FT scratch build mash-ups.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I wonder what a nutball wing as the main wing on a tailed plane would be like, like a nutball explorer or scout or take your pick or tail feathers and fuselages. I know the Nutball works well combined with pretty much any type of delta.

Tench745

Master member
There's my Versa-spear.
IMG_1055.JPG
I quote my post from when I finished it.
"When my Blunt Versa finally died I built a new version, sort of a cross between the Versa and the Spear. It uses the Versa wings without dihedral and a center section that protrudes forward much like the Spear to aid in balancing, plus a wooden spar to strengthen the wing-to center section joint. I haven't tried it as an FPV ship, but it flies on rails even inverted. I'm quite happy with it. I have some plans if you're ever interested.
There's lots of room to play around with the Versa and make it your own. Feel free to experiment once you get yours flying."

Vimana89

Legendary member
This is my RETjet. Not a mashup of FT designs, a mashup of one FT design(Nutball), the fuselage style of one forum member designed plane(Kolibri Flyer) and The general concept of a slender delta plane and everything from my previous build attempts at such a plane. Posting this here to show what a pinch of Nutball can do to spice up a design!

Attachments

• IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0

Stevo430687

This is my RETjet. Not a mashup of FT designs, a mashup of one FT design(Nutball), the fuselage style of one forum member designed plane(Kolibri Flyer) and The general concept of a slender delta plane and everything from my previous build attempts at such a plane. Posting this here to show what a pinch of Nutball can do to spice up a design!
That's a very cool looking plane.

Vimana89

Legendary member
That's a very cool looking plane.
Thanks, it flies pretty well. The long dihedrals lose some high alpha ability the shape would otherwise generate, but it loops well and has smooth pitch, and turns pretty clean with self leveling. I made this to be a cool looking, casual fun flyer or sort of a docile trainer for highly swept craft. I actually find it easier to fly than a standard nutball or most elevon deltas.

duckduckgoose

Behold! The FT SMOOTHIE! This one is a combination of Simple cub (wing) and tiny trainer (fuselage) with a twin boom tail (note: the original fuselage was too short so I added a slip-on extension over the top). I originally named it the smoothie because it was a blend of planes, but now I think it's because of how it flies. First time an experimental plane has flown first launch, and in my opinion, I much prefer it to how my original cub flew. Runs on a 3000mah 4s with a 2216 1250kv motor spinning a 8x6 prop (unlimited vertical climb) https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...ny-trainer-twin-boom-blend.59162/#post-482183

IMG_20190623_172304-01-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20190623-210914-01.jpeg
IMG_20190623_122832-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Behold! The FT SMOOTHIE! This one is a combination of Simple cub (wing) and tiny trainer (fuselage) with a twin boom tail (note: the original fuselage was too short so I added a slip-on extension over the top). I originally named it the smoothie because it was a blend of planes, but now I think it's because of how it flies. First time an experimental plane has flown first launch, and in my opinion, I much prefer it to how my original cub flew. Runs on a 3000mah 4s with a 2216 1250kv motor spinning a 8x6 prop (unlimited vertical climb) View attachment 134292 View attachment 134294 View attachment 134296
That looks friggin sweet! I like the long fuselage with the wing toward the back and love the rear pusher(no messing with thrust angle). How is the handling? I imagine it would be pretty stable and a fun flyer.

duckduckgoose

That looks friggin sweet! I like the long fuselage with the wing toward the back and love the rear pusher(no messing with thrust angle). How is the handling? I imagine it would be pretty stable and a fun flyer.
Yeah it's pretty fun, because the elevator is Behind the prop it almost acts a bit like a thrust vector at full thrust and is pretty agile, and when going slow, because the tail is so far back, it flies smooth and stable like a powered glider. Managed to do loops, and some rolls with good control. Might set up dual rates so I can snap into the rolls a bit quicker. I absolutely love it. Pity I'm going away to work and can't fly it again for a week!

Gazoo

Behold! The FT SMOOTHIE! This one is a combination of Simple cub (wing) and tiny trainer (fuselage) with a twin boom tail (note: the original fuselage was too short so I added a slip-on extension over the top). I originally named it the smoothie because it was a blend of planes, but now I think it's because of how it flies. First time an experimental plane has flown first launch, and in my opinion, I much prefer it to how my original cub flew. Runs on a 3000mah 4s with a 2216 1250kv motor spinning a 8x6 prop (unlimited vertical climb) https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...ny-trainer-twin-boom-blend.59162/#post-482183

View attachment 134292 View attachment 134294 View attachment 134296
Looks like it would be good for aerial reconnaissance. :cool:(y)

Brett_N

I wonder what a nutball wing as the main wing on a tailed plane would be like, like a nutball explorer or scout or take your pick or tail feathers and fuselages. I know the Nutball works well combined with pretty much any type of delta.

You mean like this?

Attachments

• 20190602_122729.jpg
    20190602_122729.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190602_122743.jpg
    20190602_122743.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

duckduckgoose

Ft Goblin/spectre mashup? After crashing twice and repairing the rather delicate fuselage I decided to experiment with the ft Goblin and make a twin boom version. It maintains most of the same characteristics of the goblin but allows a removable/replaceable fuselage. I also flew it fpv which helped a heap as this thing REALLY ZOOMS. A friend nicknamed it the 'giraffe' for its long neck. I'm usually more of a slow flying man myself, but with fpv it just feels fun, not stressful doing loops and rolls.
IMG_20190831_130411_315.jpg

Last edited: