs and glue one set to poster board. Be patient when cutting out poster board stencils and foam parts. I used elmers white foam board for this build. Also used holographic vinyl roll from Wal-Mart to make the windshield stickers.
20200528_192556.jpg
20200528_192618.jpg
20200528_192805.jpg
20200528_192852.jpg

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Looks awesome! Just be aware that if you used elmers board it is likely heavier and may be difficult to balance out. Not sure what your flying skills are but you may consider going with something like the C-pack at a minimum.

Jp2442

Thanks all. I used holographic vinyl from Wal-Mart for the windows. Found it in the crafty section. The graphics were all masked with many strips of artists tape at a half inch wide...took a bit of time to mask off and eyeball the design for eveness...also used 2.5 inch wheels. I will be trying the B pack motor with the 35A ESC with the FT Aura 5 lite. Not sure if the 3s 1300Mah battery will be enough weight maybe have to go with a 3s 4300Mah battery. Only running 2 9gram servos.

OliverW

Legendary member
Thanks all. I used holographic vinyl from Wal-Mart for the windows. Found it in the crafty section. The graphics were all masked with many strips of artists tape at a half inch wide...took a bit of time to mask off and eyeball the design for eveness...also used 2.5 inch wheels. I will be trying the B pack motor with the 35A ESC with the FT Aura 5 lite. Not sure if the 3s 1300Mah battery will be enough weight maybe have to go with a 3s 4300Mah battery. Only running 2 9gram servos.
That planes an absolute beauty! Well done

"Corpse"

Legendary member
That is such a clean build! N
4300mah!?!?! If you do that your cub is gonna be really heavy and won't perform very well. Lighter planes are slower and peform better.
Nice job man!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That is such a clean build! N

4300mah!?!?! If you do that your cub is gonna be really heavy and won't perform very well. Lighter planes are slower and peform better.
Nice job man!
That does depend on what kind of flight performance you want too. I like my planes to be heavier for stability in windy conditions. Well placed weight does increase your stall speed but the gains in any kind of weather is substantial. The Cub has fairly light wing loading so it should be able to carry a 4300mah battery just fine, as long as the CG works out. Mind you a B Pack motor is a little light on the power side. This combo should make for real scale flight characteristics.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
That does depend on what kind of flight performance you want too. I like my planes to be heavier for stability in windy conditions. Well placed weight does increase your stall speed but the gains in any kind of weather is substantial. The Cub has fairly light wing loading so it should be able to carry a 4300mah battery just fine, as long as the CG works out. Mind you a B Pack motor is a little light on the power side. This combo should make for real scale flight characteristics.
And if someone wants an hour of flight time that's awesome. LOL I definitely prefer my planes on the lighter side. Especially for stol performance.

Jp2442

These are all great pointers on weight performance speed and flight characteristics. I am still a beginner and have much to learn. Living in windy Nebraska having the ability to handle gust here and there will be nice and when i am ready for more speed and power a c pack motor is going to be the next choice

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
These are all great pointers on weight performance speed and flight characteristics. I am still a beginner and have much to learn. Living in windy Nebraska having the ability to handle gust here and there will be nice and when i am ready for more speed and power a c pack motor is going to be the next choice
Have you watched the FT beginner series of vids yet. Lots of good info there too. I think there are half a dozen episodes. You should check it out

Jp2442

I have watched a few of the videos but not all and there are some i need to review so that i remember from repitition. I also have a club nearby that has been willing to help with set up trim and they also do onsite training for first timers at no charge.

Jp2442

I wish I could afford a computer trainer after the bit of money i have spent already just to get some stick time in before i maiden and also to learn water take off and landing as i also have plans for floats

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I have watched a few of the videos but not all and there are some i need to review so that i remember from repitition. I also have a club nearby that has been willing to help with set up trim and they also do onsite training for first timers at no charge.
These Flite Test vids range from 10 to 25 minutes, and are a great way to learn more about the hobby: Flite Test Beginner Series
Be sure to subscribe to Flite Test , Flite Test Tech (for build, and tech vids) and Flite Test Community Association.

Jp2442

I subbed a month or so ago to all their video channels. I especially love the enthusiasm all the guys have and i admire the build and flight skills. This is a hobby I have dreamed of since i was a child and back in the late 80s electrics really hadn't quite hit yet but now with all the advances everything RC is more possible even for those of us on a tight budget.

Last edited: