FT Sea Duck

Arcfyre

Elite member
So I've been wanting a twin, and since I can't seem to keep my planes out of the water, a Sea Duck seemed like a good fit. I ordered the speed build kit and as always was really happy with the fit and finish of the parts. Something to be said for laser cut parts.

Took it for a flight today since the weather was nice. The differential throttle makes water handling an absolute dream. I have a 56" flyzone seawind that uses a water rudder, and the sea duck has vastly superior handling. In fact, my only gripe about the sea duck design is how maintenance unfriendly it is. I had to swap out a bad ESC and it was basically like disassembling the aircraft. Anyway, here are some pictures. If you're considering a twin and you have some water. I can highly recommend this design.

IMG-20181008-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20181008-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20181008-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20181008-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20181008-WA0009.jpg

Arcfyre

Elite member
It's rapidly becoming one of my favorites. I love the handling, the power, and the sound. I even wired it for flaperons so the flight envelope is incredible. I wish I wasn't terrible at painting airplanes.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I'm considering making another bottom hull section from scratch, and then using that as a mold. I was thinking fiberglass, as thin as I can find to keep it light weight. I feel like the fiberglass would absorb water impacts better, last longer, and be 100% waterproof. I would then make the upper wing section removeable so that repairs could be performed more easily. Thoughts?

miraspen

you can cut a piece of plastic to cover the bottom and that helpsalot. I also reinforce the nose with strips of foam board from the inside and under the battery tray cause it sags after some time.great flying plane though i like how you can just cut off the bottom and rebuild that piece!

Arcfyre

Elite member
you can cut a piece of plastic to cover the bottom and that helpsalot. I also reinforce the nose with strips of foam board from the inside and under the battery tray cause it sags after some time.great flying plane though i like how you can just cut off the bottom and rebuild that piece!

I agree, it flies really nicely. I don't really like how the fuselage is permanently sealed however. I understand why it was designed that way, but it makes getting to the electronics a pain in the rear. The more I think about it, the more and more I am liking the idea of a fiberglass hard shell hull. I think my in laws are visiting this weekend, but maybe I can kick them out early and get started. Might make a good article topic.

Brett_N

The SeaDuck is definitely on top of my favorite fliers list. Setup for differential thrust and it will do all sorts of weird stuff :)

BUT - a word of caution. I used hot glue on mine here in Phoenix. After a sunny day on the lake a large portion of the glue joints gave out. I'm going to build another one but use construction adhesive instead of hot glue, and then skin the bottom with thin fiberglass.

I waterproof all of my electronics with corrosionX and pack the servos with lithium grease for wet builds just in case.

slembcke

My dad and I have been building a Sea Duck over the winter, and I've been getting it ready to fly off the water for Memorial Day weekend. We tricked it out with all the bells and whistles for FPV + a return to home capable flight controller.

Last steps to do are to paint it and surface the bottom of it somehow. My neighbor friend put tape on his like recommended in the video, but that only lasted part of a season before it started coming of and took the paper with it. On a different plane he said he tried adding a plastic sheet to the bottom with spray adhesives, but that didn't stay either.

Should I just reinforce it with tape and stop speculating or is has somebody found something that works really well?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My dad and I have been building a Sea Duck over the winter, and I've been getting it ready to fly off the water for Memorial Day weekend. We tricked it out with all the bells and whistles for FPV + a return to home capable flight controller.

Last steps to do are to paint it and surface the bottom of it somehow. My neighbor friend put tape on his like recommended in the video, but that only lasted part of a season before it started coming of and took the paper with it. On a different plane he said he tried adding a plastic sheet to the bottom with spray adhesives, but that didn't stay either.

Should I just reinforce it with tape and stop speculating or is has somebody found something that works really well?
There is an old method for those with limited budgets that comes from canoes.
Cover the bottom with a light cotton fabric, (an old sheet?), and glue it to the bottom of the hull. When the glue is dry apply a liberal coat or coats of a good paint. When dry the hull will be far stronger but also water proof. Mind you it does add to the weight slightly!

Have fun!

Arcfyre

Elite member
Shame. Mine has over 150 flights on it. Still going strong! Not sure I could be without one in my hangar now honestly!

I got unlucky with mine somehow. After about 30 flights the foam was delaminating quite badly in several places. Worse than that though the elevator and horizontal stab took on a severe warp which I was unable to work out. It got so bad that the elevator would bind in flight and make for a terrifying experience.

Granted I flew mine exclusively off the water, and water resistant foam board is not water proof foam board. All in all I'm happy with the life I got out of it.

Sero

Elite member

Well I haven't used mine in water yet, but I'm confident that the tape I used will do well. its very sticky ( can be applied underwater) and thick. Will be trying it on a lake with-in the next few weeks.

https://www.gorillatough.com/product/crystal-clear-gorilla-tape/