FT Sea Otter

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
2.5 years since a post? no love for the sea otter?

just printed 100% scale but really want to do a 60% scale, sub 226g model. any input is appreciated.

thanks,

me :cool:

CapnBry

Elite member
Built one of these for my first attempt at starting in the lake as opposed to ending in a lake. The original plan was to make the entire fuselage aluminum and just the wing yellow but I was concerned it might weigh too much. Ended up so yellow you'd think you were watching an episode of Baywatch. Thus, LAKEWATCH!
DSC07349.JPG

DSC07351.JPG

Took two tries to get the vertical stabilizer to fold right-- it is a bit of a weird wrap in the front. The rest of it went without issue. The nose didn't look very water-tight the way I fumbled through it but I covered the bottom with aluminum tape which I am sure will work about once before splitting open in a nose-first landing. Motor is a Turnigy 2212 1130KV with an 8x6 prop and the largest 3S battery I have, 1400mAh. I also have an 8x4.5 SlowFly which might be a better fit for more low and slow surface skimming. It balances just behind the CG (<5mm) but it seems to fly ok in the toss test. If needed I can tape a nickel or two to the front of the battery, which is crammed all the way forward in the nose as far as it will go.

594g with the 3S 1400mAh battery, 479g without. Will maiden on Thursday! Already have a rescue airboat ready to rescue the rescue plane.