FT Racer Narrow Fuse/Speed wing

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So i applied it to a couple test pieces, prepped one sanded and one not sanded. Let it dry overnight and sand it smooth this morning.I just wanna see how well it adheres and how flexible it is. I know it works really well on the pink Styrofoam you use but FB might be a different story.

It did adhere really well to both sanded and un-sanded pieces, didn't deform or wrinkle the paper, and sanded out really easy. definitely gonna use it on the P-40. Gonna see how it holds up to flight time and handling now.

Sero

Elite member
@Sero - you know how easily the paper comes off on DTFB - the Minwax does not unsettle the paper when it soaks in?

No if you use the oil based polyurethane it won't pull it off like water affects it. I believe the water based poly will cause that to happen but I have not experience with it. There is a FT episode where peter uses the water based poly to water proof a plane, but he uses a completely different technique that seems far more time consuming.
Keep in mind that hot glue doesn't stick to the treated paper nearly as well as untreated, that's the reason apply it after building. I tried gluing some treated FB together and it came apart easier than non treated. I have read that if you let it cure a good amount time it adheres well, so I waited 48 hrs before I did my test, but perhaps I needed to wait longer.

Sero

Elite member
So i applied it to a couple test pieces, prepped one sanded and one not sanded. Let it dry overnight and sand it smooth this morning.I just wanna see how well it adheres and how flexible it is. I know it works really well on the pink Styrofoam you use but FB might be a different story.

It did adhere really well to both sanded and un-sanded pieces, didn't deform or wrinkle the paper, and sanded out really easy. definitely gonna use it on the P-40. Gonna see how it holds up to flight time and handling now.

Yes I'm curious about this, please update with what you find.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I sanded like usual and it sticks well to the paper, not surprized there. But i stress tested it by bending it again and it did let go some, but it did take a bend that did wrinkle and crease the FB again to do so. So as far as imperfections go, works awesome. As far as durability goes, its not a force field around your plane but it works just as well as original FB and will make an excellent filler and should last given the stress the airframe goes under during normal flight.

I know i will be using this on the build. It isnt cheap to buy, that can i got i paid $17 for it. But it does go a long way.

Sero

Elite member
Well the maiden may not be for a while, nothing but rain for the next week! After that it looks like nothing but sun but I don't typically trust forecasts that far in advance.

Currently I've put a Master Airscrew 7x6 prop on the plane, I just ordered a 7x8 APC plus some apparel from Flite Test. 7X7 APCs are harder to come by so it seems, which, I know is a safer bet for this plane, but I do know some say 7X8 is still good.
I have these two cheap 8X7 props from Hobby king that are horribly out of balance so I figured I would cut one down to 7" I made a jig to cut it on and then used that same jig to fine tune it. Balanced it up afterwards with very little effort. We'll see what happens.

IMG_20190912_155541.jpg

PoorManRC

Master member
I'm getting in VERY late here!! 😲
Gotta tell you, I'm so impressed with this! I've always wanted to do the Racer - but going in the OTHER direction. I'm Older and slower, and wanted to try to make the Racer SLOWER!! 😮😖 Yeah, I already know - but I love the way she looks.

A couple of more degrees Dihedral, taller Upper Wing Arc, LARGER Tail Feathers...
Well, it's my eventual plan. 😜

SO MANY great ideas here. I'm already using the Nerdnic double Tail Feathers on anything that's not a Mini from now on. I still want Undercambered Wings, because that's just how I fly lol.

That HATCH! That's so elegant!! Something I'm definitely going to "borrow". 😉

David the Swede did such an incredible job on this...
YOU brought it up to another level. Bravo!! 😎👋👋👋👋👋👋

Sorry about V1.... But looking forward to seeing the Maiden of V2!!

Sero

Elite member
I'm getting in VERY late here!! 😲
Gotta tell you, I'm so impressed with this! I've always wanted to do the Racer - but going in the OTHER direction. I'm Older and slower, and wanted to try to make the Racer SLOWER!! 😮😖 Yeah, I already know - but I love the way she looks.

