FT Racer - BUILD (FT Slinger)

StarLite

I tried it with fishing weights all the way forward on the nose, but I had to use such large amounts that it was totally impractical to tape it all on there, not to mention it looked very ugly. It wasn't even that much further forward as the lipo, and since with the extra lipo it balanced perfectly, I figured I could just make a y-cable and fly with 3S 4400 effectively.
But since I need to change the power system anyways, I can hopefully do with a lot less weight and not need and extra dummy lipo in there.

StarLite

I have modded the powerpod a bit. I have mounted the ESC under the pod all the way forward, so my battery can be moved up against the firewall. The receiver will move back a bit to behind the battery and I also swapped the small motor for the bigger one. CG is still not where it needs to be, but definitely a lot better. I will order some 12x6 props and mount a spinner. I think I will only need about 30-ish grams of lead on the nose to get it to balance correctly.

I got all my pieces cut out last night and test fitted them. unfortunately i'm still waiting for my servos so couldn't glue the wing together.

I laid all my bits out though to get a feel for the size and look of it. I think it will look great with the red vinyl on.

IMG_1874.JPG

Maybe a little insane on the motor choice?

Ive got my motor ordered for this plane. I think it's going to be VERY FAST!

I'll be running it off a 4s 4000. I have a few props to try out. What do you guys think / recommend?

image.jpg

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
It'll be a rocket! I've got the same motor except it's 900 kv. They're built really well and make lots of power. Make sure you order the accessory pack so you get a prop adapter.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Hmm the power train weighs 670g. I hope the plane can handle that

I would recommend care with that motor setup and your over all weight. That motor with a 10x10 prop will push 80-90mph. But the standard foam wing will not hold up to hard pull ups out of dives or high G turns. The wing will fold. With a aluminum or carbon spar added to the wing and hstab then your set to fly them speed and amount of power/weight with little to no issues. But it will land like a brick. Also note that with that prop setup on 4s it will pull around 900watts and 80 amps. Check with Nerdnic on the forms he has alot more time with that motor. And check into his nn chipmuck im pretty sure he has the video up still with that motor/power setup

Thanks Jayz. I have some spars that I'm gonna put in the wing. Also I'm gonna put some flaps in. There is a thread where someone has done it on here.

I have a much smaller 4s compact with 35c output that only weighs about 140/160 grams. Can't remember completely but it almost halved the power train weight.

I have also purchased a watt meter and I'm going to test a few different props. Find one suitable for the smaller 4s then run that first and get a feel for the plane. Then once I'm happy I'll try a setup with the big battery

Also on the motor info it said 620 watts so I wasn't planning to go over that

Last edited:

jayz 84

Thanks Jayz. I have some spars that I'm gonna put in the wing. Also I'm gonna put some flaps in. There is a thread where someone has done it on here.

I have a much smaller 4s compact with 35c output that only weighs about 140/160 grams. Can't remember completely but it almost halved the power train weight.

I have also purchased a watt meter and I'm going to test a few different props. Find one suitable for the smaller 4s then run that first and get a feel for the plane. Then once I'm happy I'll try a setup with the big battery

Also on the motor info it said 620 watts so I wasn't planning to go over that

Well all the NTM motor so far between nerdnic and i have tested. Well exceed the manufacturer spec safely so no worry about over doing it.

But thats a smart idea on getting a watt meter and starting off slow. Thats always the best route. And with that motor youll have more then enough power to full any of your needs.

Now if you want to close up the trailing edges of the wing and wing tips and add on some nice flaps. Check out nerdnic nnp-39. Thats the best thought out build ive seen and have been apart of. And you can gain some ideas from that build if you like

StarLite

I took my FT Racer to the field today after my 12x6 props arrived and she flew.. somewhat that is :p
The first flight ended in the grass after about 1 turn, the ailerons just didn't seem to respond very well.
After setting the endpoints to 135% I gave it a second attempt, this time trying to build up more speed before turning. This time she flew a bit better, but I had to keep the throttle at 100% all the time to keep her in the air. Landing wasn't smooth, as soon as I cut back the throttle to 50% to bleed of some speed, she nose-dived the last 2-3 feet into the ground.
Luckily the BBQ skewer that keeps the powerpod in place snapped both crashes, so she sustained no damage other then some lightly bent foam.

The main problem is that I just didn't get up enough speed to fly comfortably. Going from a 12x6 to a 10x8 prop might help s bit, but I'm afraid I'm going to need yet a bigger motor. Anyone had some advice on a good motor for 3S? Preferably one that could use my existing 12x6 props.

Last edited:

fedeleon.cba

Hey guys! I've just received my order from FT and couldn't wait to get my hands on the Racer.

I'm still working on the paint but this is what I got so far....

16bwkup.jpg

2mnqjie.jpg

Just a question: How does it behaves on landing? I've read that I need to enter pretty fast in order to avoid stalling with this plane.

Thanks!

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
One thumb up so far, ;)

For landings I do come in a little hot and low then bleed of the speed and just before it stalls cut throttle and all up on the elevator.

Last edited:

flyerdude

Hello Guys,
Been scrolling through this treat because I'm going to build the FT racer as well.
Up until now I've mainly build balsa and depron models.
Recently discovered a supplier for the foamboard near my place.
What I've noticed most is that the finish on most of your planes is shiny! Some of you use tape. Isn;t that rather heavy.
Has anyone tried shrinkfoil, like used with the basla models?

StarLite

Adding tape does indeed add quite some weight, but it also increases strength.
I made my FT Racer from 5,5mm depron and used ducttape to cover the wings (it was the only black tape I had) and although my racer is quite heavy (too heavy for my planned power setup) it has survived the first few crashes without any damage whatsoever. If I hadn't
added any tape, I would definitely have sustained some damage.
I haven't personally used foamboard, but from what I understand the paper on the foamboard acts a bit like the tape on depron models, it adds rigidity and allows for bends and creases.
I have seen people use shrinkfoil on foamboard and depron models, but you need to be careful when applying it, depron and foamboard melt really easily so applying heat to it must be done very carefully.

I am still looking for a new power train for my FT Racer. The 28-30S 900kv with a 12x6 on 3S just could BARELY get the plane to pick up enough speed to fly, but a gentle turn already made it wobbly because of the speedloss. I think I'm going to have to go for a higher KV motor and a smaller prop with more pitch. It's kinda hard to find the right motor, because most motor/prop combo's only mention static thrust as spec and while my current setup has enough thrust, it's speed it lacks.
Im currently looking at: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16234__NTM_Prop_Drive_Series_35_30A_1400kv_560w.html with a 9x6 prop (I have a ton of those lying around, so thats always handy)

Last edited:

jayz 84

Starlite the 35-30 will make a great little motor for the racer. It has a good range of prop sizes you can use between 3s&4s batterys. The 9x6 props you have will work great with plenty of power to get you around (thats if there apc or another type of speed prop).
But if you want the full potential of that motor on 3s then you can move up to as much as a 10x7 prop pulling just around the 50amp mark and almost 600watts with no heating issues.

For anyone waiting on a video of me crashing my racer. I have just taken delivery of a nanotech 4s 2200. the 4s 4000 was very heavy and i don't think it would have been ideal for the first flight on the racer. Also i was struggling to fit it in the plane without having to redesign it. I'm going to try and get the finishing touches done now and hopefully maiden it in the next few days depending on weather.

Getting the CG right with the smaller, lighter battery and enriched uranium motor might be tricky though so wish me luck

flyerdude

I've also build the FT-Racer in the Ripslinger version.
Have to say that the Flite test crew does a great job im designing these cheap quick to build airplanes.

My version comes with a Turnigy aerodrive DST-1200, 3S 2200mAh battery and a 9x8 prop.
Waiting for the weather to settle so I can make it's maiden flight.
Weight including battery: 770 gram.

Ripslinger-1-small.jpg

Ripslinger-2-small.jpg

Ripslinger-3-small.jpg

Ripslinger-4-small.jpg

Last edited:

A.Loiske

New member from far away, from Finland, says hello!

I´m going to build this racer, just printed the build plans. I have few questions, and since this isn´t my own language, searching from this forum is quite a challenge. So I ask everything here, if you don´t mind. :)

First of all, i have to buy the foam. So what kind of a foam is best, thickness? There´s some paper covering? I´m just now searching some Finnish webstores if I can find something, don´t have any clue of these materials..