FT Racer Narrow Fuse/Speed wing

Sero

Elite member
Plane is ready to fly, unfortunately the weather doesn't look good until Tuesday.:mad:

I redesigned the power pod and battery tray, the pod is longer and the tray locks into the pod. I'm hoping the will help distribute any pod loads further back as the nose of the plane seems to be the weak point. I'd prefer the one piece FT power pod as it seems to be a bit more robust but it wasn't an option with this plane.

Pod and tray
IMG_20191113_115403.jpg

Installed
IMG_20191113_123401.jpg

30 grams of weight installed on tail, should have done 23 as there's more room behind the battery now, I may pop off one of the 1/2 ounce and put on a quarter ounce in its place. I drilled holes in the weight as I was going to put a bolt through it but there was a carbon fibre rod in the way so I just used 2 straps to secure it.
IMG_20191113_123648.jpg

As expected, the plane gained some weight. No battery in this photo.
IMG_20191113_125044.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I know you already have this pod figured out, but for future reference if you fell the need I do have a power pod thread that might give you some options to play with or inspire some ideas. Link is here. The same power pod I built in this thread, (check the dates) I am still using and has been with 4 different planes now. The only thing I changed was after using the original plywood firewall and breaking it was that I switched out the plywood for cutting board plastic, once, tough as nails. I only mention it because you said the nose was a weak point in this plane.

Sero

Elite member
I know you already have this pod figured out, but for future reference if you fell the need I do have a power pod thread that might give you some options to play with or inspire some ideas. Link is here. The same power pod I built in this thread, (check the dates) I am still using and has been with 4 different planes now. The only thing I changed was after using the original plywood firewall and breaking it was that I switched out the plywood for cutting board plastic, once, tough as nails. I only mention it because you said the nose was a weak point in this plane.

Looks good Chris, but a full length power pod isn't an option for this plane. The ESC is below the power pod and I don't have an opening on the bottom of the plane. I install the ESC after I put in the power pod so it has to be short. A long power pod would help absorb and distribute any bumps on the nose across the fuselage rather than just on the nose. That's why I made the new battery tray lock into the pod more and help them become one.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Like I said could be something to think of o a future build, just so you know about it. Plane looks great though.

Did you see Ben Harber doing a 195mph run on his redline today?

Sero

Elite member
Last chance to fly today before surgery, forecast for the weekend is supposed to be stormy but today was beautiful and no wind, just didn't have a radar gun operator with me.

Plane fliys well, I was worried about torque on launch with the larger motor and prop but that went well. It's much quieter with the bigger prop.

Fastest pass was the first one, here's a video.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Last chance to fly today before surgery, forecast for the weekend is supposed to be stormy but today was beautiful and no wind, just didn't have a radar gun operator with me.

Plane fliys well, I was worried about torque on launch with the larger motor and prop but that went well. It's much quieter with the bigger prop.

Fastest pass was the first one, here's a video.

Nice pass, were you nervous, could hear you breathing heavy?

Just subscribed to you on YT

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That was exhilarating just to watch! Heck yeah, I would have been nervous! Talk about no room for error! I wish you luck with your surgery. I pray that all goes well! :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
LOL ya I notice that on the videos too. Actually I do that often, even when I'm not flying.
I am a bit nervous, at that speed mistakes happen fast and are usually fatal. It's all good, lots of fun.
Same with me, it's almost like I have to remind myself to calm down and breath, mostly with the faster planes, until I get used to how they handle. Lately it has just been that I have taken a 2 week hiatus waiting for the Tx in the mail but I am gonna get some quality time in tomorrow.

All the best on your surgery bud (y)

Sero

Elite member
That was exhilarating just to watch! Heck yeah, I would have been nervous! Talk about no room for error! I wish you luck with your surgery. I pray that all goes well! :)

Same with me, it's almost like I have to remind myself to calm down and breath, mostly with the faster planes, until I get used to how they handle. Lately it has just been that I have taken a 2 week hiatus waiting for the Tx in the mail but I am gonna get some quality time in tomorrow.

All the best on your surgery bud (y)

Thanks! I'm really anxious to radar it, forecast is looking a little better, but still not great. maybe tomorrow I'll get another chance. :D

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, not looking forward to the first month of recovery. I'm supposed to wear a sling for 6 weeks and not drive, I'm going to go stir crazy stuck at home. At least its during winter and not flying season, although I usually fly year round but it is nicer during the summer.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks! I'm really anxious to radar it, forecast is looking a little better, but still not great. maybe tomorrow I'll get another chance. :D

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, not looking forward to the first month of recovery. I'm supposed to wear a sling for 6 weeks and not drive, I'm going to go stir crazy stuck at home. At least its during winter and not flying season, although I usually fly year round but it is nicer during the summer.
Looks like you might get some expand the hangar time with all the designing and building you will be doing.

