FT SE5 Help

elecsual

Hi everyone, I need some help with my SE5. I just can't seem to figure out what it needs to fly.

The current setup:
A pack motor and esc with 5x3 GWS ccw prop
800mah 3S all the way forward almost under the motor
CG balanced on the upper wing crease
Throws per the included throw gauge.

On take off from the ground it will get airborn and immediately roll to the the left. If I get in the air it acts super tail heavy. If not, it'll cartwheel into the grass.
I managed to hand launch it and it was a struggle to survive. Some tail heavy porpoising, stall turns, you name it. Was lucky to crash gently.

I've moved the battery around with no success and added even more nose weight.

I must be missing something. All my other FT planes fly great.

Open to ideas. :D

FDS

Elite member
They are not an easy plane to fly in my experience. What foamboard did you use? The heavier they are the harder they are to fly.
Did you build the power pod with the firewall flat or with it on the angled face? Hand launch is always easier with the SE5.

Parramon

Hi, if you have balanced right the plane with battery and the tail is aligned in its place, it should have to fly. Also check the wings.
A picture would help a lot.
I hope this will help.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @FDS, not an easy plane to fly.
You may be better off starting with a beginner friendly design, something like the Tiny Trainer.

Reactions: FDS

elecsual

Hi, if you have balanced right the plane with battery and the tail is aligned in its place, it should have to fly. Also check the wings.
A picture would help a lot.
I hope this will help.

Attachments

• 20190419_144740.jpg
    20190419_144740.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0

elecsual

They are not an easy plane to fly in my experience. What foamboard did you use? The heavier they are the harder they are to fly.
Did you build the power pod with the firewall flat or with it on the angled face? Hand launch is always easier with the SE5.
I can only get elmers. I think its slightly heavier, but I skinned the plane anyway and removed most of the paper. My all up weight is 361gr.
Also built with the right thrust firewall.

Parramon

In the picture, the plane looks perfect.
I don´t think the weight is wrong.
Plane 250g.
Servos 10g.
Battery 70g.
Motor 25g.
Esc12A 25g.
Rx 9g.

Total 389g.
If your plane weight now 361g. you can use 28g for adjuste in the front of the plane.
Remenber, the balance point is in the fold of the top wing.

Good luck.

Reactions: FDS