FT Sea Otter

Ross

I see it's been released so I ordered one. When can we expect a build video?

Thanks guys, now the girlfriend might stop pestering me. LOL

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Build video typically comes out on Wednesday with the plans.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Looks like it will be a little bit tricky to fly off the water, but lots of fun. Can't wait for mine to come. I ordered a case of foam, too, just for the occasional repairs :)

Mike

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Looks like it will be a little bit tricky to fly off the water, but lots of fun. Can't wait for mine to come. I ordered a case of foam, too, just for the occasional repairs :)

Mike

It's only looks tricky in nasty weather. In calm weather it seams to handle takeoff's and landings better than any other floatplane I've seen video of so far.

I want to build a 150% size version.

Ross

Mike

Looks like a good snow plane too, half the year we deal with the snow and ice so it should get a lot of use.

HawkMan

Well better than the delta wing type float/snow/all surface planes. but not better than a more traditional floatplane with floats and steerable water rudders. They should make some float speed build kits for the Bushwacker and possibly duster/sportster.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Well better than the delta wing type float/snow/all surface planes. but not better than a more traditional floatplane with floats and steerable water rudders. They should make some float speed build kits for the Bushwacker and possibly duster/sportster.

I'll bet they will; they are just getting their feet wet with the new foam board. Sorry. :)

Mike

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor

These aren't speed build kits obviously, but they're very fast to scratch build. Drew up several sets of floats plans and have tested them out on a duster and a bushwacker so far. They work pretty darn well on water, and the bushwacker even does grass.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24068-Easy-to-Build-Swappable-DTF-Floats-amp-Ski-s

Ross

When you flip one of these over in the water is it going to fry the motor or let it dry and and fly again?? The motor is really the only electronic exposed from what I can tell.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
When you flip one of these over in the water is it going to fry the motor or let it dry and and fly again?? The motor is really the only electronic exposed from what I can tell.

Water doesn't hurt brushless electric motors, they'll even run under water no problem. Servos, your receiver, and the ESC are vulnerable however if they aren't protected.

Check out this episode:

http://flitetest.com/articles/waterproofing-electronics

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
otterfoam1.jpg

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
The Otter is a pretty easy build. More parts than the usual for a FT plane, but still simpler than some of my own designs.

FT Otter.jpg

I sealed all the seams inside the fuse by slathering hot glue into all the edges the same way I do my PBY. Should keep things perfectly sealed in case I didn't get the lower glue joints perfect.

This glue surprising doesn't add much weight. I removed some of the paper from inside the wing like I always do. I'm using C pack electronics, which are probably 30-40 grams heavier than a B pack. Between the paper removal saving, and the added weight from glue and bigger electronics I'm only 20 grams or so heavier than the specified B pack weight.

FT Otter glue.jpg

Ross

Sweet, you kept it high and dry too, even when the wind kicked up. Great spot you have to fly right there. Mine is still in the box and that makes me sad. LOL

J Bergsmith

The Otter is a pretty easy build. More parts than the usual for a FT plane, but still simpler than some of my own designs.

View attachment 69556

I sealed all the seams inside the fuse by slathering hot glue into all the edges the same way I do my PBY. Should keep things perfectly sealed in case I didn't get the lower glue joints perfect.

This glue surprising doesn't add much weight. I removed some of the paper from inside the wing like I always do. I'm using C pack electronics, which are probably 30-40 grams heavier than a B pack. Between the paper removal saving, and the added weight from glue and bigger electronics I'm only 20 grams or so heavier than the specified B pack weight.

View attachment 69558

Nice, looks like the same exact wing from the P-51.

Ross

localfiend,

I have an Emax CF2822 1200kv, 20a esc and 1300mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack dedicated for this plane. Is that good enough for the Otter in your opinion? I only bought the speed build kit and not the power pack. I do have a power pack C configuration if needed. Thanks

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Sweet, you kept it high and dry too, even when the wind kicked up. Great spot you have to fly right there. Mine is still in the box and that makes me sad. LOL

It's an irrigation pond at work. Nice safe spot to fly. If I crash, it floats to the shore pretty quickly.

Nice, looks like the same exact wing from the P-51.

Yup, it's the same wing.

localfiend,

I have an Emax CF2822 1200kv, 20a esc and 1300mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack dedicated for this plane. Is that good enough for the Otter in your opinion? I only bought the speed build kit and not the power pack. I do have a power pack C configuration if needed. Thanks

Either of those power setups should work fine. In the Otter episode, the unpainted plane had the CF2822, and the red one had the C power pack. I'm using the C pack in mine cause I like power. :cool:

If you have a bigger battery you might want to use it. The 1300mAh you have will run the plane fine, but you might have to add nose weight to make the plane balance. I always like to use bigger batteries in place of nose weight when that's an option