FT Sea Otter

Ross

I put the skid plate on and it turned out decent, reinforced packing tape too. After painting, it should be waterproof and sturdy. This will be flown in snowy conditions as well so all bases are covered. LOL

Otter10.JPG

Last edited:

Ross

I am finishing up my Otter today and used the WRFB speed build kit. Seems to be a lot of left thrust angle built into the motor nacelle, is this normal? I am assuming it is because it was laser cut. The plane is turning out great!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I am finishing up my Otter today and used the WRFB speed build kit. Seems to be a lot of left thrust angle built into the motor nacelle, is this normal? I am assuming it is because it was laser cut. The plane is turning out great!

If you built the nacelle square it should be fine as it's laser cut. There should be 5 degrees of right thrust built in, which is a little bit above what you usually see.

Ross

If you built the nacelle square it should be fine as it's laser cut. There should be 5 degrees of right thrust built in, which is a little bit above what you usually see.

Thanks fiend, I check square at every step in the build process (OCD about that probably) but I know very little about thrust angles and such. I'll trust the laser cut. It's been a fun build.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Thanks fiend, I check square at every step in the build process (OCD about that probably) but I know very little about thrust angles and such. I'll trust the laser cut. It's been a fun build.

What did it end up weighing? Mine was around 600 grams w/o battery. C pack motor and electronics. Also, I suspect the servos and receiver are heavier because of the water proofing in them. Also, I made it using the "old school hinges" using an article on this site, and I also added dowels to give the tail more support. I'll need to push the battery very far forward in order to get the CG right. Hopefully I can get a little testing in the air this weekend. Hope it's not too heavy to fly. I did set up flaperons so perhaps slow speeds will still be possible.

Mike

Last edited:

Ross

Here is mine, the GF was in charge of the paint and scheme. i think richb2599 Otter influenced her a little. :D All thats left is to slap the motor on and tweak the radio some.

Attachments

• Otter29.JPG
    Otter29.JPG
    622.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Otter28.JPG
    Otter28.JPG
    511.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Well, somehow, with everything but a battery installed, mine ended up at 702 grams. Way too heavy to fly, even with a C-pack motor and a 2200ma battery. At least I think that's what happened. The plans say 428 grams dry weight, 612 all up. What is the definition of dry weight? I assume all up includes a battery?

I think I need to learn to be much more judicious with the hot glue.

The CG was good, but the plane nose dived right after a hand launch. Ah well. It's a nice looking plane :)

Mike

Ross

Mine weighs 488 w/o battery. No prop and prop nut so it will end up a touch heavier. Haven't flown it yet.

Oh, I still need to glue in battery tray and strap too so add a little more.

Ross

^^^ I also added a plastic skid plate on the bottom with glue and reinforced tape so that is included in my weight. I probably only used a little over 1 1/4 10" glue stick. How many glue sticks did you go through?

richb2599

Just got back from flying my Sea Otter and put it on the scales. Came in at 548 grams w/o battery.

Attachments

• 20160721_173640.jpg
    20160721_173640.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
^^^ I also added a plastic skid plate on the bottom with glue and reinforced tape so that is included in my weight. I probably only used a little over 1 1/4 10" glue stick. How many glue sticks did you go through?

More than that, apparently. Anyone see any build issues other than 702 grams?

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_4774.jpg
    IMG_4774.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4778.JPG
    IMG_4778.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4780.JPG
    IMG_4780.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4781.JPG
    IMG_4781.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4785.JPG
    IMG_4785.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4784.JPG
    IMG_4784.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
700 grams is heavy, but it should still fly with the C pack motor with little issue. Tip stalls will be easier, so keep your speed up. Other than that it shouldn't be an issue.

richb2599

Mike,

What is your plane covered with? Could that have added the extra weight? Other than that, looks like it should fly. What motor is that? IT does not look like the "C Pack" from FT. Looks like it could be from the "B Pack". If so, that motor is "recommended for models up to 600 grams. Could that be part of the problem? Underpowered?

Last edited: