FT Racer Narrow Fuse/Speed wing

Sero

Elite member
We'll I'm anxious to try this out. Hopefully this weekend:D

IMG_20191017_164612_01.jpg

And I've been absent from the forums because I've been busy playing and building things with this

IMG_20191016_221459.jpg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
We'll I'm anxious to try this out. Hopefully this weekend:D

View attachment 146305

And I've been absent from the forums because I've been busy playing and building things with this

View attachment 146306
Oh, shoot! Who's gonna hold the radar gun? Doesn't matter. I just can't wait to see what the figures are! Oh. My. Gosh. I am absolutely stoked to see how fast you're going! I want that. I'm not pulling anywhere near the speed you are, but just knowing how fast I just flew my Spitfire above my head would be pretty darn cool!

Now YOU've got a darn 3d printer, too? Seems like everyone but me. What do you plan to do with it? That's a pretty big question, eh? You've got the 3d printer. What are you planning to do with it? :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My Christmas present to you will be the same thing I got you last year.....:p
But I already got a bunch of those :LOL:
Oh, shoot! Who's gonna hold the radar gun? Doesn't matter. I just can't wait to see what the figures are! Oh. My. Gosh. I am absolutely stoked to see how fast you're going! I want that. I'm not pulling anywhere near the speed you are, but just knowing how fast I just flew my Spitfire above my head would be pretty darn cool!

Now YOU've got a darn 3d printer, too? Seems like everyone but me. What do you plan to do with it? That's a pretty big question, eh? You've got the 3d printer. What are you planning to do with it? :)

Everything is probably what he plans to do with it. It's funny how I have a small stash of STL files but no printer... like one will magically show up lol

Sero

Elite member

LOL, I like how you're just as excited as me, maybe even more...

Ya the weather is looking good for this weekend, so I hope I'll be able to find the time and a person to hold the radar gun. With the shorter daylight this time of the year it seems the weekend is the only time it will work.

I've already made all kinds of RC stuff; servo holders, Seaduck engine covers (for the guinea pig I plan to make soon), fire walls, mini power pods. I'm hoping to soon learn to design some stuff, maybe make a streamline nose for V3 of the Racer.

Sero

Elite member
Beautiful day at the flying field, clear skies, pretty much no wind, and I ran 2 packs on the Cub, 2 packs on my Sea Duck/Goose (I call it Sea Goose) and 2 packs on the Racer...... Fastest pass with the radar gun....117mph. :cool:

The fastest pass was pretty much the first one and each one after was about 4mph slower until about 100mph and at that point the battery was pretty much done. I don't have photo proof of the first pass but I have this.

IMG_20191027_120500.jpg

Next step, install this with a 10x9 prop....:)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Beautiful day at the flying field, clear skies, pretty much no wind, and I ran 2 packs on the Cub, 2 packs on my Sea Duck/Goose (I call it Sea Goose) and 2 packs on the Racer...... Fastest pass with the radar gun....117mph. :cool:

The fastest pass was pretty much the first one and each one after was about 4mph slower until about 100mph and at that point the battery was pretty much done. I don't have photo proof of the first pass but I have this.

View attachment 146480

Next step, install this with a 10x9 prop....:)
Holy cow, that's cool as heck! I can't imagine flying a plane that fast. Never mind, even faster!

Sero

Elite member
Is this speed on 4s?

You change to that motor and prop and it would be nuts!

Yes on 4s, none of my 3s battery's are suitable for this plane, either too small or not high enough C rating.

We'll see what happens with the new motor. I'm thinking of building a V3 of this plane with some ideas of making it more slippery, but I may wait till spring as the fields I fly at will be too soggy during the winter. I'll move onto planes with wheels or that can land on snow. Just printed off a set of skis for my cub. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yes on 4s, none of my 3s battery's are suitable for this plane, either too small or not high enough C rating.

