FT Simple Soarer - BUILD

mojoteri

Where is the CG? I couldn't find the little holes on the plans. Josh did say they are in the quick build wings. is 25% back a good starting place?

Thanks,
Morris

adergotardo

BTW, if you do make the power glider, turn on the break in the ESC. (not sure if Bixler mentinoed that in the build -- haven't watched the whole thing) A windmilling prop makes a lot of drag.[/QUOTE]

Hum... I thing he doesn't say that... I'll make my research on it.

But this morning I wonder if it work with a reverse prop. Put the motor on wing, pushing the plane. Like a delta wing.

adergotardo

I downloaded the plans and printed, but I forgot to setup the scale configurations. All plans ended fit in A4 paper format… I don't put it away but decided to build a tiny glider… Will it fly? gliderss.JPG

Attachments

• gliderss_b.JPG
    gliderss_b.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 224

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I downloaded the plans and printed, but I forgot to setup the scale configurations. All plans ended fit in A4 paper format… I don't put it away but decided to build a tiny glider… Will it fly?

not upside down ;)

that's a cute lill bugger -- I bet she'll be a nice paper airplane!

adergotardo

not upside down ;)

that's a cute lill bugger -- I bet she'll be a nice paper airplane!

Ahahah! But I made it in 3mm Depron. I've got putting some paper's pin to get "the right" CG in place… If it not fly, well, it looks good around my Hot Wheels cars…

DDSFlyer

I downloaded the plans and printed, but I forgot to setup the scale configurations. All plans ended fit in A4 paper format… I don't put it away but decided to build a tiny glider… Will it fly? View attachment 14836

That's awesome! I might have to build that for my little girl to play with as a hand glider!

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Twin boom tail, and a pusher motor and this might end up being a very good fpv platform.

. . at which point all you're reusing is the wing.

Not saying that's a bad thing -- it's a pretty wing, and a nice starting point for a scratchbuild -- but you wouldn't reuse anything else.

ttprigg

Great project I can't wait to get it in the air. So, just finished the build and I am wondering what the correct spot to locate the "hook" for a kite/high start. I gather from the challenge video that I should not use the tow hook and that it is somewhere near the CG. Thanks in advance-

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
. . at which point all you're reusing is the wing.

Not saying that's a bad thing -- it's a pretty wing, and a nice starting point for a scratchbuild -- but you wouldn't reuse anything else.

That's the great thing about scratch building. You can take a part you like from a plane and build an entire new beast from that starting point.

adergotardo

That's awesome! I might have to build that for my little girl to play with as a hand glider!

Well DDSFlayer, turns out it flys! The mini-glider made loops and turn… This is a little one got neutral CG, but it will better with a tail heavier. Try to lauch from a high ground, elevator up.

adergotardo

So, plane done, made in 5mm Depron, time to motor and props. I will put them on wing/pull props using 2mm wire to support que motor. I think it will work better if it have a little thrust angle to down… glider.jpg

Anand

the wings are about 2 inches longer then my 700mm foamboard would the needed extension better on the wing tip or in the center? and how about with the main body?

adergotardo

the wings are about 2 inches longer then my 700mm foamboard would the needed extension better on the wing tip or in the center? and how about with the main body?

I supposed this questions is for me… The wings are the same designed by Flitetest, I don't had made any modifications… Except the material, used only depron, to build the fuselage too. Oh, yeah, also I used 2mm fibers on extension in the wing to get more resistence. I'll put the motor on the wings, like I said and try to balance the right CG without add any dead weight.

psguardian

Sooo I've just printed & taped up the plans, now to gather a power system from my wreckage pile. Anyone have bare air-frame weight & wing area?

~psguardian

Corbarrad

I'd probably split the wigs into four parts, attaching the outer wing panels just like the middle joint is done. Probably run a pair of strips of extreme packing tape along the underside of the wing as well to keep it from folding under G-loads.
As to the fuselage: I've seen somewhere on this site that the kinks in the boom where the fuselage starts to narrow is already a weak point in the construction, So I'd either split it at that point , taking care to reinforce the joint as best as i could or I'd try to put the split about half way under the wing, where the forces exerted should be at a minimum...

konrad1795

Hello!
I want to build a simple soarer,too,but in Germany dollartree foamboard is not available.
Now i want to build the wing with 3mm depron and the fuselage with 6mm one.I dont want to build the wing with 6mm depron,because i tried it on the ft versa and it didnt work so well,because the 6mm one is very fragile on the cuts in the wing.The glue cant hold it really strong together.And the 3mm one could be bent without cutting in it.I would add a carbon spar into the wings of course.
do you think that it works and that its nit so fragile?
Thanks in advance!

Corbarrad

Hello!
I want to build a simple soarer,too,but in Germany dollartree foamboard is not available.
Now i want to build the wing with 3mm depron and the fuselage with 6mm one.I dont want to build the wing with 6mm depron,because i tried it on the ft versa and it didnt work so well,because the 6mm one is very fragile on the cuts in the wing.The glue cant hold it really strong together.And the 3mm one could be bent without cutting in it.I would add a carbon spar into the wings of course.
do you think that it works and that its nit so fragile?
Thanks in advance!

The foam itself doesn't make that huge of a difference. It's the fact that foamboard is covered with paper. That keeps the foam from ripping open on the outside of the bend, crushing it on the inside instead. if you want depron to go around a tight bend you need to reinforce the outside of your bend with tape before you start bending. You can help the foam along by running a pizza cutter along the intended bend line.
You can probably cover the whole outer surface with packing tape and still save weight in respect to DT foamboard.
I bought a couple of different kinds of paper backed foamboard at a local .
(german) art supply store to compare weight and stability. (I've yet got to get around to that.) What all the available foam boards have in common, though ist that they're more expensive than depron. I want to try and compare them to depron covered in DeCeFix vinyl (available at OBI, among others.)

I hope this encourages you to experiment a little, so we can share experiences.

Team_Monkey

I was waiting for my SS kit ( I ordered a few different kits with the sale going on) but couldn't take it so I built a little 1m powered glider

Flight video, but it was too windy here in NE Ohio. Build thread with info.

The idea is to build my SS with a stock wing and maybe later make a DLG wing. Why? Sure it has the motor option but it's just for the challenge. I don't have a hi-start or a buddy plane to pull me . I'm sure it will not launch as effectively like a "real" DLG glider but it's a cheap and easy experiment. :) Since I have the kit I can just trace the wing onto a virgin foam sheet. The DLG wing will only have dihedral with extreme packing tape distributing the throwing load along the length of the left wing.

Updates as they become available...

konrad1795

Hello!
I decited to buildrit in a scaled down version (75 %)
And it really works well so far (the wings are finished). I hope the scaled down version will fly good, too.
Thanks for the tip Corbarrad!