Solved FT Radial 2205 defect?(Shaft Dimensions Too Long)

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've been putting off addressing this for a while, because I've been pretty busy with life and builds lately. I have a FT radial 1806 that I plan to use soon and FT radial 2205. Had them both a while, but started using the 2205 a few weeks back. The shaft is too long to fit a prop snugly, and there is plenty of loose space between the cap nut and the propeller because the shaft is abnormally long compared to the one on the 1806, which fits snug. The dimensions are obviously off, I understand that to keep the products cheap and accessible the manufacturing has to be outsourced so maybe a lapse in quality control? I'll get some pics when I go out in the garage to work on planes. I was able to put a couple funky little washers on it and get it working, and have been running it on one of my planes for a bit now with no issues, but it is sort of annoying. Anyone else have this problem? Should I try to send it back even though I've used it, or should I try to take a hacksaw and file and sand pager and cut it down and smooth the end?? What is the best option?

I'd really like to use FT 2205 radials for my upcoming dash 8 project to support FT and because I want some products from the FT site anyway and it would be easier to get my motors here too, but I'm worried I'll get the shaft again:LOL:. I can always use Graupner 2806 Ultras, they are the same price and similar performance though...so what would the best option be?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Looking at the images in the FT Store the shaft on the 2205 seems to be longer than the 1806. You could use a locknut (with the hole going all the way through) instead of the nut cap.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Looking at the images in the FT Store the shaft on the 2205 seems to be longer than the 1806. You could use a locknut (with the hole going all the way through) instead of the nut cap.
I'll see if I can dig one up. one came with the motor, but didn't seem to fit down far enough either. I'll try again or look around in my nuts and bolts for one that will fit.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Ok. Here's the pics attached. One has the funky washers, one has the prop cap with no washers showing a gap with plenty of wiggle room, and another shows the "lock nut" that came with the motor, which is just a prop cap that doesn't descent any further down and actually leaves an even larger gap than the bullet shaped cap. I will try to look through my nuts and bolts for a proper lock nut, but a "premium" motor should come with the proper hardware to mount a prop, so either A the shaft dimension is too long, or B, they are not sending the right cap or lock nut.

Attachments

• IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Ok. Here's the pics attached. One has the funky washers, one has the prop cap with no washers showing a gap with plenty of wiggle room, and another shows the "lock nut" that came with the motor, which is just a prop cap that doesn't descent any further down and actually leaves an even larger gap than the bullet shaped cap. I will try to look through my nuts and bolts for a proper lock nut, but a "premium" motor should come with the proper hardware to mount a prop, so either A the shaft dimension is too long, or B, they are not sending the right cap or lock nut.
You should be able to keep screwing down the lock nut.

Vimana89

Legendary member
You should be able to keep screwing down the lock nut.
I can try again some time but the hole diameter on top of the lock nut is significantly smaller than the one at the base so it can't pass through and come out the top and screw down further, effectively making the lock nut just another cap.

Last edited:

moret

I can try again some time but the hole diameter on top of the lock nut is significantly smaller than the one at the base so it can't pass through and come out the top and screw down further, effectively making the lock nut just another cap.
The top of the nut is plastic correct. It is made to be real hard to screw on so it will not come off. (think CW props) But the bolt should come out of the top of the nut. I had a very hard time holding the motor so it would not turn while I was screwing down the "lock nut" on the new radial 2218 motor. It gets better after the first time

Vimana89

Legendary member
I can try it, but I think it is a poor design. Bust your prop or chew it up gradually then have to get that thing off and on again. The 1806 fits snug with either end cap, the lock nut or the bullet shaped one. Also, I will look closer, but no plastic to my knowledge just one piece of machined aluminum.

Vimana89

Legendary member
On closer inspection of the lock nuts, I can see the plastic or nylon ring, so they should end up working as intended, but I really like the other system better, a simple bullet shaped cap that I can slide a skinny Allen wrench or screwdriver through the front hole and just turn to tighten or remove. I'm not sure I even have the tools to tighten the lock nut all the way I'll check. I love you FT but this has me leaning towards Graupners for my Dash.

Kendalf

It isn't just FT Radials that have longer shafts. I have several other motors with shafts that are too long for the prop cap when I use certain props, and had to use lock nuts. The longer shaft allows for props with thicker hubs. It wouldn't be possible to use those props on motors with shorter shafts since there wouldn't be enough thread at the end for a nut to tighten down enough.

Vimana89

Legendary member
It isn't just FT Radials that have longer shafts. I have several other motors with shafts that are too long for the prop cap when I use certain props, and had to use lock nuts. The longer shaft allows for props with thicker hubs. It wouldn't be possible to use those props on motors with shorter shafts since there wouldn't be enough thread at the end for a nut to tighten down enough.
All good reasoning. Ups and downs I suppose, trade offs.It would be useful if I were trying some sort of non-standard prop, but I'm using basic Gem Fans. I'll take the washers off the motor on my RETjet and try it the proper way with the lock nut and see how I like it, how inconvenient it is. I know the Graupner 2806 1900KV motors work well and are set up for basic props. I'm not sure how they stack up to the FT radial 2205 in exact performance though, but the specs should be pretty close.