FT Racer - BUILD (FT Slinger)

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

The Speed Build Kit is available in our web store!

FREE Build Plans:
FT RACER [ FULL SIZE ]
FT RACER [ TILED ]

Click HERE to see the POWER POD BUILD VIDEO

FT Racer - 1.jpg FT Racer - 2.jpg FT Racer - 6-1.jpg FT Racer - 6.jpg FT Racer - 5.jpg FT Racer - 8.jpg FT Racer - 9.jpg FT Racer - 7.jpg FT Racer - 3.jpg FT Racer - 4.jpg FT Racer - 16.jpg FT Racer - 11.jpg FT Racer - 12.jpg FT Racer - 13.jpg FT Racer - 10.jpg FT Racer - 15.jpg FT Racer - 19.jpg FT Racer - 17.jpg FT Racer - 18.jpg FT Racer - 14.jpg FT Racer - 20.jpg

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Very nice, I am now a Huge fan of the Spitfire, and I wanted a cheap pylon racer airframe for my club's foamy pylon racing events. Thank you guys so much for this airframe, keep them coming David!

Edit: I also modded the Spitfire to use cold formed Dollar tree foam board instead of poster board. It added so much strength, and looked way better in the end.

Last edited:

amtpdb1

Great build. What motor / prop / esc are you using on this build. There was a mention of 800 watts?
Thanks for the great design and plans.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Very nice, I am now a Huge fan of the Spitfire, and I wanted a cheap pylon racer airframe for my club's foamy pylon racing events. Thank you guys so much for this airframe, keep them coming David!

Edit: I also modded the Spitfire to use cold formed Dollar tree foam board instead of poster board. It added so much strength, and looked way better in the end.

Foam Addict,
You can't leave us hanging like that. You have to post a picture so we can see what it looks like!

DDSFlyer

Love the build video. Actually like that Josh and David were building together. The flow of the steps and build was great, the even had some time to put in some jokes! Great format for build videos!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Great job guys! Likeing the buddy-build format -- works really well. Hardly notice the hour has gone by.

Question: Noticed your new recommendation to slit the paper when creasing the foam on the armin wing. Is this just for the longer spit. wings, or are you recommending it for all of your armin folded wings? (bloody wonder, baby blender . . . )

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Here is the mod on my current spit. the paint ruined the paper so it looks really ugly now, I will do a build thread this weekend though, I want another spit!

photo(2).JPG photo(3).JPG
Basically, I just reduced the former size by the thickness of the foam, peeled the paper off the bottom of the foam, and formed the foam to the formers with the edge of a table and trimmed it to fit

Jaxx

Here is the mod on my current spit. the paint ruined the paper so it looks really ugly now, I will do a build thread this weekend though, I want another spit!

View attachment 13059 View attachment 13060
Basically, I just reduced the former size by the thickness of the foam, peeled the paper off the bottom of the foam, and formed the foam to the formers with the edge of a table and trimmed it to fit

Nice! I'm going to have to try this. I love the Spitfire!. It flies like a dream.

AndrewPoll

Hi Jackedman, I'm no expert but i wouldn't suggest that motor, its quite a high KV and is meant to be used with a smaller prop. I actually have that motor and i run it with 5x5 and 6x4 props on an airboat i made. You want a lower KV motor for these planes between 1000kv and 1500kv would be about right. I have actually just built this plane and i have this motor with a 8X4 prop. I haven't flown it yet but its the same motor i use on my spitfire.

AndrewPoll

Here are some pics of my build. I made a quite a few changes to the design though. First i narrowed the fuselage, since its only wider for aesthetic reasons i thoughts i would keep it narrow and streamlined. I also got rid of the under cambered wingtip sections. Lastly i moved the servos so that they completely internal, and are mounted just behind the tallest former. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but ill let you guys know how it goes.
IMG_3683.JPG IMG_3685.JPG IMG_3686.JPG

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Nice! I am curious as to how the loss of the undercamber will affect it's flying feel. Did you also build one per plans to compare?

AndrewPoll

Nice! I am curious as to how the loss of the undercamber will affect it's flying feel. Did you also build one per plans to compare?
I only made this one. I'm interested as well, as long is it has a gentle stall then I'm happy. I have programmed some flaperons so that should help to get some slower landings. One other thing i did which i didn't take any pics of as put in some extra ribs internally on the rear side of the wing spar to get more surface area when glueing wing. I found that there was very little surface area at the glue wasn't holding very well. Hopefully ill be able to get it out tomorrow and see how it flies.

jackedman

Hi Jackedman, I'm no expert but i wouldn't suggest that motor, its quite a high KV and is meant to be used with a smaller prop. I actually have that motor and i run it with 5x5 and 6x4 props on an airboat i made. You want a lower KV motor for these planes between 1000kv and 1500kv would be about right. I have actually just built this plane and i have this motor with a 8X4 prop. I haven't flown it yet but its the same motor i use on my spitfire.

after some thinking i found another motor i have in my whats left of stock its a super tiger .10 motor it works like a dream. that other motor im going to us it in my versa with a 6x4 prop on it maybe ill meter test it for sure. Once my versa is done and flying im building this next for sure

Jaxx

Here are some pics of my build. I made a quite a few changes to the design though. First i narrowed the fuselage, since its only wider for aesthetic reasons i thoughts i would keep it narrow and streamlined. I also got rid of the under cambered wingtip sections. Lastly i moved the servos so that they completely internal, and are mounted just behind the tallest former. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but ill let you guys know how it goes.

AndrewPoll,

Looks great! Did you use the Spitfire fuselage for this build, or did you redesign the Racer fuselage?

Last edited:

Formori

Beginner Crasher
I've thought about building a swappable for a while now, but this is the first one that I absolutely had to build.

I made a few changes during the build process (like glue-hinges all around) and I contemplated making a removable wing, but I like the design as it is. Haven't gotten to fly it yet, but hopefully tomorrow! (if the weather cooperates)

DSC_0006 EDIT.JPG
I decided to use simple red and yellow vinyl electrical tape (the cheapo stuff) to add some color to the plane, and the canopy is a pop-bottle piece that I cut out to fit where the speed canopy would go.

DSC_0009 EDIT.JPG

DSC_0014 EDIT.JPG
Here's my bubble-canopy made from a 2L pop bottle, the "top, shoulder" of the bottle provides the round bubble effect, and I really like how it looks, it's also really strong in comparison to the poster board.

DSC_0017 EDIT.JPG
I used a lot of extreme packing tape to reinforce edges (because I'm new to flying and I know I'll crash) and also put a layer of regular tape along the whole bottom to help with sliding on grass and stop the paper ripping if it crashes on a rough surface.

DSC_0019 EDIT.JPG
And since I didn't have any servo horns around I had to make a couple out of some scrap 1mm acrylic I had lying around, they actually seem to function really nicely, but I'll have to see how they hold up over repeated abuse.