FT Simple Scout V-Tail Edition

Michael9865

Elite member
Do you still have your V-tailed Scout? I am building it as part of "The Great 202 Quarantine Build-Off and I was wondering about how you built the top front of the fuselage. On the plans the top plate looks to end short compared to the fuselage side. Any help that you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you.

jpot1

Elite member
Do you still have your V-tailed Scout? I am building it as part of "The Great 202 Quarantine Build-Off and I was wondering about how you built the top front of the fuselage. On the plans the top plate looks to end short compared to the fuselage side. Any help that you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you.
Unfortunately it is no more. Any pics so I can visualize the problem?

Michael9865

Elite member
Unfortunately it is no more. Any pics so I can visualize the problem?

In the plans I have added yellow arrows to point to the area in question.
FT Simple Scout V-Tail Edition By jpot1 Questions.png

Here in the picture from your first post. It shows how the turtle deck goes all the way to the front of the cheeks.
FT Simple Scout V-Tail Edition By jpot1.jpeg

Thank you for any help you can give me.

jpot1

Elite member
Sorry about that I realized the plans are in error. The red dashed line on the side cheeks is to remove the foam and fold over the paper to get a clean edge. The center fuse red dash is supposed to actually be a C fold. The other red dashed line is missing. I use a smaller power pod, it’s the normal FT one but cut off at the first set of tabs. The doubled top plate gives down thrust and a little more foam for the bbq skewers like typical FT builds. Does that help?

Walden

A few pics that should help. Basically with the tail flat I glued in the bottom vertical piece. I then folded the tail based on the gauge in the plans and glued along the seam. This locks the “v” together with the vertical piece.

The fuse is typical B folds with the bottom plate that has two notches for the bottom of the vertical piece. After the fuse is glued I then cut out a portion of the top plate (blue reference line on plans). The v tail then drops in with glue on the bottom of the vertical and where it meets the fuse.

I think it ended up looking pretty good and it’s very strong. I lucked out in that the servos fit perfectly and butted up against the v tail vertical piece.

View attachment 119260

View attachment 119261
Modified floss pics for control horns?! Not a bad idea. :unsure: Can't believe I didn't notice it in your other builds pictures.