FT Simple Scout XL

FT Simple Scout XL 1.5

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Ok so guys I would like to build this, but I would use a .40 ASP on it.. would that work? It's really the only way I can build it. Or I spend the same amount on a suitable motor without an ESC

SSgt Duramax

Ok so guys I would like to build this, but I would use a .40 ASP on it.. would that work? It's really the only way I can build it. Or I spend the same amount on a suitable motor without an ESC

I bet it would fly fine on a C-Pack with a 1045 prop.

For 3d printing components, does it work to just scale them up 150%?

If you scaled it up in cura, I think it would scale the bolt holes larger too. Probably fine for the X mount, but maybe not for the inner holes. If you did a uniform scale up, it would probably be really thick to, and the other firewalls sponz has made are already pretty thick and beefy. They are nearly indestructible printed from PETG with 100% infill.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I bet it would fly fine on a C-Pack with a 1045 prop.

If you scaled it up in cura, I think it would scale the bolt holes larger too. Probably fine for the X mount, but maybe not for the inner holes. If you did a uniform scale up, it would probably be really thick to, and the other firewalls sponz has made are already pretty thick and beefy. They are nearly indestructible printed from PETG with 100% infill.
I think I may try....
Otherwise, I'll just sell it to a friend who has a big enough motor .
If the PPC doesn't work

SSgt Duramax

I think I may try....
Otherwise, I'll just sell it to a friend who has a big enough motor .
If the PPC doesn't work
Well, it is calling for a 2814 motor, I have two of those, they aren't that expensive. I put one on my P40 (a 3536 is equal to a 2814, just depends on how you measure them) and it was a 1200kv one. With a 10x7 prop and a 60A esc it hauls the mail and has torque everywhere.

That isn't to say that big old 60 inch wingspan couldn't benefit from more power, but I think a C pack would move it adequately enough, it just may not be that great in windy conditions. Yet again, it may, who knows. The cheapo chinese no name orange motors that I used to initially power my P40 make over 1500g thrust with a 1045 prop, so I would imagine a "nice" motor would probably do better. It still gives you better than a 1:1 thrust/weight ratio.

I like the scout, but it isn't a power house that you need to go full vertical with (to me at least) so power doesn't matter that much to me in this airframe. It is a good relaxing flyer, and as I can overpower the wind with it, it is all good. When I do build this, it will be for funsies, and I will put my cheap, orange c pack motor in it.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Well, it is calling for a 2814 motor, I have two of those, they aren't that expensive. I put one on my P40 (a 3536 is equal to a 2814, just depends on how you measure them) and it was a 1200kv one. With a 10x7 prop and a 60A esc it hauls the mail and has torque everywhere.

That isn't to say that big old 60 inch wingspan couldn't benefit from more power, but I think a C pack would move it adequately enough, it just may not be that great in windy conditions. Yet again, it may, who knows. The cheapo chinese no name orange motors that I used to initially power my P40 make over 1500g thrust with a 1045 prop, so I would imagine a "nice" motor would probably do better. It still gives you better than a 1:1 thrust/weight ratio.

I like the scout, but it isn't a power house that you need to go full vertical with (to me at least) so power doesn't matter that much to me in this airframe. It is a good relaxing flyer, and as I can overpower the wind with it, it is all good. When I do build this, it will be for funsies, and I will put my cheap, orange c pack motor in it.
I've actually got a 2217 cheapo Chinese motor, and I'll be using that. I'll just have to buy a 1045 prop

Hvon11

I love the Mini Scout; it was my first FT plane after returning to the hobby after 40yrs. Since then I have built two more. I added ailerons and just love the way it flies. I’m thinking I might just have to give this a whirl as I have an extra Cobra 3515/14 that is just begging for a plane…

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I love the Mini Scout; it was my first FT plane after returning to the hobby after 40yrs. Since then I have built two more. I added ailerons and just love the way it flies. I’m thinking I might just have to give this a whirl as I have an extra Cobra 3515/14 that is just begging for a plane…
Yes!!! Do it!!!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Did you ever get to try it with PPC? If you did how did it fly? Did you use 3s battery or 4s?
Haha lol this is a forgotten project...
Life got in the way, aswell as 2 balsa planes, a Cherokee, and a Cessna 182.
I just simply forgot about this
Also my motor I was going to use, went up in smoke.. (not rated for 4s..) midflight on my bushwacker

Gazoo

Is there a file with just the full sheets in the plan? I downloaded the PDF but it includes a lot of preceding pages and tiled pages at the end. I have access to a printer that can print the full sheet but I can only print from a USB drive. That means it prints the whole PDF.

I tried breaking out the pages I need in Adobe online but the file is locked and doesn't allow me to delete the pages I don't wish to print. I just want to print page 8-14. Is there another PDF?

ColoFlyer

I tried breaking out the pages I need in Adobe online but the file is locked and doesn't allow me to delete the pages I don't wish to print. I just want to print page 8-14. Is there another PDF?

Inkscape is free to download and use.. https://inkscape.org/
You can use Inkscape, and when you load the file it asks you if you want to load the entire document or just a page. If you select to load just a page, like page 8, it will load just that page, then you can do a Save As PDF and save that one page out by itself. Then all you need to do is load the rest of the pages you need individually and save them out. Then you can print them one by one.
Sponz locked it for a copyright reason, so I don't think anyone will break it apart for you.
But, You could also check with Sponz to see if he would break the file apart.

Gazoo

Inkscape is free to download and use.. https://inkscape.org/
You can use Inkscape, and when you load the file it asks you if you want to load the entire document or just a page. If you select to load just a page, like page 8, it will load just that page, then you can do a Save As PDF and save that one page out by itself. Then all you need to do is load the rest of the pages you need individually and save them out. Then you can print them one by one.
Sponz locked it for a copyright reason, so I don't think anyone will break it apart for you.
But, You could also check with Sponz to see if he would break the file apart.

Thanks for the info. That's perfect. I totally get why the PDF is locked. @Sponz does great work on these plans. It is really appreciated!