We'll see what happens with the new motor. I'm thinking of building a V3 of this plane with some ideas of making it more slippery, but I may wait till spring as the fields I fly at will be too soggy during the winter. I'll move onto planes with wheels or that can land on snow. Just printed off a set of skis for my cub. :)
What kind of planes are you thinking of for winter?

Sero

Elite member
What kind of planes are you thinking of for winter?
Going to build a Guinea pig, if there's no snow I have a good area to land, may try to put skis on it for snow. Plan is to see how slow I can make it fly, nice thing is with the removable wing I can try things out easily without concerning myself of making things permanent. Also going to put lights on it since the days will be shorter.

d4mer

Hi Everyone,

Great job Sero!!! Looks bad ass!!!

I have a stock racer built and have added a 3536 1800 on it with a 8 x 5 prop and a 3s battery but I am getting pretty bad left roll on launch and full throttle.

Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem. Is the drive system not correct?

Thanks

Ed

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hi Everyone,

I have a stock racer built and have added a 3536 1800 on it with a 8 x 5 prop and a 3s battery but I am getting pretty bad left roll on launch and full throttle.

Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem. Is the drive system not correct?

Thanks

Ed
It sounds like you're experiencing torque roll and a bit of P factor. Adjusting your thrust angle so that it points more to the right (when looking at the plane from above) should solve your issue, 1 to 2 degrees is normally enough.

Sero

Elite member
Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Ed
Thanks Ed!

There not much you can do for torque roll other than be ready for it. Anytime the plane isn't moving fast and you give it too much throttle it will want to twist, I'm gradual with the throttle on my plane. When hand launching set the throttle before tossing and don't move it till the plane is flying, give it a good toss. I hand launch with my right arm so my hand is only on the left stick, I never have a problem getting my right hand down and correcting in time, so there is time.

Good luck!

Sero

Elite member
Well I've flown this plane 20+ packs and I'm really having a lot of fun with it. It tracks so good and is very predictable, it performs well at slower speeds but even better at higher speeds.
Next step is fitting the 3548 1100kv motor. The power pod needs to change as the motor is 12mm longer than the 3536 1800kv and I don't want the prop sticking out too far. Also the 3548 motor and prop weighs in at 242 grams which is 77 grams heavier than the previous 3536 motor/prop combo and I can't have all that weight sticking that far ahead as the CG is going to be thrown off. Some basic calculations shows I'm still going to need 30 grams of weight in the tail to keep my battery in the same spot to achieve proper CG.

@nerdnic recommends the 10x10 prop with this motor to hit 120 for 40 Inch planes as seen here. My previous 3536 motor he recommends for 30 inch planes to hit 120. While I didn't quite hit 120, I'd say 117 is good enough but my plane is 40" not 30". So I'm very curious to see what this new motor will get my racer to.

I have 3 props for this motor a APC 9x10, APC 10X10 and a Master Airscrew Scimitar 10x8. I decided to do some bench amp testing to make sure I don't smoke anything on the first flight. First before I did any bench testing I changed the PWM of the ESC to match the KV of the new motor. The timing I kept the same. I find the HK YEP ESC's are finicky with their settings but perform quite well when set-up properly.
All testing was done with a fully charged 4S 60-120C battery.

APC 9x10 , 70 amps 1041 watts, ESC and motor were 20 degrees Celsius after 5 seconds at full power.

MA Scimitar 10x8, 68 amps 1000 watts, ESC and motor were 20 degrees Celsius after 5 seconds at full power.

APC 10X10, 93 amps , 1358 watts, ESC was 30 degrees and motor was 35 degrees Celsius after 5 seconds at full power and 45 after 10 seconds.

I'm going to try all 3 props on this plane and see what the speed results are. But with the 10x10 I'll have to keep an eye on the temperatures. It should be OK as the flying amps will be less and there will be more airflow over the motor.

I'll have pics soon and hopefully will be fully completed. I'm hoping to get this done before the weekend and the weather will be good as in 2 weeks I'm getting shoulder surgery and can't use my arm till the new year, so no building or flying for 6 weeks.