flitetest submitted a new resource:

FT Simple Cub - FT Simple Cub Free Plans

FT Simple Cub
Designed By: Josh Bixler
Floats Designed By: Andres Lu
Plans By: Dan Sponholz

View attachment 114555

Overview:
Thank you for choosing the FT Simple Cub as your next FT project. Our passion at FliteTest is to​
introduce this great hobby to as many people as possible. It is also to make that journey as fun as​
possible. This design focuses on both of these goals more than...​

Read more about this resource...

epatton

Do you know of anyone who has 3D printed a bumper/sleeve that fits over the left and right front-most parts of the fuselage? I'm looking for a way to strengthen it as my son has crashed the DIY cub several times so it's getting banged up.

Naffas

Hi. Newbie to the world of RC planes and building Simple Cub.. question... does battery goes inside power pod on in nose of plane?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hi. Newbie to the world of RC planes and building Simple Cub.. question... does battery goes inside power pod on in nose of plane?
Different persons place the battery in a wide variety of positions and places but on mine I fit the battery in the power pod though I have also flown it with the battery mounted UNDER the powerpod just behind the motor/propeller. Not all of my batteries weigh the same or are the same physical size!

If your battery fits in the power pod and the plane flies OK with the battery in that position then stick to it!

have fun!

epatton

We have the battery mounted UNDER the powerpod just behind the motor/propeller. We decided to do so in order to lower the center of gravity for takeoff/landing. But I can also see that a lower center of gravity may effect flight maneuverability.

n0ukf

Does everyone build the Cub with dihedral or has someone built it without? How does it perform this way?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Does everyone build the Cub with dihedral or has someone built it without? How does it perform this way?
I built mine without dihedral and it flies very well. The only thing I would recommend is to place paddle pop stick under the wing LE to increase the wing incidence slightly. When fitted as such the cub flies slowly and sedately. With all of its weight below the wing the plane has significant pendulum stability and so dihedral is not missed UNLESS you are a newbie who is still learning to fly!

Have fun!

n0ukf

This may fly a bit faster since I'll be trying heavier plastic foamboard rather than the usual DT foamboard. I may go ahead and add flaps (or just mix flaperons).
I had a Lanier Comet ARF 35+ years ago (crashed due to a combination of mechanical failure and lack of rudder coordination, and never got around to building its replacement) and have flown RC flight sims, so not a total newb.

I also had an idea to (after completion) make it convertible with add-on lower bipe wings.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This may fly a bit faster since I'll be trying heavier plastic foamboard rather than the usual DT foamboard. I may go ahead and add flaps (or just mix flaperons).
I had a Lanier Comet ARF 35+ years ago (crashed due to a combination of mechanical failure and lack of rudder coordination, and never got around to building its replacement) and have flown RC flight sims, so not a total newb.

I also had an idea to (after completion) make it convertible with add-on lower bipe wings.
With the heavier material you will definitely require the increase in wing incidence but otherwise it should fly quite well!

have fun!

n0ukf

I had ordered power pack B for this but considering it's been back ordered over a week, I asked about the possibility to upgrade it to pack C to ship sooner. How much performance difference is there between B and C?

bisco

Elite member
rebuilt my simplecub after a nose in. i decided to lose the power pod and go with a fixed firewall.

this allowed me to create a top battery hatch. the cg came out perfect, and there is some room to move the battery fore and aft.
i haven't put in the 3-4 degrees downthrust or 2-3 right thrust yet. a bit more repair to the wing tips and ailerons, and she's good to go. 93194C38-FC0D-40A2-8794-E23F952CB9F4.jpeg 70C2E2F6-4900-4E33-829F-612B5AA0FAF3.jpeg F3111B0F-4CEE-426E-886E-67B1B892430E.jpeg

rebuilt my simplecub after a nose in. i decided to lose the power pod and go with a fixed firewall.

this allowed me to create a top battery hatch. the cg came out perfect, and there is some room to move the battery fore and aft.
i haven't put in the 3-4 degrees downthrust or 2-3 right thrust yet. a bit more repair to the wing tips and ailerons, and she's good to go. View attachment 218302 View attachment 218303 View attachment 218304
Very cool!! I'll have to try this mod. Flying my simple Cub on a 2212 2300 kv and it's a rocket!