FT Racer Will Not Take Off

Hello all, after flying my Delta Ray for 10 months now I have felt a need to try a new aircraft. I have been building an FT Racer with minimum modifications to reduce weight. At first I had only added a removable wing so it would fit into my car. I tried hand launching it but I broke a prop. Next I turned it into a tail dragger. When I gave it power it just nosed over and I nicked another prop. Deciding to turn it into a trike I moved the main gears back (based on Flying Penguin RC's design) and added a third gear to the power pod (also based off of FPRC's design). In short the trike gear didn't help either.

As far as my power system I am using a Suppo 2208/14 with an APC 8 x 4E. I am running it off of a Towerpro 30A ESC and a 3s 2200 LiPo. Any help would be great,

Troop 17 Aviation Group

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Thats a far under powered motor for that plane its only recommend up to 500grams plane and the full built racer with a 2200 is going to put you around 800+grams. Pretty sure your going to need a larger motor look for a good 250watt+ motor to get you started

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Definitely switch to a larger motor. I would suggest an NTM 2830 1200kv. You should be able to fly it quite well with an 8/6 prop.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, I will definitely start looking for a new motor. In the meantime is there an FT plane that my Suppo motor will power? Thanks,

Troop 17 Aviation Group

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
It will fly the versa wing just fine, It might be able to get the duster off. The first three swappables will fly just fine off of that motor.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks for the advice guys, I will definitely start looking for a new motor. In the meantime is there an FT plane that my Suppo motor will power? Thanks,

Troop 17 Aviation Group

Well i have a idea for you but will only work if you have some 1000 to 1300mah 3s batterys you can scale the racer down to a 80% then giving you a 32in ws. Itll be light enough for your set up there easy to fly and stick in any car without removable wing. Just a idea for you

I really like the idea, especially as a small pylon style park flyer. I truly do want to get into the air quickly though (say about a week or two). Would my power setup work on an FT-22? Also do you think I would be at that skill level? I have been flying the Delta Ray on Expert Mode for about 4 months now. Thanks again for the tips guys!

Troop 17 Aviation Group

Flynn

That motor worked on my spitfire with an 8x6 prop. Definitely use a park 400 or 425 for some crazy vertical on the FT racer. I can't comment on the FT22 I built 2 and they both had the same bad results.

ruud

My FT-22 flew fine with the 2208/14 with an 8x4 prop, although I used a 1000 mAh 3S battery rather than 2200 mAh. (I now use a 7x6 prop, though)

Thanks again for the help guys. I'm surfing Hobby King right now. Would you guys recommend the NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 286w or the NTM Prop Drive Series 28-30 1200kv / 400w? Also is the APC Style Propeller 8x4R (Right Hand Rotation - 2pc) a pusher prop basically? Thanks,

Troop 17 Aviation Group

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I would recommend the 28-30 1200kv. You should get 8x6 props. An 8x4 will be overspun by the motor and will give you less thrust. The 28-30 will give some more punch than the 28-26 and will work with all of the flite test planes. Go with normal (left hand) rotation props.