Sero

Elite member
Looks like you might get some expand the hangar time with all the designing and building you will be doing.

I've actually been on long term disability for 13 months waiting for this surgery, I'm kinda use to the time off. But I'll have another 6 months after the surgery before I go back to work, so I'll have some more building and flying time once I can do basic stuff with my arm. May start on V3 as soon as I can.
I'm still planning to build a Guinea Pig and an Edge, but I'll do that once I have access to a laser cutter, which should be in January.

Sero

Elite member
Well I managed to clock the Racer on Sunday but my flying was crap and I couldn't get it lined up for a good radar reading. It seems my trim was off after the motor change (thrust angle and perhaps due to more power) and it was pulling up with speed. Unfortunately I didn't catch on to this soon enough. But... my vary last pass, just as the battery was done, I got 117 mph. With the smaller motor my last pass reading was just over 100mph. Pretty sure its doing 130-140, but I will get an opportunity to verify once I have better use of my arm.

Sero

Elite member
Back at it!
I've done at least a dozen flights on the plane since I've last posted and I'm getting it dialed in better. It's trimmed well and I'm getting much better, more comfortable flying it, which means I'm able to get better radar readings. I'm telling you, 115mph 10-15 feet off the ground are a scary!! I've had the chance to radar this a few times including today and I got 116mph as my fasted pass with a bit of a headwind, maybe 10 mph. I'm a bit surprised as I thought It would do better. I have a few other props that I'm going to try soon to see if its any faster or what the difference is going to be.
Since it takes 4 times the power to make the plane go twice the speed I think at this point the difference is going to be aerodynamics and there's not much I can do with this existing air frame.
I have quite a few ideas for V3 and I feel there are a few things I could have done better on this air frame. I'd love to hit 140 with the existing electronics I have and I want to keep the planes size the same. We'll see what happens.

In the mean time I'm going to play with a few things, I'm going to set-up triple rates, High rates for take off and landings, medium rates for slow to medium speeds and low rates for high speed full throttle. The flight envelope on this plane is quite wide and can get a bit too twitchy for my liking at !00%, I'm also going to try some crow settings, a higher rate for braking and a lower rate to add a bit of washout for slower flight speeds. Just few things I want to play with.

I've also added some wing fillets to the plane, I know this helps with aerodynamics on full scale but didn't think it would matter on this, but I like the look anyway.

IMG_20200303_132603.jpg

IMG_20200303_133037.jpg

IMG_20200304_075958.jpg

Sero

Elite member
I few updates, still running 2 packs through this plane every time I'm out flying which is 2-3 times a week. I have an easy 60-70 flights on it and its been a pleasure to fly, very fast, it cruises very nicely too, tracks so straight and aerobatics are real nice. Around 66% throttle it's doing 75-80 mph and I'll get an easy 3 1/2 min flight time out of a 4s 2200 battery. Inverted, split-s, immelman, loops, rolls, cuban 8's etc are all so very nice and precise, just takes up some space when doing it.

I bumped up the timing on the ESC and got a consistent 5 mph higher average passes with an all time high of 121 mph, motor still came down only warm to the touch. I also tried a MAS 10x8 prop which netted a max speed of 111 mph. If I run this plane at or near full power most of the flight I'll get a 2 - 2.5 min flight time.

I've had to do a few minor repairs, I got too close to a tree and took a small chunk out of the leading edge of the wing, just a twig so it didn't phase the plane, easy fix. Last landing I did the prop dug in the ground and caused the power pod to twist and pop open the nose, also an easy fix.

Overall cosmetically the plane has very few wrinkles in it that most of my FB planes develop, most of the dings and dents are from transporting the plane, I need to build a rack for the inside of my SUV.

I have 2 3s 1300 75c batteries that I'm tempted to wire in series and see what I can get out of that. I have an 8x8 APC and 7x9 APC that might work well with that combo but I don't want to wreck my motor and ESC. The only way I will test that is on the bench to see the amps it will pull, I don't like doing that on the plane. I wish I bought the 100 Amp ESC rather than the 80.

With all that done I've been doing some math and collecting ideas/thoughts and parts for V3, not sure when I will get started with that.

Sero

Elite member
Well this Racer is still going, hundreds of flights on it. No crashes, but plenty of belly landings with some not so great ones that have taken its toll on the airframe. It's gained about 200 grams of weight from all the mods and repairs I've done.
I've been working on the replacement Racer ( V3 ) for a while, but seems to get shelved only because this one keeps going.

In the mean time I designed and printed this HD camera mount and got some footage.
PXL_20210420_184347974.jpg

BTW, please excuse the sloppy flying.;)

Last edited: