FT Racer Narrow Fuse/Speed wing

jfaleo1

I am really glad this is flying so much better, and I appreciate your thanks, but you deserve all the credit here. This is what improving high speed aircraft (or most aircraft) is all about. Looks to me like you used all the tools at hand. You took a decent existing design, with a lot of peoples input you pulled everyones best, along with 98% your own ideas for mods, and created a greatly improved design. Look at todays Formula 1 race planes at Reno, there are few designs that are "completely" new. Almost every one is based on one of the designs from the '60s or '70s (and earlier), but every one is much faster and some look less and less like their ancestors. I gave you ideas based on the Cessna Citation and Hawker line of business jets and King air Turbo Props. In both of those aircraft lines I could draw a family tree that shows the DNA from mulch earlier designs is in even the most current production airplanes. You are continuing a great tradition handed down from the beginnings of aviation to right now.:geek:

:sleep:Wow, that got long:eek: Sorry. TLDR (Too Long Didn't Read): Thanks and you did a great job, continuing the tradition of aircraft designers of the past.:cool:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Last 30 seconds of maiden flight, 7x6 prop, did all the slow speed flying before this video caught anything.

2nd flight, 7x7 prop, still taking it easy and flying simple circles.
I likey! It has some powerful bursts man. What are you using for a battery? C rating?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I like your jig to cut down your prop. I might have to do the same with mine. Did you cut it down gradually by moving the jig or was that all in one shot in the on position and ease the blades into it?

Sero

Elite member
I like your jig to cut down your prop. I might have to do the same with mine. Did you cut it down gradually by moving the jig or was that all in one shot in the on position and ease the blades into it?
I used a drill bit of the closest size to the props hub diameter, marked 3.5" from the centre and used that same mark to cut both prop tips initially with a small hand saw. I cut just past the mark I made then I clamped the jig on the drill press table and sanded both tips so they're smooth and the exactly the same length as t the mark I made.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I used a drill bit of the closest size to the props hub diameter, marked 3.5" from the centre and used that same mark to cut both prop tips initially with a small hand saw. I cut just past the mark I made then I clamped the jig on the drill press table and sanded both tips so they're smooth and the exactly the same length as t the mark I made.
Ok cool. How did you balance it after

Sero

Elite member
I likey! It has some powerful bursts man. What are you using for a battery? C rating?
70amp continuous, 125 amp burst. My batteries are my limiting factor at this point, even more so when I put on the 7x8 prop. The maximum speed will only be achieved for a few seconds and as voltage sag sets it the plane will slow down.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have a Gens ace 2200 3s 25C that will get warm and doesn't balloon, and a Venom 2200 3s 30C that stays cooler then the Gens ace but has ballooned like crazy. Buddy has a couple of 35C 2200 3s that I want to try. Just got to make adapters for them.

Sero

Elite member
I have a Gens ace 2200 3s 25C that will get warm and doesn't balloon, and a Venom 2200 3s 30C that stays cooler then the Gens ace but has ballooned like crazy. Buddy has a couple of 35C 2200 3s that I want to try. Just got to make adapters for them.
I have 8 of those Gen-Ace batteries, I've been happy with them. I haven't used them much recently as I seem to be running 4s on everything. Going to make a Guinea pig and Edge soon and I will use 3 s on those only.

Definitely worth getting a power analyzer, helpful in deciding which battery, ESC or prop to use. This is the one I have.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I do have access to a power analyzer now, as of yesterday. I have abused these batteries in the past, I am going to learn how to read them better in the future. I want to get better batts and keep them fresh for awhile.

Looks like the key is the prop balancer tool, might be an exhausting effort to make one. Might look that up on YouTube...

Sero

Elite member
Trying to figure a way to find the speed of this.
So I'm watching the videos and at one point on the video I do two circles around the field at almost full speed. When I look at Google maps I measure the field at approximately 200 m by 200 m. Obviously I don't go to the boundaries of the field with the plane but let's say I do 100 m circles. I timed the two circles at 12 seconds which equates to 52 metres per second which equates to 118 miles per hour.
Very precise right? 😁
Hoping once get the plane all dialed in I can measure a distance on the field and time how long it takes to travel between the points.
Or maybe I should buy the radar gun they sell online at Costco and return it when I'm done?:rolleyes:
Anybody have any other ideas? Can't afford much.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So I'm watching the videos and at one point on the video I do two circles around the field at almost full speed. When I look at Google maps I measure the field at approximately 200 m by 200 m. Obviously I don't go to the boundaries of the field with the plane but let's say I do 100 m circles. I timed the two circles at 12 seconds which equates to 52 metres per second which equates to 118 miles per hour.
Very precise right? 😁
Hoping once get the plane all dialed in I can measure a distance on the field and time how long it takes to travel between the points.
Or maybe I should buy the radar gun they sell online at Costco and return it when I'm done?:rolleyes:
Just measure a start and stop point distance. Run through it and video it. Check the time on the video counter. It's not like gps precise or anything, but the Highway Patrol has been using that method for many years! ;)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Very precise right? 😁
The conversion from meters traveled to miles per hour is kind of a head scratcher huh lol