FT Recommended Settings

m00nsp3ll

Hi People,
Im getting ready for my new Ft simple Cub's maiden Flight but i have a problem about setting FT's recommended settings on my Transmitter.

There are 2 parts of settings which FT recommends Throw and Expo. I'm using Flysky i6x transmitter. I can set Expo but i dont know how to set Throw.

on the attachment you can see Dualrate - Expo Settings screen on my Transmitter

Recommended Settings For Simple Cub:

THROW /EXPO AILERON :12° 30% ELEVATOR 12° 30% RUDDER 12° 30%

how can i set 12° Throw for each channel?
P.S: Im Beginner Rc pilot

Regards,

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
To get your throws to 12 degrees lower your dual rate values on the transmitter until the surfaces deflect 12 degrees, or you can move the pushrod a couple holes in (towards the center) on the servo arm, but if the deflections are still a lot higher than 12 degrees you can go into your transmitter and lower the dual rates until the deflections are where you want them to be.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Under; Assign switches > Fly Mode. You can assign a switch (I prefer SWitchD) to toggle dual rates.

Then when you are in the Dual rates menu, toggle the switch and you can see you can define two different "rates" of control throw (Normal and Sport)

That's what the L and H mean on the throw gauge.
Using the Rate value set your control surfaces to deflect the L angle under Normal and Sport to the H angle.
When you fly you can then toggle between just cruising around or wild aerobatics (although, maybe not with the cub.);)

Expo will flatten out the stick's response so you have a little "slop" in the center so you don't over-control the plane (smooths out the ride.)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Huh...I never used Dual Rates to lower the throw; never thought to do that!

Then again, the Spektrum DX6 and above have the ability to adjust the travel, so I always set it based on high, and then put expo in for response. I'd also set up a 3 way switch for flight mode and have, low, med, and high expo rates for it, and always seemed to fly just fine. :)

Nothing wrong with either method, as far as I'm concerned; just different ways to do the same thing, right? :) I'm sure someone with FrSky's OpenTX will chime in about another method to do it, or show a different method with a Graupner. :) I'd be kinda interested to look at all of the different popular radios and see how the setup is, just so I know the basics of configuration for each. It can't be too different; the principles are the same and they want to keep it fairly close for people to be able to switch out from one transmitter to another...

Chuppster

When you fly you can then toggle between just cruising around or wild aerobatics (although, maybe not with the cub.);)

I was flat-spinning like a crazy person this past weekend. Tubby Cubby can move if you tell him to!

Good luck with your maiden, m00nsp3ll. Try and get a video if you have a camera person!

kilroy07

Legendary member
I was flat-spinning like a crazy person this past weekend.
:LOL: What are you running in yours?!
I've been flying mine with a 2212 and it's pretty docile (it will cruse forever on a 2200-3S swinging a DJI prop however!)

the Spektrum DX6 and above have the ability to adjust the travel
I saw the pic of the FLYSKY so I thought I would chime in.

I "Believe" on the FLYSKY theExpo is the inverse compared to Spektrum (I found this quite confusing in the beginning as I watched the FT video on rates and Expo.) Where they call for 30% expo I program in 70% and get a nice flat curve... (Am I wrong?)
IMG_7103[1].JPG
30% and it's barely doing anything.
IMG_7104.JPG

Also, "Rate" seems to be the "Travel" setting you spoke of (it's how I've been adjusting the throw distance of the control surfaces anyway, works for me.)

+1 for the maiden video BTW! If nothing else, it can help you troubleshoot if there's an issue.
(some of my biggest regrets are when I DON'T get that spectacular crash on camera!);)

Chuppster

:LOL: What are you running in yours?!
I've been flying mine with a 2212 and it's pretty docile (it will cruse forever on a 2200-3S swinging a DJI prop however!)

I have a PropDrive 2826 or something like that, can't remember for sure. It's got enough power do have fun with, but I can't do unlimited vertical.

On my FlySky transmitter the expo seems to be normal. The higher the number the flatter the response at center stick.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
I will say that I used about 2/3s the low rate on ailerons for my first few Cub flights. With the 1/8" landing gear and Timber 1.5m wheels I'm using it wouldn't allow the Cub to roll inverted and once trimmed I could let the stick go and it would level the wings. I'm on Cub #3 (so far this year) and I've improved to the point where I have high and low rates available with a switch (I still like landing with low rates better). I've not changed my gear design but I did build the last wing an inch long and without the under-cambered section. I use the current B-power pack motor and an ARES 9x4.7 prop on a 1000 mah 3S battery with good results (10 minute flights get me down with 11.5 +/- volts left). I use the stock down thrust angle, but I cut 2mm off the right side of the powerpod and taper the bottom for right thrust angle. I can hand launch full power with no left roll issues but I still have adverse yaw to deal with at that power setting. Oddly my third cub has binding in the rudder that I'm working on (sloppy assembly no doubt) and I apparently didn't get the fuselage quite square when I was assembling it so the horizontal stabilizer isn't. Still my go-to for questionable weather days when I don't want to risk the S.E.5a.