FT scout crash

agupt108

I am really new in rc planes...I've done a few scratch build, structurally sound, but flight time average around 5 seconds before a crash. The hand launch is tricky for me therefore I was interested in scratch building a plane with a landing gear. The simple cub has a tail dragger...would it be possible to replace with a tailwheel- if yes, how? Otherwise I think I will try to replicate the FT micro adventure PNP maybe the beaver?...it has no plans but i think I can merge a few different plane plans. Any advice/possible micro adventure plans would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Last edited:

luvmy40

Elite member
Check Thingiverse for several 3D printed tail wheel options. You could just wing it;) and do up something non stearable fairly easily. In all actuality, aside from the coolness factor, the tail skid with BBQ skewer works well.

Last edited:

Foamforce

aside from the coolness factor, the tail skid with BBQ skewer works well.

Yup. The skid works well. It’s on the rudder, so it steers the same as a tail wheel does and it works better on grass because it doesn’t get caught on anything. For that matter, my other planes have rigid drags that aren’t even on the rudder, and they steer just fine too. The tail immediately begins to lift as soon as you give it any throttle so the rudder is doing all the work anyways. If you’re still at the crashing-on-every-flight stage, then a tail wheel will be just one extra thing to fix every time. Good luck!

agupt108

Yup. The skid works well. It’s on the rudder, so it steers the same as a tail wheel does and it works better on grass because it doesn’t get caught on anything. For that matter, my other planes have rigid drags that aren’t even on the rudder, and they steer just fine too. The tail immediately begins to lift as soon as you give it any throttle so the rudder is doing all the work anyways. If you’re still at the crashing-on-every-flight stage, then a tail wheel will be just one extra thing to fix every time. Good luck!
Thanks! Since without the tailwheel the micro is basicaly the scout i will get started to build that!

agupt108

Check Thingiverse for several 3D printed tail wheel options. Yould just wing it;) and do up something non stearable fairly easily. In all actuality, aside from the coolness factor, the tail skid with BBQ skewer works well.
Tail skid seems like a good option now...thanks!

Foamforce

Thanks! Since without the tailwheel the micro is basicaly the scout i will get started to build that!

The Scout is a great choice, it’s the easiest to fly of any of my planes and a simple build too! The Cub, which you also mentioned, is a little more difficult to take off and land because it tends to dip a wing at takeoff and landing. Good luck and post videos! 🙂

agupt108

The Scout is a great choice, it’s the easiest to fly of any of my planes and a simple build too! The Cub, which you also mentioned, is a little more difficult to take off and land because it tends to dip a wing at takeoff and landing. Good luck and post videos! 🙂
Ok so the scout with a balanced cg- same results:
. Any ideas as to how to have a more succesful flight?

Foamforce

That a mini-scout right? That design has a LOT of down and right thrust built in to counter the natural tendencies of this plane to go up and left under heavy throttle. Since yours went both up and left, I wonder if you don’t have the thrust angle right. To get the up thrust angle, the back of the power pod should be pushed up all the way in both the front and rear. It will look unnatural and that’s normal. To get the right thrust angle, the front of the power pod is angled to the right. Some people have accidentally reversed the power pod and put the straight side forward.

So check that, but also try a glide test. With the battery in it, throw it smoothly (like a dart) toward some tall grass or your couch. It should glide relatively smoothly and the nose should tilt slightly downward as it descends. If it doesn’t, then your CG if off. If it does, then it’s likely the thrust angle.

And maybe I should have started with this, but double check that your control surfaces are completely neutral. Use a straight edge lined up against the vertical stabilizer and rudder and again against the horizontal stabilizer and elevator. Then check that the controls are actually moving the right direction.

Good luck. Post more videos, that was helpful.

agupt108

The thrust angle seems to be the issue as the glide test was smooth. However, the foam is so damaged at this point I feel it would be better to try a re-build. Is there any plane you would recommend in particular that's on the smaller and easier side? Hopefully can be powered by a 2300kv motor. Thank you for help!

Foamforce

The thrust angle seems to be the issue as the glide test was smooth. However, the foam is so damaged at this point I feel it would be better to try a re-build. Is there any plane you would recommend in particular that's on the smaller and easier side? Hopefully can be powered by a 2300kv motor. Thank you for help!

Well first, I would encourage you to keep flying the beater. You’re going to crash again no matter how well you build and it will be a lot less stress and effort if you just keep patching this one up. These airframes can take a surprising amount of mutilation and still mostly fly. Just check that your surfaces are mostly straight. Minor visible warps are ok, but if a wing is warped more than maybe a half inch, that could start causing a lot of problems. If your glide test went well, your surfaces are probably just fine.

If you rebuild and you want to use your existing motor, it looks like the Tiny Trainer would work. I’ve never built one, but lots of people swear by them. The name is encouraging too. 🙂

agupt108

Well first, I would encourage you to keep flying the beater. You’re going to crash again no matter how well you build and it will be a lot less stress and effort if you just keep patching this one up. These airframes can take a surprising amount of mutilation and still mostly fly. Just check that your surfaces are mostly straight. Minor visible warps are ok, but if a wing is warped more than maybe a half inch, that could start causing a lot of problems. If your glide test went well, your surfaces are probably just fine.

If you rebuild and you want to use your existing motor, it looks like the Tiny Trainer would work. I’ve never built one, but lots of people swear by them. The name is encouraging too. 🙂
I have an airframe for the trainer from before...i can patch it up and try again...thank you!

Foamforce

Looking at the video again, that motor looks large for the plane. What motor is that? 2300kv isn’t the size, that’s just how fast it wants to turn. An overly large motor will make a plane very difficult to fly, including making it roll left harder than usual.

agupt108

Looking at the video again, that motor looks large for the plane. What motor is that? 2300kv isn’t the size, that’s just how fast it wants to turn. An overly large motor will make a plane very difficult to fly, including making it roll left harder than usual.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P5MYWMH/?tag=lstir-20
Sorry, I am not sure what size, this is the motor I got. Also, I am not sure if this is related, but when I taxied the plane, it went fairly straight on 1/2 throttle, but turned a circle and flipped over on full throttle.

Foamforce

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P5MYWMH/?tag=lstir-20
Sorry, I am not sure what size, this is the motor I got. Also, I am not sure if this is related, but when I taxied the plane, it went fairly straight on 1/2 throttle, but turned a circle and flipped over on full throttle.

Oh, that’s the right motor! I just misjudged the size. My bad.

Here are a couple photos of my mini-scout showing the down and right thrust angle. Looks goofy, but that’s the design!

Attachments

• 2659D7E5-7FD1-4C45-807E-DD6020864D3E.jpeg
    2659D7E5-7FD1-4C45-807E-DD6020864D3E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 9B14362B-C408-4CEF-88B7-308A85B11178.jpeg
    9B14362B-C408-4CEF-88B7-308A85B11178.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

agupt108

That makes sense. But I am noticing my plane's nose width is around 1.5 inches. Yours looks to be bigger and matching the size of other photos. Is my plane a bit too small...I am printing the tiled plans on 8.5x11 paper...

agupt108

My experience with the mini Scout is that it is difficult to fly. The tiny trainer much easier.
Hmm...so my tiny trainer was a crash too when I did it last month. I am still debating between the scout and trainer for my next build because when I checked my trainer airframe I found the damage to be worse than I had seen it...thank you for the guidance though!

MacClarkNC

When you hold the plane before launch, do you feel it trying to pull itself out of your hand? And throttle 50 to 70 %? If not I suspect a propeller or spin direction issue. It did not appear to have any thrust in the video

agupt108

When you hold the plane before launch, do you feel it trying to pull itself out of your hand? And throttle 50 to 70 %? If not I suspect a propeller or spin direction issue. It did not appear to have any thrust in the video
At full throttle I feel a bit, otherwise not much...it is going ccw for sure though with the numbers in the front and a ccw prop