FT Simple Cub....already building my 2nd ;)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
All printed and stuck down using a very light dusting of mounting spray glue onto two A1 sheets of 5mm foam board...

ready_for_cutting.jpg

...just the thing for a relaxing bank holiday weekend :)

Caroline

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
All cut out and the various channels done. This foam board just hates giving up its foam :)
Going to put on 1 1/2 degrees maximum of dihedral on this as it will be 4 channel and I'm not a total beginner in flying.

all_cut_up.jpg

Arcfyre

Elite member
Put a new wing on mine, it's a 5 channel with flaps. There is a post here called glider wing cub. I'm a big fan of how docile it flies with the big wing.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
very nice. i thought for sure i would be done w my cub today but....i work w/ a very unique group of students.

1 student somehow managed to kill 2 brand new servos in the time it took to turn around. the next one decided to rip out his servos for the i don't know how many times, reinstall them not centered, then went into a fit when his servo didn't work. in the process, he glued his power pod into his plane. i of course now have to fix all of this. thankfully the 2 others actually were listening, and patient in their build, and 1 completed a VERY nice looking cub. the other still needs to paint....
it will be finished tomorrow with a hopeful maiden of soon.

my student who completed his today, this was his first ever build. his aunt is an aerospace engineer and i think it runs in the blood.

20180507_135310.jpg

keep building!

laters,

me :cool:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
very nice. i thought for sure i would be done w my cub today but....i work w/ a very unique group of students.

1 student somehow managed to kill 2 brand new servos in the time it took to turn around. the next one decided to rip out his servos for the i don't know how many times, reinstall them not centered, then went into a fit when his servo didn't work. in the process, he glued his power pod into his plane. i of course now have to fix all of this. thankfully the 2 others actually were listening, and patient in their build, and 1 completed a VERY nice looking cub. the other still needs to paint....
it will be finished tomorrow with a hopeful maiden of soon.

my student who completed his today, this was his first ever build. his aunt is an aerospace engineer and i think it runs in the blood.

View attachment 106944

keep building!

laters,

me :cool:

Really lovely looking build!!!

basslord1124

Master member
Yup, I could tell quickly it was a Simple Cub, even without knowing the answer. Super easy and fun build. I am about finished with mine. Gotta do some quick touch up things...windows, and any other little details I wanna add. I have also decided that I'm gonna move my elevator and rudder servos to the rear. Have them in the general positions like the build video but the push rod wire I have (which is the longer FT push rod wire) is too flimsy for a long run, and I even reinforced with a BBQ skewer too.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Yup, I could tell quickly it was a Simple Cub, even without knowing the answer. Super easy and fun build. I am about finished with mine. Gotta do some quick touch up things...windows, and any other little details I wanna add. I have also decided that I'm gonna move my elevator and rudder servos to the rear. Have them in the general positions like the build video but the push rod wire I have (which is the longer FT push rod wire) is too flimsy for a long run, and I even reinforced with a BBQ skewer too.

I was thinking of placing the servos in the tail too! With weight moved rearward like that I may have to run with a bigger battery to balance. Longer flight times, how awful ;)

basslord1124

Master member
I was thinking of placing the servos in the tail too! With weight moved rearward like that I may have to run with a bigger battery to balance. Longer flight times, how awful ;)

I know just terrible. lol. I'm gonna attempt to run mine with a 3S 2200Mah, so curious to see how those flight times are gonna be.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Continuing with the painting this evening after work, hope to have the painting complete and the vinyl cut for the decals by close of Friday. That just leaves a trip to the model shop for wheels and undercarriage wire in Saturday. Maiden this weekend, hopefully :)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Wing painting complete, fuselage done. Minor touchups tomorrow where necessary.
Will start cutting the decals, receiver came in post today so apart from the undercarriage it will be complete on Friday!

Don't think I have ever scratch built a plane this quickly before :)