A couple of more degrees Dihedral, taller Upper Wing Arc, LARGER Tail Feathers...
Well, it's my eventual plan. 😜

SO MANY great ideas here. I'm already using the Nerdnic double Tail Feathers on anything that's not a Mini from now on. I still want Undercambered Wings, because that's just how I fly lol.

That HATCH! That's so elegant!! Something I'm definitely going to "borrow". 😉

David the Swede did such an incredible job on this...
YOU brought it up to another level. Bravo!! 😎👋👋👋👋👋👋

Sorry about V1.... But looking forward to seeing the Maiden of V2!!

Thanks for the compliments! And I'm glad this inspires!

The stock Racer is such a nice flying plane. If you want it slow I would say keep it as light as possible, maybe add an extra inch of undercambered length on each wing. I'd move the tail servos forward and put in a light motor/ESC combo. I dont think I would increase the dihedral as that does contribute to the dutch roll that it has and the stock plane is very stable and tracks straight. It just doesn't have a slow minimum speed.

Sero

Elite member
So for comparison::D:unsure:

Durafly® ™ EFXtra Racer

100mph+ performance right out of the box (on 4S set-up).
Specs:
Wingspan: 975mm (38.4”)
Length: 760mm (29.9”)
Flying Weight: ~ 920g (32.45oz)
Wing Loading: 61g/dm.dm
ESC: 60A Aerostar
Motor: 3536-1780kv Brushless
Battery: 1800~2400mAh 4S 65C or 2200~2600mAh 3S 65C (not supplied)
Prop: 7x6.5 for 4S or 8x6 for 3S (supplied)
Controls: 4 Channel (Throttle, Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder)
Spinner: Custom made aluminum
FPV Racing Canopy: Included
Slope nose cone: Included

E-Flite V900

Right out of the box it can reach top speeds of 120+ MPH on 4S, and even 100+ MPH on 3S
Specs:
Flying Weight:840g (29.7 oz)
Wingspan: 38.4" (900mm)
Length:31.8 in (808.5mm)
Material:FoamMinimum
Required Radio:4+ channel
Motor Size:15 BL outrunner 1260kV
Wing Area:203.7 Sq In (13.1 Sq Dm)

Durafly EFX Racer

100mph+ performance right out of the box (on 4S set-up).
Specs:
Wingspan: 1100mm (43")
Length: 760mm (30.2")
Flying weight: 910g (32oz)
Motor: AeroStar 3536 1780KV Brushless Outrunner
Prop: 8x6 (3S) and 7x6.5 (4S) supplied
Battery: 1800mah 14.8V 4S (30C min) or 2200mah 11.1V 3S (30C min)
Servos: 4 x 9g digital servos (metal geared on ailerons)
ESC: AeroStar 60A
Controls: 4 Channel (Throttle, Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder)

FT Super/Narrowbody Racer (need a name, suggestions?)

Top speed: ???? :unsure:
Specs:
Wingspan: 1016mm (40")
Length: 760mm (33")
Flying weight: 742g (26oz)
Motor: NTM PropDrive 3536 1800KV V2
Prop: 7x7
Battery: 2500mah 14.8V 4S
Servos: 6 x 9g digital servos (metal geared on ailerons and elevator)
ESC: Turnigy YEP 80A
Controls: 6 Channel (Throttle, Ailerons 2 channels , Elevator, Rudder, Flaps)

PoorManRC

Master member
Name.....
Well, David designed the Racer after the "Planes" Movie character "Slinger"...

How about building on that, with Ripslinger??

Sero

Elite member
Wow! Best looking FT Racer I've ever seen!
Yeah, he really took it to another level... Like yours!!

You guys are too kind. Thank for the compliments!

@nerdnic I was tempted to build your Beta Racer before building V2 of this Racer, but I decided to continue with this one as I felt I wasn't done with it. Probably will tackle it sometime soon, I'm thinking my Propdrive 2836 2200KV will work well.

Sero

Elite member
Well the maiden was a success. I forgot my GoPro so I had someone video it with my phone but had issues focusing on the plane. So the rest was recorded on their phone, I will get those videos and post them as soon as I can.
I first ran a 1800 4s battery with a 7x6 prop to trim it out and get use to its characteristics. Still flies well at slower speeds an the flaps work well. Then after a few minutes I did a few full power passes and there is a noticeable speed increase over V1. After landing the motor temperature was measured at 35 Celsius. Second run I put on the 7X7 prop with a 2500 4s and there was another increase in full speed. I did a medium speed loop and I it tracked straight through it, no high speed stall. I'm sure V1 one would have rolled on that loop so at this point I will say theres an improvement, more flying will verify that. Also there is no more Dutch roll like V1 had. I ran that battery fairly hard and this thing is fast. Pretty sure I'm hitting 100mph, and the person with me felt that it was easily that fast. Wish I had some way to confirm it.
After landing I check the motor temp again and we we're in the high 30's, next flight will be with a 7x8 prop.
The one mistake I made was I didn't do a good job on check out my landing area, the later summer season had caused the tall grass to be more sparse and both times the plane stopped roughly in some empty pockets. Their is a minor crack on one side of the nose. Its minor and an easy fix.
Before flying V2 I also changed my PWM and timing settings in my ESC and wonder if that contributed to some speed increase. I was very surprised how cool the motor was after the flights and I'm sure it was hotter on V1. Also I'm going to have to consider higher C rated batteries as I'm getting some good voltage sag when running full power for some extended passes.

Overall I'm pleased with the results, I did take it easy and didnt try anything too risky, once my nerves calm down and I get a bit more stick time I will try some different patterns. In the mean time I'm excited to paint it and fly more.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well the maiden was a success. I forgot my GoPro so I had someone video it with my phone but had issues focusing on the plane. So the rest was recorded on their phone, I will get those videos and post them as soon as I can.
I first ran a 1800 4s battery with a 7x6 prop to trim it out and get use to its characteristics. Still flies well at slower speeds an the flaps work well. Then after a few minutes I did a few full power passes and there is a noticeable speed increase over V1. After landing the motor temperature was measured at 35 Celsius. Second run I put on the 7X7 prop with a 2500 4s and there was another increase in full speed. I did a medium speed loop and I it tracked straight through it, no high speed stall. I'm sure V1 one would have rolled on that loop so at this point I will say theres an improvement, more flying will verify that. Also there is no more Dutch roll like V1 had. I ran that battery fairly hard and this thing is fast. Pretty sure I'm hitting 100mph, and the person with me felt that it was easily that fast. Wish I had some way to confirm it.
After landing I check the motor temp again and we we're in the high 30's, next flight will be with a 7x8 prop.
The one mistake I made was I didn't do a good job on check out my landing area, the later summer season had caused the tall grass to be more sparse and both times the plane stopped roughly in some empty pockets. Their is a minor crack on one side of the nose. Its minor and an easy fix.
Overall I'm pleased with the results, I'm excited to paint it and fly more.
Good to hear about the successful maiden. I want to get to that point myself. What change in the design of the plane was the contributing factor to eliminating the Dutch roll and tip stall do you think?

Sero

Elite member
Good to hear about the successful maiden. I want to get to that point myself. What change in the design of the plane was the contributing factor to eliminating the Dutch roll and tip stall do you think?
Increasing the directional stability by adding the ventral fin and dorsal extension helped for both I believe. Here describes the cause of Dutch roll to be weak directional stability and strong lateral stability. Getting rid of the dihedral also helps. I also read that weak directional stability can contribute to a high speed stall because when the plane banks up hard the vertical stabilizer will be shrouded by the fuselage from air flow. Adding the ventral fin helps because this will be in the air stream in this situation as it below the fuselage.