FT Racer performing poorly.

IKoljaI

Hey guys,
I just build the FT Racer. When flying the plane it is very hard to control although the cg is fine. I am using a 1400kv Motor producing about 930g of thrust. The total weight of the plane is 750 grams. Do you think the Motor is too weak? In the original build they use a 1180kv Motor producing about 1250g of thrust. Also while beeing faster the plane seems to be more stable. What do you think? Greetings from Germany :)

Chuppster

Hey guys,
I just build the FT Racer. When flying the plane it is very hard to control although the cg is fine. I am using a 1400kv Motor producing about 930g of thrust. The total weight of the plane is 750 grams. Do you think the Motor is too weak? In the original build they use a 1180kv Motor producing about 1250g of thrust. Also while beeing faster the plane seems to be more stable. What do you think? Greetings from Germany :)
Hello! Have you tried moving the CG forward to make it a little nose-heavy? It sounds like your power is fine.

Are you able to fly it or are you crashing on take off?

IKoljaI

Hello! Have you tried moving the CG forward to make it a little nose-heavy? It sounds like your power is fine.

Are you able to fly it or are you crashing on take off?

Im able to take off, but I have to countersteer pretty hard too keep it straight. And i havent tried to put the cg forward. I guess the steering problem could be solved with a little trimming?!

Chuppster

I love the video! I spent 3 weeks in Berlin and it made me miss Germany. Such a beautiful country! I also enjoy that you are sharing the experience with your friend. See seemed like she was having fun too!

From what I'm seeing, it looks like you are a tad bit tail heavy. Maybe move your battery forward 2 cm? Also, consider dialing down your rates a bit or adding some expo. Your flying is quite jerky and it looks like things may be too responsive.

I'm not sure how making it out of cardboard will effect things, other than making it heavy. Just from what I could see you may want to consider using some thicker wire for your linkages, they may have a little slop. But a good starting point would be to dial down your throws and give it at least 30% expo. I don't know how long you have been in the hobby so if I'm using too much technical language please ask me to explain things.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Loved the vid. Only additional comment I would make to the excellent advice from @Chuppster is that for launching, your friend will help you launch better by standing still and throwing hard instead of running and just letting go (and it's easier)!

I used to visit Germany a lot over the last 2 - 3 years, Mannheim and Heidelberg, man, I miss the food!

DamoRC

IKoljaI

This plane is driving me crazy, I tried everything. The plane is always going left and down no matter how much trim I apply to counter it. :cry: Ifthe motor is spinning clockwise it wants to turn the plane clockwise too is that right?!

Chuppster

This plane is driving me crazy, I tried everything. The plane is always going left and down no matter how much trim I apply to counter it. :cry: Ifthe motor is spinning clockwise it wants to turn the plane clockwise too is that right?!

Like @jaredstrees asked, how is your thrust angle? Is your power pod straight?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor

Looking at the plane from the front, the prop normally spins counter-clockwise and the plane will try to rotate in the opposite direction .

DamoRC

IKoljaI

Looking at the plane from the front, the prop normally spins counter-clockwise and the plane will try to rotate in the opposite direction .

DamoRC
Yeah I was looking from the tail and then everything makes sense :D
I'll test it the next days
Thank you

jaredstrees

Another quick question for you. Is this your first plane? The racer probably isn't the best beginner plane. Maybe not even the best for the second or third plane. If you've got flight experience, though, it should be ok. And if it's your first scratch build, well, my first several planes didn't fly well. Keep it up and you'll get her airborne! Good luck!