Help! FT Radial motor question

rgc213

I just got the new 2218 Radial motor for the edge I'm building, and I'm pretty excited.
However, the nut for the shaft has what looks to be a lock nut and does not fit all the way onto the shaft (stops at the plastic thing inset into the nut).
I was wondering if you need to use a spacer to get the prop closer to the end to allow the nut to tighten against the prop? and if so, what do you use as a spacer? Or should i get a nut that will screw down all the way?

Thanks,
reub

FastCrash45

Elite member
I just got the new 2218 Radial motor for the edge I'm building, and I'm pretty excited.
However, the nut for the shaft has what looks to be a lock nut and does not fit all the way onto the shaft (stops at the plastic thing inset into the nut).
I was wondering if you need to use a spacer to get the prop closer to the end to allow the nut to tighten against the prop? and if so, what do you use as a spacer? Or should i get a nut that will screw down all the way?

Thanks,
reub
That inset is what actually locks the nut in place. You just carefully twist it on, making sure it's not cross threaded, until it's tight. It will take some effort but it fills the threads with plastic so it doesn't spin off.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
You should be able to tighten the lock nut all the way to the point where it touches and then tightens on the prop hub (I've just finished testing a bunch of props on this motor and they all tightened up okay). If you are using a prop with an unusually thin hub then yes, you could put a washer behind the prop to help make it tight. Also make sure your are installing the nut the correct way around. Here's a pic.
IMG_3993.JPG

FastCrash45

Elite member
ah, thank you both......it's probably just really tight the first time around and will get easier to put on once I break a few props :)
I have found that after several uses they will get looser. When you can spin one on with just your fingers it's time to get a new one or it will come off. Happy flying!!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The actual piece is known to me as a "nylon lock-nut." The nylon ring is designed to be slightly less in diameter than the screw shaft, and literally locks onto it with pressure and deflection. It should be hard to fit the first time it is used.

If it were an automotive application, they are designed for one-time use. The nylon ring is effective, but it stretches and loses cohesion with each use.

In real life though? They get used over and over and over. @FastCrash45 has it right, in my opinion. They are good until they are no longer locking. If it's easy to put on or take off, then it's time to replace it.

Until then? I'ts just doing it's job.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm going to double check but I had the same problem with my 2205 motor, and the "lock nut" supplied doesn't seem to have a plastic insert like it should, but just is all aluminum with a smaller hole on rope that the shaft won't pass through, effectively just making it an end cap.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Looked closer appears to be a small clear plastic or nylon insert. Still, a lot of work to get on and off compared to a bullet shaped cap.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Looked closer appears to be a small clear plastic or nylon insert. Still, a lot of work to get on and off compared to a bullet shaped cap.
It is, and more secure because of it. I understand it's not usually a big deal on smaller motors, unless you're running clockwise to use your clockwise props, where there is a possibility of the bullet rotating itself off the shaft.

dlipovetsky

@rgc213

I'm so grateful you asked this question, and that everyone in this thread helped answer it.

I'm putting together my first plane, a HK MX2 955mm, and I chose this motor. Of course, when I opened the package, I could not understand how I would mount the SF 10x4.7 propeller on the shaft with just that nut. But after reading this thread, I understand :)