FT Quad Backpack?

BigOne0311

I hope this thread is in a an ok position, if not I'm sorry, didn't know where to put it. I searched around but really couldn't find anything on the FT backpack.
I'm new pilot(I use that term very loosely:p). And have been bashing my little Alpha 110 quad around while I have been building my versacopter. I'm trying to find something to consolidate most of my field gear together. I have a box for my charger, soldering iron and big stuff for home, just don't want to carry my big box around with me everywhere. I may be jumping the gun a bit, but when I fly my little 110 around I feel that I'm kind of unorganized. I'm looking into getting some kind of bag for all my crap. Has anyone had a good look at the the FT universal backpack that they sell in the store? I like the layout and the price. Looking at other models like the: Lowepro QuadGuard BP, Think Tank Session Backpack, and even camera packs like Mountainsmith Borealis. Would like to keep it under $100, but might increase it a bit if the bag is great. Sorry, but I hate the neon yellow/green of the hobbyking backpack. Thought about using just a plain backpack, just need to decide on TX and FPV google case, and I would like to keep my versacopter and even the alpha 110 inside the bag. I may be asking for too much.
Just curious what people are using to carry their gear around with. What are you using? Would you buy it again? What would you different? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just bought a back pack off Amazon. Its a min version of a military rucksack. its only 17 inches tall. I made a foam base for my radio and keep my goggles in the main compartment. The next full lenght zippered section I keep my batteries in empty sunflower seed containers. I can get two 1300 mah batteries in each and I have 6 in there for that and a 7th for my 3s 2200 mah battery for my goggles and dvr. The two outer sections which are smaller hold tools, spare props and zip ties in the larger one. The smaller one holds my dvr, the cables for it and the one for changing the camera settings along with my registration card and remote control for the dvr.

There are varying reviews on its quality for the zippers but they seem solid enough unless you are hamfisted and yank on them a lot. It was only 39 dollars so for my budget it was worth a try and so far I am very happy.

https://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Tactical-Combat-Rucksack-Backpack-Black/dp/B009ONLX6O/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1485411866&sr=1-1&keywords=Explorer+Tactical+72+Hours+Combat+Rucksack+17+Inch+Backpack

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I got the FT backpack this past Christmas. I have not made a thread about it, but so far it is a big upgrade over the regular backpack I used to use. Over the holidays I did some traveling and brought the pack with me. Inside I was able to fit three quads (a micro, mini, and folded TBS Discovery), gimbal, batteries, lipo bags, DIY goggles, lots of props, and other miscellaneous items. My laptop fit in the front pocket. My Taranis did not fit due to the TBS Discovery and because I have relatively large DIY goggles. The bag has rigid foam sides so even with all this stuff the pack does not sag and deform under weight. Zipped up it looks like a normal backpack and not overly bulky.

Right now I have the bag configured (using the supplies foam divider blocks) to fit my radio, batteries, charger, goggles, my micro quad, and miniquad with props on. I could easily fit more batteries and another miniquad with two bladed props/props off.

The padding on the back and straps is comfortable and there are straps at the waist and upper torso so you can secure the pack if you are in a bumpy environment. The mesh pockets on the sides permit you to bring water, snacks, an umbrella, etc to the field with you. I have not used the quad straps on the front, but one reviewer says they are a little awkward in placement. Personally so far I have no complaints and think the FT backpack is a great deal.

IMG_3966.JPG

BigOne0311

Thanks for your thoughts on it. Good to hear that your happy with it. Have been reading the reviews, wish the reviewer could upload a a pic. Thanks for showing yours off. I think the FT backpack is really what I was looking for, just couldn't nail it down. I would rather not walk around with any aircraft on my back. If I don't have to draw attention, I would rather not.
Do you like the back side opening?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Yea the back side opening is no problem. You just lay the bag down on the front, maybe move the shoulder straps of out the way a little, then unzip the back. Because you lay the pack down on its front the back won't get dirty and get on your clothes when you wear the pack again. Of course there is still the front zipper that opens to a more traditional backpack pocket that you access while the bag is upright. This looks like the front of most backpacks with smaller pockets to hold pens, paper, and other small gear.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
A year later and my FT backpack is still holding up! I have brought it on airplanes as a carry on, biked to a flying spot with it on, and have used it as a general grab and go pack for my quadcopters. It really makes traveling with my quads easier. At one point I had three different quads, along with my transmitter, batteries, and extra accessories in it. The padding continues to make walking around with a loaded pack more comfortable. I also appreciate that the pack is the same size as a regular school backpack. Other drone specific packs out there have more space and options, but they are noticeably bulkier than the FT pack. With the FT pack I can walk around and not feel like anyone will question what I'm carrying around.

Last edited:

Liam B

I like mine! It’s good for school too. I can for quads and three textbooks haha!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Give us an update on the kind of backpack you choose and why, please.

This is what I chose a few years ago. Not this name brand but one exactly like it. Most of the "Quad" backpacks are just repurposed camping back packs with the prices set to crackhead for a name on them. One or two adapted a top mounted section to better protect a TX and maybe goggles. Other then that the only difference in those and the camping ones is some vecro and a few separators to allow various configurations. They are also way to big and bulky

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088KCG2NG/?tag=lstir-20

LitterBug

Techno Nut
ReadymadeRC used to sell a Strix flight backpack that was so awesome I bought two. Pockets galore, strapping galore, velcro galore. So many pockets, I am not sure several years later that I ever found them all. One even contains a rain cover.