Help! FT Simple Scout vs FT Simple Cub, and the Under Powered Storch

FT Simple Scout vs FT Simple Cub

• FT Simple Scout

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • FT Simple Cub

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Stetonion

Hey Guys I'm new to the hobby and my first plane is a storch which I've never taken out for a maiden, i think it is to big for a beginner like be so, I'm planning to build a FT Simple Scout or a FT Simple Cub.
Among those which u think is the best for a beginner flying and why, pls do vote in the poll and reply with the reason

And I read this article of the underpowered FT Simple Storch by Bayboos https://www.flitetest.com/articles/underpowered-fun, after that i thought of using a A2212 1000kv bldc motor, but after reading a few more articles I'm now under a confusion can my plane take off in its maiden.
My Storch Config :
> A2212 1000kv bldc motor (https://robu.in/product/a2212-10t-13t-1000kv-brushless-motor-with-soldered-connector/)
> 1045 prop
> 3000 mah 3s lipo (weighs about 225 g)
so will fly, will it be easy for a beginner to handle it ?

Thank you for everyone replying to this Question !!!

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Bigger=easier to learn to fly. I think your Storch will be fine, I would probably go with a smaller battery though, I think a 2200 mah 3s is one of the recommended ones for that model

RossFPV

The storch is big and easy to see but i also think the scout is great beginner plane because it can be flown as a 3 or 4 channel plane and it can have floats for winter flying.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I’ll weigh in on your cub versus scout question. I’ve built, flown and crashed three cubs. I’ve built and flown one scout and it’s still going. The scout has a much larger speed envelope and almost no tip stall where the cub will rear up and bite you if you turn to slowly.

Stetonion

Bigger=easier to learn to fly. I think your Storch will be fine, I would probably go with a smaller battery though, I think a 2200 mah 3s is one of the recommended ones for that model
Thank you for ur suggestion what about the motor I'm planning to use and the underpowered storch article? Can the plane fly

Stetonion

I’ll weigh in on your cub versus scout question. I’ve built, flown and crashed three cubs. I’ve built and flown one scout and it’s still going. The scout has a much larger speed envelope and almost no tip stall where the cub will rear up and bite you if you turn to slowly.
Scout seems a good option, and can I know the meaning of 'speed envelope' ?

Rhaps

Elite member
Thank you for ur suggestion what about the motor I'm planning to use and the underpowered storch article? Can the plane fly
1000 kv and 1045 prop Storch should fly fine BUT the motor you linked seems to have 10 A current limit. I suspect that the engine may be prone to overheat. You can test it on the ground runnig the motor with your prop on (don't get cut) with half throttle for 10 sec and touch the motor to see if it gets hot. Then 20 sec, 30 sec 1 minute. If the motor did not get too hot yet then run the same test with 3/4 throttle and finally full throttle.
You did not mention anything about your ESC, it may also heve some limit that comes into play.
Of the planes you mentioned I think that Storch is easiest to fly - It's also lot of fun even later.
Scout is also very good and your motor should be perfect for it - just get a smaller prop, maybe 0950.
Cub is not necessarily a good beginner plane (tbh I'm hesitant to call it good plane at all but ymmv)
Note that if you buy props buy several at the time. Props tend to be consumables - especially in the start.

And finally - practice first with a cheap simulator like this https://store.steampowered.com/app/509130/RCAirSim__RC_Model_Airplane_Flight_Simulator/ or something similar for the phone. Every crash you make in the simulator is off from the plane.
And second finally - don't get too attached on your first planes as usually their lifetime can be counted in minutes (or even seconds)

Stetonion

1000 kv and 1045 prop Storch should fly fine BUT the motor you linked seems to have 10 A current limit. I suspect that the engine may be prone to overheat. You can test it on the ground runnig the motor with your prop on (don't get cut) with half throttle for 10 sec and touch the motor to see if it gets hot. Then 20 sec, 30 sec 1 minute. If the motor did not get too hot yet then run the same test with 3/4 throttle and finally full throttle.
You did not mention anything about your ESC, it may also heve some limit that comes into play.
Of the planes you mentioned I think that Storch is easiest to fly - It's also lot of fun even later.
Scout is also very good and your motor should be perfect for it - just get a smaller prop, maybe 0950.
Cub is not necessarily a good beginner plane (tbh I'm hesitant to call it good plane at all but ymmv)
Note that if you buy props buy several at the time. Props tend to be consumables - especially in the start.

And finally - practice first with a cheap simulator like this https://store.steampowered.com/app/509130/RCAirSim__RC_Model_Airplane_Flight_Simulator/ or something similar for the phone. Every crash you make in the simulator is off from the plane.
And second finally - don't get too attached on your first planes as usually their lifetime can be counted in minutes (or even seconds)
Ok if this motor doesn't work which one can I use, If don't get those emax motors ?
It would be helpful if you say an equivalent to the motor in this site "robu.in" .

Thank you 😊

Last edited:

Aslansmonkey

My son has the storch. It's a very nice easy gentle flyer. It's a STOL plane so it's designed to fly slow and thus it's a good trainer.

We've both had scouts. I have my second one still. The scout, while it's the second plane I've successfully flown, is the plane I really learned to "FLY" on as the first plane (covered below) didn't have ailerons and wasn't entirely successful. If you build a scout, it'll always have room in your stable. It's just a great "go to" plane and is a very gentle flyer, yet it offers a degree of performance as well.

The cub was the first plane I successfully flew. But I only managed to fly it a few times as it's NOT as good a trainer as the other two planes on this list. If you are looking for a "cub like" plane to fly, the Tutor is a better trainer, though my personal experience would still place the storch or scout over the tutor.

A BETTER trainer than any of the above would be the Explorer. Pusher prop (less likely to break props on landing) and a lot of dihedral on a high wing plane make for very stable flight characteristics.

Stetonion

I use a simonk 30A ESC, will it over heat !?

Last edited:

Stetonion

My son has the storch. It's a very nice easy gentle flyer. It's a STOL plane so it's designed to fly slow and thus it's a good trainer.

We've both had scouts. I have my second one still. The scout, while it's the second plane I've successfully flown, is the plane I really learned to "FLY" on as the first plane (covered below) didn't have ailerons and wasn't entirely successful. If you build a scout, it'll always have room in your stable. It's just a great "go to" plane and is a very gentle flyer, yet it offers a degree of performance as well.

The cub was the first plane I successfully flew. But I only managed to fly it a few times as it's NOT as good a trainer as the other two planes on this list. If you are looking for a "cub like" plane to fly, the Tutor is a better trainer, though my personal experience would still place the storch or scout over the tutor.

A BETTER trainer than any of the above would be the Explorer. Pusher prop (less likely to break props on landing) and a lot of dihedral on a high wing plane make for very stable flight characteristics.

Thanks, I guess I'll build the scout and fly both of them (scout and storch), hope to have a great time and can i use a 3000mah 3s battery in the storch?

Rhaps

Elite member
I use a simonk 30A ESC, will it over heat !?
I think the esc will be fine altho 35 or 40 amp esc might be safer bet.
But you can test the esc temperature at the same time as the motor temp. And if you decide to fly with them test the temp after first flights too.
Thanks, I guess I'll build the scout and fly both of them (scout and storch), hope to have a great time and can i use a 3000mah 3s battery in the storch?
The recommended battery for Storch is 2200mah 3s and lighter is generally better but Storch has such a light wingloading that I doubt that the bigger battery makes any big difference. My current Storch has gone through so many repairs with extra glue and stuff that it weights about 1 kg without battery but it still flies fine.

Stetonion

I think the esc will be fine altho 35 or 40 amp esc might be safer bet.
But you can test the esc temperature at the same time as the motor temp. And if you decide to fly with them test the temp after first flights too.

The recommended battery for Storch is 2200mah 3s and lighter is generally better but Storch has such a light wingloading that I doubt that the bigger battery makes any big difference. My current Storch has gone through so many repairs with extra glue and stuff that it weights about 1 kg without battery but it still flies fine.
Hmm, what temps are normal for a bldc motor and an ESC ?

JetCrafts

Hey Guys I'm new to the hobby and my first plane is a storch which I've never taken out for a maiden, i think it is to big for a beginner like be so, I'm planning to build a FT Simple Scout or a FT Simple Cub.
Among those which u think is the best for a beginner flying and why, pls do vote in the poll and reply with the reason

And I read this article of the underpowered FT Simple Storch by Bayboos https://www.flitetest.com/articles/underpowered-fun, after that i thought of using a A2212 1000kv bldc motor, but after reading a few more articles I'm now under a confusion can my plane take off in its maiden.
My Storch Config :
> A2212 1000kv bldc motor (https://robu.in/product/a2212-10t-13t-1000kv-brushless-motor-with-soldered-connector/)
> 1045 prop
> 3000 mah 3s lipo (weighs about 225 g)
so will fly, will it be easy for a beginner to handle it ?

Thank you for everyone replying to this Question !!!
yoo another indian on the forum wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo